buglips*the*goblin

Reaper DHL 02235 Vanessa Redstorm (mounted)

Very nicely done. Horses are a pain to paint. I've spent a life around horses and only recently started to paint them satisfactorily myself. Part of it is the models are often a bit off and part of it is trying to get the shading right to show the muscles properly and not splotchy. I've enjoyed your other threads so a horse WIP would be interesting. One little tip, white hooves on a horse is generally a bad thing. They're softer, crack easier and have a much higher chance of going lame than dark hooves. ::):

• Like 9

SPLENDID! The Girl & her Horse are WONDERFUL creations; two of your finest pieces. The horse paints were a great investment; re, the horse is a BEAUTYVERY WELL DONE!

• Like 2

I would love to see a horse WIP!    

Vanessa is looking great, the idea of pre-mixed coat paints is intriguing and could be super helpful for base coats.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Awesome!  I really want to learn to paint horses like that!

It's very, very easy with these Coat D'Arms colours.  It's probably easier than human skin, really.  When I do my WIP you'll see it's a pretty simple way to get a pretty cool result. 

9 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I would love to see a horse WIP!    

Vanessa is looking great, the idea of pre-mixed coat paints is intriguing and could be super helpful for base coats.

It takes the guesswork out.  Horses tend to just look like they're brown (mostly), but there's actually a bit of a weird tone shift.  That's why my previous attempts were kind of close but just didn't quite get there.  They just seemed off.  Also, as an added bonus, the horse tones are useful for other animals.  They're... how do I put it?  They're very natural colours.  So they make good leathers, and they also make good (non-green) reptile skin (I painted Reaper's Carnotaurus with them, which was technically my first test).  I've even used them for fur and shields. 

In general, I tend to suggest Reaper colours where Reaper colours will do the job unless I find a paint with an unusual level of utility.  These horse tones, I think, fall into that category. 

17 hours ago, Zink said:

Very nicely done. Horses are a pain to paint. I've spent a life around horses and only recently started to paint them satisfactorily myself. Part of it is the models are often a bit off and part of it is trying to get the shading right to show the muscles properly and not splotchy. I've enjoyed your other threads so a horse WIP would be interesting. One little tip, white hooves on a horse is generally a bad thing. They're softer, crack easier and have a much higher chance of going lame than dark hooves. ::):

That's interesting, I didn't know it made any difference.  I looked up reference pics by searching "bay horse" and the example I chose had white hooves so that's why I painted them that way.  For figures that's okay because aesthetics trump most things, but that little tidbit is very useful to know.  It's also oddly appropriate, because the player character I used the miniature for had a habit of laming, mangling, roasting, or otherwise losing horses. 

Worst. Rider.  Ever. 

• Like 7

Add me to the 'wants to see a WIP' please.

I know we've talked about these paints on the hangouts before, but seeing the results is a whole different story; that's a great paint job, and it actually looks like a horse!

• Like 3

Very nice job on the figure!

FWIW, a general rule of thumb when it comes to horse hooves, is the hoof will be black/dk brown unless the fur above it is white, in which case it will be a light brown color.  Interestingly enough, if the fur above the hoof is multi colored, the hoof will be as well, i.e. if the leg is black in the front and white in the back, the hoof will be dark in the front and light in the back.  They can also be streaky.  ::P:  I have a black and white paint at home that has that.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

It's very, very easy with these Coat D'Arms colours.  It's probably easier than human skin, really.  When I do my WIP you'll see it's a pretty simple way to get a pretty cool result. 

It takes the guesswork out.  Horses tend to just look like they're brown (mostly), but there's actually a bit of a weird tone shift.  That's why my previous attempts were kind of close but just didn't quite get there.  They just seemed off.  Also, as an added bonus, the horse tones are useful for other animals.  They're... how do I put it?  They're very natural colours.  So they make good leathers, and they also make good (non-green) reptile skin (I painted Reaper's Carnotaurus with them, which was technically my first test).  I've even used them for fur and shields. 

In general, I tend to suggest Reaper colours where Reaper colours will do the job unless I find a paint with an unusual level of utility.  These horse tones, I think, fall into that category. 

That's interesting, I didn't know it made any difference.  I looked up reference pics by searching "bay horse" and the example I chose had white hooves so that's why I painted them that way.  For figures that's okay because aesthetics trump most things, but that little tidbit is very useful to know.  It's also oddly appropriate, because the player character I used the miniature for had a habit of laming, mangling, roasting, or otherwise losing horses. 

Worst. Rider.  Ever. 

It's something my dad taught me and I've seen it to be true. It's not a 100% indicator but it's one thing to look for when buying a horse. So my fancy horses for generals and heroes usually only get 0-1 white hoof while others might get more. What Mckenna35 said is true too. Usually the hoof will be the same as the hair about it. So white sock and white hoof. Minor details I pay more attention too than most just because I know horses. Part of why I like painting for fantasy is that you don't need to worry about little things like that. :poke:

• Like 5

This IS how I wanna paint horses! Awesome mini in every aspect! And please do give us that WIP, I am sure it will make many a horse mini very good looking! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mckenna35 said:

Very nice job on the figure!

FWIW, a general rule of thumb when it comes to horse hooves, is the hoof will be black/dk brown unless the fur above it is white, in which case it will be a light brown color.  Interestingly enough, if the fur above the hoof is multi colored, the hoof will be as well, i.e. if the leg is black in the front and white in the back, the hoof will be dark in the front and light in the back.  They can also be streaky.  ::P:  I have a black and white paint at home that has that.

This was the horse I used as my guide:

horsetemp.thumb.jpg.4686d75295674792747c924364749318.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jdizzy001 said:

A great looking mini. The horse is particularly nice!

The horse got all the attention because it was my focus, Vanessa Redstorm was almost an afterthought.  She looks a tad rough because I wanted to finish her off before going to bed in a half hour.  But since the horse was more the point I wasn't especially concerned with the rider. 

6 hours ago, VolksFest said:

This IS how I wanna paint horses! Awesome mini in every aspect! And please do give us that WIP, I am sure it will make many a horse mini very good looking! 

There are a number of different Reaper horses, but the common ones are what I call Type I and Type II.  Type I is like Vanessa Redstorm's horse, which is shared with Mia Hartstorm, William Drakehart, and Derek the Tall.  Type II is the one with the Anhurian Cavalryman and is shared with Dreyfus, Mtd Lancer. 

So the WIP will be 2 of Type I (Mia Hartstorm and William Drakehart) and 2 of Type II (Anhurian and Dreyfus).  So that I don't wind up with two Type I in Bay I'll be doing Dreyfus's horse as Bay, Anhurian's as Chestnut, Mia's as Dun, and William's as Roan. 

I'm not kidding when I say it's easy, you just need the base colour and some brown liner and some white.  Literally the only difference between this horse and my other attempts is the base horse tone colour, it just turned out to make a pretty big difference!  I guarantee that when I show how I used the colours that anybody can make any horse look decently good without much effort.  The principles are dead easy, and so long as you've got a horse picture to look at for placement (white spots and dark spots mostly) it should be no problem.  At least with the Reaper Type I and Type II horses and their pronounced musculature.  I'll have other horses to play with in the future (some Warlord ones, and a few Parthas) that might be a little different, but it shouldn't be by very much.  We'll see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I look forward to seeing your technique on how to paint horses. The horse in your pic has pretty close to perfect hooves. After looking at a bunch of photos I may need to rethink the shades I use on hooves. I tend to make them darker than the leg itself. That's not really how most of them are though. The best I can say is it varies. Only advice I can come up with is that usually dark legs have black to brown hooves and white legs have white to flesh coloured hooves and not as shiny as the hair. But not always. ::P:

Don't get me started on what I think of the abomination that is GW elf bird/horses. I hate those things. Not sure if they still make them or if they've switched since I was buying GW.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

FWIW, that horse has dark hooves, they're just covered in dust/dirt.  Someone brushed the heck out of him and got him all shiny, and didn't clean the hooves, or he picked up that much dust on them walking through the gravel to get to the photo spot.  I was going to take hoof pictures of my herd and realized last night that all of them have light colored hooves!  For some reason I hadn't realized that until then.  ::P:

• Like 4