nakos

Help Obi-Wan Buglips, you're paints only hope!

As the title says, help @buglips*the*goblin my friend was unpacking his hobby room stuff from a move and came across a sealed case of GW Foundation paint dated 2007. I thought I'd ask if there was anything you could suggest in helping restore them if they've separated or what not.

• Like 1

Having tried to resurrect my own old Foundations in the past...  Check if they're still liquid first, or closer to hockey pucks.  If semi-liquid, there's a chance you can thin them down and with a LOT of stirring can bring them back.  If they're hockey pucks that a toothpick can't sink into let alone dent, odds are they've moved onto another realm to join their fellow bolter shell paint pots. 

I've had mixed success resurrecting foundations I was given as a prize back in 2005 for showing up to an event with a 2/3rds primed 1/3rd bare plastic army at 40k tournament (payday was two days before, and I'd wound up putting something like thirty guys together in the 48 hours or so before the tournament started).  Most came back (I used water, but many recommend  thinner of some sorts) - most came back, some were too far gone. 

Paint shakers and wooden coffee stir sticks (or unused popsicle sticks) will be your best friend in your ressurection attempt.

I am curious as to what buglips will recommend as well! 

• Like 1

Foundation paints are a little outside of my expertise because they have a different formulation from regular paint and I haven't personally used them.  Storage conditions are the big thing here, if they've been stored in a cool, dark place they should - at least theoretically - still be pretty fresh.

If they aren't, WhiteWulfe's recommendations are solid and should be the first line of action.  Anything that's solid enough you can't push a toothpick through is a write-off.  If it's at least soft enough to push through, you can try to break it up and add water.  When I have to do this I will use a toothpick or other similar device in each hand to pry apart the goo and tease it around.  Once sufficently distributed, either the agitator (if included) will be freed out, or you can add an additional agitator (or several).  Thorough shaking should then get it back to 90%-100%.

Anything more complicated than that would be case-by-case, and unless an unusual or rare colour may not be worth the trouble.

Also, apologies for the late response - I got notifications that my name was invoked, but alway while I was tied up with something.  Then I'd decide to look up this thread when I had a chance, but kept forgetting to.  In any case, WhiteWulfe's good advice was pretty much what mine would be to start out with.  It applies to most any paint. 

• Like 4

Apologies for re-tagging you buglips ^_^

Sadly, Citadel paints don't have agitators (at least the paint pots anyways), but you can usually drop on 6mm or 8mm glass or hematite beads that will act as such.  I personally use hematite beads, but I'll be slowly switching what I have over to dropper bottles because I like them.  I'd recommend against stainless steel beads though, since too many of them will start to rust in paint. 

I'm kind of wishing I had taken pics as I tried to resurrect my own Foundation paints, but that's life sometimes. 

EDIT: Oh right...  Even if after several days of mixing and agitating your paint it comes out looking like it's liquid sandpaper....  Aka comes out looking all chunky and grainy... In my opinion it was too far gone. (end edit)

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2

I agree with Wulfe on the paint coming out like sandpaper. I had soome game colors that looked like that. I worked and worked on them to no success in the end. As far as agitators I agree with putting them in, they help a bunch. Only difference is I use lead fishing lead as they are really cheap, and weigh enough to mix the paint up. 

If the paint is drying up add liquitex flow aid and water, it doesn't take much of the flow aid.  It's something like 1 drop to ten drops of water and stir or if you have a way to shake really hard in the bottle. A vortex mixer works great but usually not the cheapest route. I resurrected the few Citidel paints I had this way, the black topped bottles. 

Let us know how it goes, and good luck. 

Edited by Jeepnewbie
  • Like 1

If it feels sandpapery, is it because the pigments have stuck together?
If so, it might be an idea to use an ultrasonic washer to break them apart.

Dump enough beads into the pot that it's no longer buoyant, close cap securely, then drop them into the bath and give them an hour or two.

Or possibly scoop the paint into ziplock bags, and suspend them in the bath. 

Probably won't work with those silly little jewelry cleaners sold on amazon, though.

(I have an 'industrial' version meant for small car parts. Stripped the paint clean off of the locking clips for my fuel injectors. )

I could try, but I don't have any paints in need of rescue...   ;-)

14 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Apologies for re-tagging you buglips ^_^

Sadly, Citadel paints don't have agitators (at least the paint pots anyways), but you can usually drop on 6mm or 8mm glass or hematite beads that will act as such.  I personally use hematite beads, but I'll be slowly switching what I have over to dropper bottles because I like them.  I'd recommend against stainless steel beads though, since too many of them will start to rust in paint. 

I'm kind of wishing I had taken pics as I tried to resurrect my own Foundation paints, but that's life sometimes. 

EDIT: Oh right...  Even if after several days of mixing and agitating your paint it comes out looking like it's liquid sandpaper....  Aka comes out looking all chunky and grainy... In my opinion it was too far gone. (end edit)

This may be a feature of its unusual composition, so foundation paint may prove much harder to recover than normal paint.  It's something I've never worked with, so I'm unfamiliar with any of its peculiar properties.  There may be a more specialized method to help recover them, but if there is I don't know what it is. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now