I am betting that, much like a "real" basilisk, this little guy is starting out cute but turning into a monster later...!

• Like 1

Sculpted the final belly skin at lunch today.  Next I'll begin the arduous work of sculpting all of its feet. They are going to take forever.

IMG_E2852.JPG.40024622f2d4a0513f05ddef2329204f.JPG

IMG_E2851.JPG.3d4573c85742c339a53cc1d32418a03a.JPG

• Like 14

I'm finally getting back to this guy.  I did a dog sculpt and some other stuff in the interim. 

Today, I have a bit of a foot tutorial for you.  I took a picture at each step of the process of making its feet.  Take from it what you will.  I apologize ahead of time for the sometimes blurry shots; I was taking them on my phone from the bench, so...

Establishing the rough foot shape:

IMG_E2893.JPG.2872c53d8ad2876bb6160a85e50bafbc.JPG

Cutting in the toes:

IMG_E2894.JPG.8c644dba6d52c3f55da3bf8f0b457686.JPG

IMG_E2895.JPG.d55168378d00dd6d4daefaf8a9cd311b.JPG

Defining the claws:

IMG_E2896.JPG.3bff8c1ccba039d33580e9ce363a8121.JPG

Defining the joints:

IMG_E2897.JPG.e88d92f00e7431b1b210f19e6247f8b0.JPG

Adding details (like rough skin and striated nails):

IMG_E2899.JPG.bb73916b2e784441d03f8c07fde30925.JPGIMG_E2898.JPG.3e6605153275ad6d2514bef7ca0e7506.JPG

I also completed one of the rear feet.  I would have done more, but I was also helping my son write a paper at the time and only accomplished about half of what I would normally get done.

IMG_E2900.JPG.b7f1ddb42e1d1951c401c9defd1e4cbc.JPG

The second foot turned out better than the first; I was kind of feeling my way through that one.  I may actually cut the first one off and redo it.  I like the way I defined the tendons in the rear foot better. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Wooohooooo, more updates to "Mr. Smiley", the happy go lucky basilisk (of doom) ! ^_^

Edited by WhiteWulfe
Came up with a better silly name :p
  • Like 3

A question comes to mind, out of curiosity...  The base you have there, is that the planned max dimensions / base size?  Can't remember if you mentioned that already or not. 

Also yaaaaay, so happy for updates on this I keep coming up to o this ection waiting to see more about the basilisk ^_^

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

A question comes to mind, out of curiosity...  The base you have there, is that the planned max dimensions / base size?  Can't remember if you mentioned that already or not. 

Also yaaaaay, so happy for updates on this I keep coming up to o this ection waiting to see more about the basilisk ^_^

The base will be 40 mm long and 20 mm wide (at the rock). The base will extend about 1 mm in front of the front foot that is touching the ground and 1 mm behind the rear foot.  The base will be fairly minimalistic, remaining as thin and small as I can make it, while connecting the feet. We don't want to add a lot to the mini cost by having a lot of metal in the base.  My instructions were for it to fit on a cavalry base (1 in x 2 in).  In current D&D or PF terms, it would be a greater basilisk.

As for the progress, I am supposed to have it done by the end of February.  I am taking Friday the 23rd off to try and make that happen.  That said I am hoping to have the feet, and all the muscle work done before then, so I can spend that day concentrating on adding the skin/scale details.

There should be another update later today, as I will be sculpting at lunch again.

• Like 11

So much for later in the day.  The week got crazy on me.

I underpinned his free feet to give me structure to build upon. I also sculpted the other foot on the rock.

IMG_E2908.JPG.a3fcd1b12456b7342d9f94ada8e540ec.JPG

IMG_E2909.JPG.941cbc8d3808fc5874d792b9a0167dfb.JPG

Today, I sculpted the left side free foot (very hard to get a good picture of it) and added basic leg muscles on that side:

IMG_E2911.JPG.99a6331d28f7913ecedb6f3e3a89e9fa.JPG

IMG_E2913.JPG.84b21e8966d60bfd141728cd4041d4ee.JPG

• Like 16

I got no sculpting time at all last night. <_<

At lunch today, I managed only to have time to rip off the lifted claw I did yesterday and re-sculpt it so that the toes and claws are the right length in comparison to the same foot on the other side.  You will note that it is bent out and to the side.  This made it easier to sculpt it well from all angles.  I will bend it back in after I finish the leg in front of it.

IMG_E2914.JPG.ecfbd5c5553010de696791663f68ef0f.JPG

IMG_E2915.JPG.e615ee3ff1690ab3a4a23a6c9ed2d58a.JPG

Only one foot to go!

• Like 18

Well, I had a productive Thursday and Friday.  I was off on Friday and was able to pretend I was a full time sculptor, until 1:00 when I had to prepare for a trip.  

I finished the feet and sculpted the forelegs:

IMG_E2924.JPG.732f50d0e3a653203ba0e49dc78ea9cd.JPG

IMG_E2925.JPG.1619cfed391c7c37b8834277c9af0223.JPG

After that, I started adding the pebbled scales to the body, in the gaps between the legs.  This doesn't look like much, but it was a fair amount of effort.  Scales take about 3 times longer than fur does (which is why I typically have to charge more for scaly critters than furry ones).  What you see here is about what I can get done in an hour and a half.

IMG_E2927.JPG.59d5e3239fd79e6832c244f54fb40541.JPG

IMG_E2926.JPG.bb1646a87d929b72e7db55533cc5b965.JPG

After this I decided I didn't like the length of the toes on the right-front foot, so I cut it off and rebuilt it.  now the nails are longer and the toe stubbier to better match the left side. (No pictures of this yet)

My client graciously contacted me and let me know that Wednesday is not a firm deadline; which is great because I was at a scout camp all weekend and my RL job is going bonkers right now.  That said, @NightyKnight is coming home from college for spring break next week, and we plan to have a lot of evening painting/sculpting time together (at least on the nights his girlfriend is working; for some reason he seems to prefer her company to mine :poke:), so I should be able to get this guy done then. ::D:

The next step is to sculpt the spines. As you can see in the above images, I trimmed the spine armatures, so they are the correct lengths now.  I'm not looking forward to sculpting these; they are going to be tedious and take forever.

• Like 15