Good morning,

I have been planning a Council of Wyrms game for a while. I will be using the old D&D box set of the same name, as the setting and using the Pathfinder compatible rules from "In the Company of Dragons" as rules for playing dragons.

For those not familiar, Council of Wyrms lets you play a dragon PC as well as some minions of your dragon. My game will be set up sort of like the Starwars Clone Wars cartoon. The players are Dragons that are part of the Council, a governing body that is composed of all the dragon types both good and Evil. The players will be primarily dragons but will have servants and slaves that they can send on missions that are beneath them or are too dangerous and will likely result in death. Again the set up is like the clone wars where they are Jedi and have clone troopers... but in this case Dragons and Slaves/servants.

The game will take place in the far past of my current custom game world. So armor and weapons will be limited to bronze age or earlier, with some iron age stuff as rare and powerful items. The overall theme will be very Greek based and I will be using Mythic battles Pantheon minis as minions and bad guys.

So... the point of this post is to ask for some help.

Dragon Miniatures. Bones has some great Dragons. But they all seem to be very big. I need Small, Medium, Large and Huge for the scope of this game. I have the bones hatchlings covering small. And I have enough "Huge" dragons. Medium and Large is the issue.

The Bones pathfinder Red is too small for Huge and on the big side for large. But is useable. Also the Temple Dragons and the D&d deep cuts silver are great large, Are there any other bones dragons that would fit "Large"? The Bones shadow dragon and Young fire dragon, are they suitable for "large"?

And Medium dragons? Are there any? I have seen a few prepainted ones in D&D ppm and Pathfinder ppm, but are there any bones ones? I am asking my players to buy 4 dragons and a "human form mini" each so I would rather not use the PPM ones as they seem pretty expensive.

So to some up. I am looking for help finding Medium and Large size Dragons. Medium being able to fit on a 25mm or 30mm base and Large on a 50mm base.

Thank you,

Bill

What you are looking for are the older Dark Heaven dragons. They were blister pack dragons but also fit the large size bases.

Examples are the Silver dragon, (now in Bones 77329) Fire Dragon (thou on the larger in the Large size base, 77109) & Shadow Dragon (77108).

Medium size dragons are the young hatchling dragons. I took all the Bones & the DHL white dragon & turned them into statues for a RCon game last year. They were all medium size statues & fit on medium size bases.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, haldir said:

What you are looking for are the older Dark Heaven dragons. They were blister pack dragons but were also fit the large size bases.

Examples are the Silver dragon, (now in Bones 77329) Fire Dragon (thou on the larger in the Large size base, 77109) & Shadow Dragon (77108).

Medium size dragons are the young dragons. I took all the Bones & the DHL white dragon & turned them into statues for a RCon game last year. They were all medium size statues & fit on medium size bases.

Ok. Great so the silver, fire and Shadow are large. Great. On the list they go.

Medium are the "young" those aren't the "hatchling" ones right? I will take a look. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, alchemist said:

There are small dragons (pseudodragons) in some of the familiars packs.

Hmm. I may actually have a couple then... Have to look through the bits box.

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 1

Correct, it's the hatchlings that fit the medium. Young are slightly bigger. If there was a base size between medium & large they'd fit perfectly on those.

Also, the Amber Dragon (DH 2457), Guardian Dragon (DH  2453), Oriental Dragon (2794) all fit as well. Guardian is big, but it still fits the base.

• Like 3

I think the others hit the Reaper ones I know of.  Dark Sword  Miniatures also carries several dragons in the Large size category, sculpted by Denis Mize (I'd provide a link, but would then have to mod bat myself for commerce link violation). See images in the Spoiler.

Spoiler

v_dsm7003_rs_dirk.jpg

V_dsm7002_ls_p.jpg

v_dsm7005_ls_dirk.jpgv_dsm7006_ls_dirk.jpg

v_dsm7004_fls_dirk.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I think the others hit the Reaper ones I know of.  Dark Sword  Miniatures also carries several dragons in the Large size category, sculpted by Denis Mize (I'd provide a link, but would then have to mod bat myself for commerce link violation). See images in the Spoiler.

Those look pretty cool. Thanks

• Like 2

03410: Dragon Familiar is on the long end of Medium...

77176: Familiars has a Bones fairy dragon that's Tiny...

02756: Familiar Pack IV has a dragon, as does 02969: Familiar Pack VIII...

Also, consider checking out ebay for some of the old Ral Partha and Grenadier dragons... Some of them were on the smaller side for dragons, and being true 25mm are just smaller in general.

• Like 5

The old Grenadier Dragons of the Month II were really nice. I still have a few. Some of their Dragons of the Month (first series) were OK, some better than others. A bit more primitive by modern standards however. I base most of mine on 40mm or 50mm rounds.

Damon.

• Like 4

I am going to commit a bit of heresy here - you may want to look at some of the better toy dragons out there - companies like Papo, Safari, and Schleich have been making some rather acceptable dragons for a while.

81zL7yjYksL._SX355_.jpg

10145-Ice-Dragon_1_2.jpg

141843.jpg

They won't necessarily be any cheaper than Bones dragons - but can add a bit of variety.

The Auld Grump - though for smaller dragons, you can often find a bunch together at a low price

• Like 3

The Schleich dragons I have seen haven't just been of high sculpting quality, but also have a good variety of styles. I don't think they'll need more work to fill in gaps and paint than a typical tabletop dragon. Gonna have to think about picking one or two up myself, now...

• Like 1