Needing a bit of a break from painting West Wind's massive Tiger Mecha (and hoping to work on all the camo for all the German vehicles at once) I've decided to work on the 3 German Panzer Mechs from West Wind's Kickstarter.

3_panzermechs.jpg.7c7ff07bef8066d13dc1e32950cfeb7f.jpg

Here we have, from left to right, the Stug Mech, the Logi Flamm Jotun, and the standard Jotun.

As you can see, these are still some pretty big chunks of resin.  The castings on these new Panzer Mechs are super clean, crisp and smooth.  Quite lovely.

So after way too much base coating with the Tiger, I've found all the bits for the air brush and started practicing to get the mix and pressures ok for at least base coating.

I have some old VOID resin scatter terrain that I'd primed the last time I started playing with the air brush (I've got a couple more pieces with a base coat in blue somewhere).

Grabbed the green from the late german paint set from Scale 75 (it has a very similar consistency to the dark yellow I'll be using for base coating), messed with the thickness a bunch and eventually got a base coat down.

barrels_test_basecoat_ends.jpg.6bc717f1028930422e59a7d4d25fc401.jpgbarrels_test_bascoat_top.jpg.2e701192e4dab4e0ceb12b4f0daed10a.jpg

To me it seems to have come out ok.  Thoughts?

Tomorrow I'll hopefully get some prep done on one of the Mechs.

• Like 8

Looks good so far.  The camo colors were issued as a paste, and then thinned and applied by the troops in the field so the shade/intensity could vary significantly.

• Like 2

Oh yes, I'm planning to vary things, I'd just like to get them similar in terms of the washes, weathering, etc.  And it should make it easier to have everything I need for all of that out at once.

I didn't end up having much time today, between getting a Doctor's appointment so he could look at my reoccurring inflamed wrist (luckily on my off hand), trying to tear my snowblower apart to fix or replace the impeller, and then dealing with the window breaking in the garage door while I was doing that.  Sigh. I suspect tomorrow may be busy as well, as the door needs a permanent solution.

Still, I managed to get some prep done on the Jotun.  It is ready to get washed and then I need to decide how much to assemble before painting.

Had to give it a bit of a test fit.

jotun_test_fit.jpg.53fa4b0e98b919a3856b2e9e1d1ab155.jpg

• Like 6

Had a few minutes after priming some skelebots, so took a look at cleaning up ad test fitting the Jotun Logi Flamm.

flamm_test_fit_front.jpg.404e5000ef875322758fa9df5c963ecb.jpgflamm_test_fit_side.jpg.caf2ec0e5e17a6c8d6f5eb4d62f00665.jpg

Overall the resin was pretty clean.  It came with most of the flash and mold lines already cleaned up.  There are a couple of bubbles on the back of the machine gun arm,  and that mark on the back...fuel tank, I guess?

I'll likely pin the hose for the flamethrower to make sure that is a solid connection.  The arms are nice ball and socket so lots of options there.

• Like 7

After finishing painting this morning I cleaned and test fit the Stug Mech.

stug_test_fit_front.jpg.9cdd027709a76e8e5b00dae0427ab6a7.jpgstug_test_fit_side.jpg.5b5582ee919f0a8b6fc5bc1c93a89313.jpg

Really like this one!

A couple bubbles on the arms that will need filling but otherwise nice and clean casts.

So up next for these 3 is to give everything a good wash, fill a few bubbles, and decide what can be glued now and what needs to stay apart for painting.

Then priming.

• Like 6

Began gluing some bits on the Jotan.

jotun_started_gluing.jpg.b325e433cae1ba9f9e83cb7ef0da4400.jpg

Giving those some time to cure since I kept bumping pieces.  Barrel will definitely go on the gun.  Fuel tank will probably go on.  Light clusters, not sure yet.  

• Like 5

Only had a few minutes before I head to do boring real life things, but got the Jotun closer to assembled.

jotun_barrel_fuel_glued.jpg.8e51744d42b6ab6df411512c7ad2014b.jpg

I found  Sir Forscale so threw him in there just to give an idea just how large this "handheld" gun is.

Just need to decide on the light clusters (and how to support the gun for painting, wire in the left wrist socket most likely) and he's ready for priming.

• Like 5

Its a beautiful day today, and my schedule is wide open, so of course I don't feel like painting. :blink:

Can't seem to stay focused on any one things, but I've at least done a bit of assembly.

jotun_ready_for_priming.jpg.92aabc416615c1126b2c7948cf8bef4b.jpg

Jotun is ready for priming.

flamm_pinning.jpg.adcefc13769fb0de417e54eb4c9babd2.jpg

The Flamm has its exhausts glued on and I've started pinning the fuel line to the back of the flamethrower.  Just letting that set up then line up and glue it to the gun.

I'm going to leave both arms off for now as the block a lot of the body for painting.

Might try to figure out what I want to assemble on the Stug then too.

• Like 2

Finished pinning the fuel line onto the flamethrower.

flamm_pinned.thumb.jpg.c377ae8b305fd6bf75e9830bf605afa7.jpg

Also put in some temporary pins to hold the arms (and the arm/gun on the jotun) for painting.

Now trying to decide how much of the Stug to assemble before painting.

• Like 3

And a start on the Stug.

stug_one_leg.jpg.2df402751c3d3f787bd7f3e984911a71.jpg

Trying to hold 4 pieces together to glue is a bit of pain, I blue tacked 3 and just glued the one but it still seemed like an very long time to hold everything still...

"Should" go easier with the next leg.  Haven't decided if I want to glue the feet one now or leave it separate to make painting a bit easier.

• Like 3

So, the Stug hates me.

It just refuses to glue up.  For some reason the hip and ankle joints refuse to set up properly.

Though I might not have used enough glue to get good contact.  Nope.

Thought it might be the surface was too smooth, so I roughed them up.  Nope.

So, trying a different bottle of glue (even though the other bottle worked for everything else, including the Stug's guns).

stug_assembly_4.jpg.7e286114f3c19c7b02f2f9ebc95966e0.jpg

Gluing all 4 joints at once to minimize putting stress on them to get everything lined up.  Using blutac to minimize any shakes or jiggles from me holding it.

This doesn't work I may need to pin them or use apoxy (both of which I was trying to avoid for this nice big, lots of surface area joints).

• Like 4