Couldn't resist the silly-ish title - it was originally going to be "Novice Painter, versus LTPK:Core!" but I changed it a touch at the end..  Bonus points if you read that as the Innkeeper from Hearthstone. :P 

While I have painted miniatures in the past, I've first and foremost never shown such results to anyone, and secondly went in blindly with those ones, and while I was happy with them at the time, I wanted to improve.  Other things in life took over for a while, and then finally I said that's it, I'm either going to FINALLY paint my primered army of doom that was at Doom In June 2005 or I'm going to sell the minis I've had sitting in boxes for over a decade.  So glad I found out about the Learn to Paint Kits, because that pretty much solidified that decision right then and there :P

Anyways!  At some point we were all at this stage, and while looking over the pictures I can see a number of things I can improve on (*cough* like my up close photography skills *cough*), but for most things...  I'm happy with them.  Especially the chain mail on the Orc Marauder.  I just might have to retake some of these photos, because I realize looking at them that, uhm, first and foremost f1.7 blurs half the model, and secondly, I didn't get a shot of the backside of the Marauder's Shield, which I was also happy about.  Oops. ^_^

But before I ramble on for three pages......!

5a729c19b52fc_SkeletonFront.thumb.jpg.728beed293ffadaaf613bdcaa91cebca.jpg5a729c1ad43e0_SkeletonRear.thumb.jpg.e45257c41f21f6bc0ef1397e18e07eee.jpg

5a729c2c355d3_OrcFront.thumb.jpg.bf1b8e62f1e7d1fb9e4228fa34700c20.jpg5a729c2e087b3_OrcRear.thumb.jpg.f994165838d65ea2049850e5e9dd8632.jpg

5a729c350b6d1_MagnuFront.thumb.jpg.84f25e210c1bbef0eae421a4f0fa9990.jpg5a729c382ba32_MagnuShield.thumb.jpg.6d54ba9b2c6a66f8552c59f483e099c3.jpg5a729c3681fe1_MagnuRear.thumb.jpg.2456993af082ee118e21a8fdd522bad5.jpg

Drybrushing feels sooooo weird, but it was starting to click once I got to Magnu, even if I wound up overdoing it in a few areas and it so wasn't a dry effect anymore.  But that's life, we learn from our actions! ^_^

Edited by WhiteWulfe
Changed topic name to be more in line with forum guidelines/rules
  • Like 10

They look pretty good!

You can be proud of these!

A little nitpicking ( to help you improve) the skeleton needs a little touching up with bone colour, you have a few tiny blue spots on his back.

And while these are good, you could enhance their look even more with a wash to darken the recesses.

Keep them coming!!!

• Like 3

I noticed those blue spots as well when I was cropping the photos.. I'll touch the skeleton up at some point, because it bugs me too ^_^;;;

As for washes, right now the biggest issue I seem to have is with pressure when drybrushing...  I'm either using too much (see the skeleton's left rib cage as one of the biggest examples, where there's pretty much no shading despite having done the wash a second time), or not enough (see the orc marauder's shield, especially in between the lower three spikes).  Another part I know I moving to need a lot more work on is making sure there's less paint when drybrushing, as it's a fine art that for the moment seems to elude me... But that's what practice is for, right? ^_^

• Like 2