TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2018

7 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I also can't believe just how few people younger than me can read a map, and rely absolutely on a GPS to get them around....

My wife and MIL gave me a car gps years ago because we went on trips every year and it was handy. Found out fast that you needed to have some idea of where you were going on a map or the gps could get you into trouble. Had a lovely trip the wrong direction  through residential Toronto when I first had it because I didn't realise the address I was looking for was Mississagua and not Toronto proper. Also had a very long trip in the middle of the night through downtown Toronto because the gps took me on the direct path when the freeway around would have been 10 times faster. I think the newer phone apps are more accurate than that old gps but I've still seen inaccuracies. After that our navigation method changed to find address on map, memorise rough travel route and then hope the gps didn't deviate too far from that route. Seems to work because I survived driving in rush hour traffic in LA and Beverly Hills which is an experience and a half for a prairie boy.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Zink said:

My wife and MIL gave me a car gps years ago because we went on trips every year and it was handy. Found out fast that you needed to have some idea of where you were going on a map or the gps could get you into trouble. Had a lovely trip the wrong direction  through residential Toronto when I first had it because I didn't realise the address I was looking for was Mississagua and not Toronto proper. Also had a very long trip in the middle of the night through downtown Toronto because the gps took me on the direct path when the freeway around would have been 10 times faster. I think the newer phone apps are more accurate than that old gps but I've still seen inaccuracies. After that our navigation method changed to find address on map, memorise rough travel route and then hope the gps didn't deviate too far from that route. Seems to work because I survived driving in rush hour traffic in LA and Beverly Hills which is an experience and a half for a prairie boy.

Oh, I have no problem at all with it being used as a tool to offload strain, and in the function it was designed for...  I just can't believe that so many out there rely on JUST the gps to get around.  I'm referring to the people who panic because the battery died, or they forgot the charger cable at home - people who literally can't function without it. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 7:

What are your thoughts on modern smart phones and how much do you rely on one?

I believe the modern smart phone is a wondrous tool.  It lets me connect to the internet and easily look up something no matter where I am.  I used mine, this morning, to find out I've been mispronouncing "caste" all these years.  (Oh well.)  It lets me call people when I'm out and about.  It lets me call work when I've just been in a car accident (fortunately, this happens very infrequently).

And it lets my boss call me at 3 am if there's an emergency.  Or at 9 pm if he doesn't understand something he's supposed to be doing (despite several emails and a wiki with written instructions).  It would let me know when a coffee mug-facilitated DDoS attack has impacted service to one of our data centers.

It's a wondrous tool and a leash.

For work, I rely on it pretty heavily.  It's my pager for when something has broken (again) and it's how I keep in touch with co-workers when I or they are out of the office.  At home, I don't think I rely on it too much.  (I have a cellular-capable iPad for most of my personal needs.  And for tethering when I have to save the world (fix broken servers, etc.) from the middle of a highway in another state.)

• Like 7

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 7:

I only have one because it was free, and I immediately lobotomized it of all its "smart" features.  Although I will admit that since people text me more than they call me, I do appreciate the convenience of being able to ignore them more easily. 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 8
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Zink said:

Pittsburgh has a fair number of hills, and a great many stairs for pedestrians to traverse these hills. Many of these stairways are not parallel, much less connected, to any thoroughfare for motorized transportation. Such stairs have street names to make it easy to find them on a map... So there are places in and around Pittsburgh where a Garmin or TomTom might tell you to turn left onto, say, Oaky Way, and there is no road to be found.

It's usually ok, because a bewildered driver will see there is no road and drive on until the device recalibrates, especially if the stairs are leading UP the hill. There is at least one instance, however, of a driver seeing a gap in the trees on the side of the road just as the GPS said, "now turn left," and suddenly finding themselves driving DOWN a set of very old concrete steps on the side of a very steep hill.

This is to say, the problem with GPS wayfinders, when there is a problem, isn't just with an inability to read maps, but also with a lack of situational awareness.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 7:

It's a nifty toy. I don't have one yet.  My phone is several generations behind, and only acts like a phone, which is all I really need it to do.  Since I spend most of my time at home I don't feel the need for internet in my hand, but the change is inevitable.   DH has one that we use when we are out together or traveling away from home.  Meanwhile I use such arcane methods as: looking things up before I leave the house, writing phone numbers on a piece of paper, and using a printed map and street signs to get around.  When a "smart" phone becomes more useful, I may upgrade.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I like my smartphone, but I can easily do without it. It makes some things handier, but I honestly dislike being connected all the time everywhere. There are evenings and weekends when I turn it off after I get home. 

If I didn't have it, I'd still get by  just fine without the things it provides for me. 

On the other hand it saves me from having to use an alarm clock. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 7:

I think they are an amazing tool though generally overpriced. I could buy a decent computer for the prices of some of them. 

I rely on mine quite a bit. I basically use it a lot for my minis stuff. I have an Instagram that is fairly successful and keeps the minis out of my personal account. I'm hoping to be able to sell them soon so having my phone to reply to people when I'm not home is very convenient. It also has a very good camera which I'm still trying to tweak the details on it to get perfect photos  but most of the time it just takes good photos without the tweaking. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 7:

They are a useful tool/neat toy.

I try not  to rely on it.

• Like 7

I finally got one two years ago when my kids activities and the conventions I needed to go to for work required them for coordination.  The real push was the Boy Scouts, where it was impossible to stay in the loop about where the boys were and who was doing what for camp with out having one.  I was always "that" parent who everyone had to coddle because I wasn't in the loop.

I love a lot about my phone. I use it mostly to text and for e-mail.  More recently I use it for mini photos, because it take nice pictures more easily than my camera.

I hate the way phone make everyone think that I should be at their beck and call 24/7.  I reserve the right to turn it off and not answer it when I don't want to.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I never answer my cell phone. My family and friends know this and I do not give the number out to professionals and contacts.

This means I never feel under any obligation to answer it if it rings.

The kids prefer to text anyway.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 7:

I find them to be overpriced with overpriced data plans and filled with apps that want to gather all the world's personal data in order to monetize it.  To be fair, the masses already give away all their data on facebook but I like to hedge my bets against a dystopian future.  I do have a decent android tablet that I stick my apps on and make use of on free wi-fi.  It can be handy but I could live without it.  Also, I'm not paying for a data plan so check your bill and convert $$ saved into minis.

At some point I'm sure I'll be forced to upgrade but it hasn't become necessary yet.

• Like 6

I turned down a job once, because they wanted to pay me minimum wage AND carry a pager.

Nowadays, I communicate via text with the entire team, regardless of where we are in the building... on my own phone.

Someday, I'm going to be paying someone for the privilege of coming to work...

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 7:

They're definitely handy though it seems a good percentage of folk that own one are practically addicted to their usage.  I have to wonder how staring at a screen of that size for hours a day will effect one's eyesight over say a decade or two. Not to mention holding a microwave transmitter beside one's head when making a call.

I don't own one- yet. :wacko:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Auberon said:

I find them to be overpriced with overpriced data plans and filled with apps that want to gather all the world's personal data in order to monetize it.  To be fair, the masses already give away all their data on facebook but I like to hedge my bets against a dystopian future.  I do have a decent android tablet that I stick my apps on and make use of on free wi-fi.  It can be handy but I could live without it.  Also, I'm not paying for a data plan so check your bill and convert $$ saved into minis.

At some point I'm sure I'll be forced to upgrade but it hasn't become necessary yet.

Don't forget the sweet talking they do when you want to get a new phone...  Always have to get a new plan for some reason, and your add-ons don't always work so need new that, and despite them saying it'll be the same cost for some reason it always winds up being at least another $40 per month.  I'm really wanting to get this bill back down below $200 per month for two lines...  But one problem is some of our hobbies use a LOT of data when you go out (Pokemon Go is the main culprit) 

• Like 3