TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2018

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 8:

Do you carry cash for small purchases or rely on other means?

(This questions stems from an encounter a the CS this morning where the guy in front of me used a credit card to buy a $1 cup of coffee and it got me wondering.)

I carry a small amount of cash, but only use it as a last resort.  I put everything on my credit cards and just pay it off at the end of the month.  I don't have a debit card.

• Like 5

February 8:

(This questions stems from an encounter a the CS this morning where the guy in front of me used a credit card to buy a $1 cup of coffee and it got me wondering.)

Usually pay cash for purchases  under £10.

I'm right behind Dilvish about tipping in cash, heard too many stories about restaurants etc holding back staff gratuities.

At shows I always ask if the trader prefers cash or a card, got to keep our suppliers happy!

Oh, and I usually carry a moderate wad of dollars at sea. It's still the international currency and yes, there are plenty of places where palms still have to be greased.

• Like 5

February 8:

I primarily use a credit card for my purchases, which I then pay off at the end of the month.

I feel silly swiping charges of less than $5 so I try to use cash for those.  Unfortunately, I only get cash occasionally and forget to get more when I run out (since going to the ATM is a special trip) so sometimes I do use my card for $3 charges.

• Like 6

February 8:

I very rarely have much, if any, cash on me. Having small amounts of cash on me is actually more dangerous to my overall wealth than having large amounts of cash on me. Things like 1 and 5 dollar bills magically disappear from my wallet, seemingly with nothing to show for where they went (unless you look at my waist). :p

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 8:

I do tend to use cash when I'm in shops and stuff, I don't know why but it just feels right.

• Like 4

February 8:

I usually have cash on me because it's easier to follow a budget when you know how much cash on hand that you have. I do use my debit card as well when need, but early in my adult life I found that it was difficult to keep track of my expenses if I exclusively used debit cards.

• Like 6

Hmmm... methinks @TaleSpinner is trying to figure out which of us would be best to level up his pick pockets skill... devious sir, very devious. :blues:

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

February 8:

Yes. I tend to use my credit card for everything except places that I can't because I collect points on Air Canada flights. But I've also had my credit card info stolen several times this year alone. I went to the local hardware store one day and none of my credit or debit cards would work and I didn't have the $30 that day. So I try to keep some cash with me.

• Like 5

February 8:

Yes, because there are still places here that only accept cards if a purchase is over a certain amount.  Usually the mom and pop eateries and small business owners, and in the summer I get random people wanting to mow the yard for us. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 8:

Generally, I do not carry cash. Only when I have change after something where I absolutely HAD to pay in cash (they still exist). Eventually, I usually hand that change over to the kid for his lunch.

I've mainly relied on my check card (or whatever we're calling it now) for most purchases for... I don't know, really. Twenty years now? A little more than that.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 8:

I don't personally carry cash. I probably should though with the amount of fraud that has happened on my card but I need a card if I'm going to do online purchases.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 8:

Unless I'm at the laundromat, I only use debit or credit, so I rarely have cash on hand. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 8:

I always try to keep a small amount of cash on me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 8:

I always carry some cash for small purchases. Heck, sometimes I carry cash for large purchases.  Some stores will pass along the savings from not processing the credit transaction if you ask.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

I always try to keep a small amount of cash on me.

I always try to keep a small amount of cash... but nice new miniatures keep getting produced!

• Haha 5