TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2018

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 9:

Did you watch the Opening of the Winter Olympic Games?

February 10:

Do you plan on watching the Winter Games?

February 11:

What is your favorite winter sport?

I watched some of the opening ceremony, and I am sure I will watch some of the games.

In the last Winter Olympics I discovered ski cross and snowboard cross, which I think are much more exciting than other skiing and snowboarding events by virtue of having multiple competitors racing each other rather than individuals going against the clock or judges or whatever.

• Like 3

February 9:

February 10:

February 11:

Feb 9: Think they are on tonight? Anyway, won't watch it as it airs because we'll be out of town, but Mrs. Gargs will no doubt record them.

Feb 10: Not every night, but yeah.

Feb 11: Typically, hockey. However, as far as Olympics are concerned I honestly have always really dug the Olympics and like a lot of the sports. Speedskating, Skiing, Bobsled (though not luge as much for some reason). Ironically, Figure Skating is probably among my least favorite of the sports that get air time during the Olympics. All that said, I don't really watch any of those sports outside the Olympics.

• Like 3

February 9:

February 10:

February 11:

I did not watch. I vaguely knew that it happened. 

I will probably see a few events later in the process of Youtube puttering. 

I enjoy figure skating and skiing to watch, and I used to ski myself. Otherwise my winter sport is Hot Tea, Hot Chocolate, and Computer Gaming. 

• Like 4

February 9:

February 10:

February 11:

Feb. 9 - Didn't see the opening, I'll try to find out on YouTube later.

Feb. 10 - Due to the time difference (14 hours, I think), I probably won't see any events live. Might catch a recap once in a while.

Feb. 11 - Favourite winter sports to watch are probably hockey and curling.

• Like 3

Nope, I worked last night, thus I was probably asleep when they started.

I will watch them. I'm not a Go Team USA kinda person, heck to be honest if we finished dead last I'd be happy.

Ice Hockey, no doubt. I've had a love for the game since probably middle of 8th grade. We moved to anther town, just my mom & I after her divorce & she got cable. Flipped it on one night & there it was the a replay on ESPN of the Devils & Flyers. I've been a fan ever since. As far as Olympic sports, I like hockey, bobsledding, some of the skiing & snowboarding events. I loathe figure skating, mainly cause NBC just falls head over heals for that event & thinks everybody has to see it every freaking time it's on. YAWN......

• Like 3

February 9:

They started already? O_o

February 10:

No real plans for such. 

February 11:

Red Bull Crashed Ice, because its not only fun not watch, but seems like it would be a ton of fun to do. 

There is no correlation to the fact construction on the track started today, that I watched the finals in its entirety last time it was on town (via livestream), or that I usually complain heavily about losing two of the main roads I use to get around for a weekend - this time I have that weekend off mwa ha ha ha ha (by actual sheer coincidence, I swear) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 9:

February 10:

February 11:

Don't get it on the channels that I have.

Don't get it on the channels that I have.

Doesn't matter, Canada will WIN ALL THE GOLDZ!!!!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Just now, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Doesn't matter, Canada will WIN ALL THE GOLDZ!!!!!!!!

I actually root for Canada in the Winter games, especially ice hockey. 

s-l300.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 9:

February 10:

February 11:

9) In my area, all the TV stations are saying that the opening ceremony is today, but they started doing some figure skating stuff last night, so I'm confused  how they started competing before it started. My wife wants to watch it, so it'll be on in the same room I'm in. I'll probably pay at least a little attention.

10) Plan? No. My wife is, so I'll see some of it here and there.

11) To watch? Hockey. Although I also find quite a few of the other sports in the winter Olympics interesting, too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

9) In my area, all the TV stations are saying that the opening ceremony is today, but they started doing some figure skating stuff last night, so I'm confused  how they started competing before it started. My wife wants to watch it, so it'll be on in the same room I'm in. I'll probably pay at least a little attention.

10) Plan? No. My wife is, so I'll see some of it here and there.

11) To watch? Hockey. Although I also find quite a few of the other sports in the winter Olympics interesting, too.

Some sports have some sorta pre-qualifiers before the games even start up. I know in the Summer "Disaster" Games of Rio, the soccer teams played games before the Olympics even started up. Some sorta seeding I guess. Also it may be due to amount of teams in the sport perhaps?

• Like 3

I didn't watch the opening ceremonies (because I don't have cable).  I won't watch the Olympics on TV (because its not on Netflix...I did watch the second season of Ultimate Beastmaster though).  My favorite winter sport is snowboarding.   Not to watch, to do.  I was a skateboarder for a long time and the skill transfers over fairly well, so minimal practice or effort needed in order to have fun.  I only go once or twice a year at most in recent years because, you know, cold.  I lived in the arctic for two years so I've done my time being cold.  Thanks very much Reaper for having free shipping!  Otherwise I'd have gone crazy.  I'm going to get a hot chocolate.  That's enough talking about the cold for me. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 9:

February 10:

February 11:

Nope, Nope, and Nope

• Like 2

Negative to all three, and let my example serve as warning to all parents out there.

It IS possible to give your non-sports-enthusiastic kid a lifelong aversion to sports in general by having a game/fight/match/tournament/etc. going at all times on every television in the house until he is old enough to move out.

Moderation: think about it, won't you?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2018 at 8:10 AM, TaleSpinner said:

February 7:

What are your thoughts on modern smart phones and how much do you rely on one?

I think they're great but easily misused.  I use mine a lot, but wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't have it.  In fact I'd probably go back to reading.   I actually don't like cell phones, all I really wanted was a computer that fit in my pocket.

On 2/7/2018 at 9:32 AM, Gargs said:

How did I ever manage to go to the bathroom without one?  ;)

Seriously though, I find them useful for a variety of reasons, but would certainly survive if you took it away.

That's were I used to do almost all of my reading.

On 2/8/2018 at 7:57 AM, TaleSpinner said:

February 8:

Do you carry cash for small purchases or rely on other means?

(This questions stems from an encounter a the CS this morning where the guy in front of me used a credit card to buy a $1 cup of coffee and it got me wondering.)

I mostly use debit but do keep a little cash on me.  The only time I make a point to use cash is when I am in a bar. The last thing I need is to forget my card because I started a tab.  Also helps curb the potential for overindulgence.

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 9:

February 10:

February 11:

9: no

10: most likely not

11: living in Texas and not having to deal with winter

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 9:

February 10:

February 11:

No, no, and by virtue of being the only sport I watch this time of year, college basketball.

• Like 2