TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2018

At work I'm using less paper than when I started this job. I'm down to about 25% of what I used during our busy season. I still use a lot of paper, and most of it will be shredded in a few years, but it's less than it used to be.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 12:

As society becomes more electronically motivated, the demand for the printed word is decreasing.  How "paperless" are you?

My printer is broke. My laptop may be broke. My phone can’t print. I guess the answer is: mostly [?]

:unsure::huh::ph34r:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 12:

As society becomes more electronically motivated, the demand for the printed word is decreasing.  How "paperless" are you?

At work, more so all the time.  I print things out for editing because it's easier for me to focus and think with a pen or pencil, but the edits get put back in electronically, and the record copies are the electronic ones.

At home, about 50/50 these days.  Game books and notes are on paper; I don't think I could run a game from the iPad very easily.  Pleasure reading is usually Kindle format (3/4 of it, at least), but many of my reference books for historical gaming aren't available other than in paper.

• Like 5

February 13:

What is your most wonderful, best failure to date?  (i.e., a failure that made you learn and grow more than success would ever have done)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 13:

What is your most wonderful, best failure to date?  (i.e., a failure that made you learn and grow more than success would ever have done)

Hobbywise or Life lesson?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 13:

Theatre: The moment I walked on stage in The Foreigner and blanked.  I looked for help to the person I was supposed to be interacting with... our most seasoned actor on the stage at the time... and he gave me this wide blank eyed look.  We both tried to think of something to say for what seemed like an eternity.  I finally remembered one of my later lines and we went on from there.  To the audience it probably wasn't even five seconds... but, that was an eternity on stage.  I won't say that I haven't had moments where I couldn't remember a line since then, but having been baptised in fire I have learned how to adapt and how to at least say something until we can get back on track.  It has also helped me study my lines in a way so that not only can I ground myself in where I am supposed to be but also be aware of things I can say that could help other people.

Work: Sadly, I haven't committed work-sepuku in a way that really had me learn in an exceptional way.  Perhaps I work too safely and need to push the boundaries more... and that probably applies to a lot of my life.  I don't live on the edge of failure often enough.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 13:

Singling out one failure among the myriad of mistakes made in my life...such as it is...would be like picking a favorite grain of sand from the Sahara Desert.

I may not have made spectacular failures, but I certainly was prolific in my erring. One thing I have learned is that it isn't the things you have said or done that

you rue in later life. It's the things that you have left unsaid or undone.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 13:

Uh... the end of my last relationship. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

Malefactus pretty much summed it up for me, and better than I could have. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 13:

Pretty much every mini I apply paint to. ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 13:

Failure to communicate properly (and some broccoli faced professors who deserve rabid weasels in their labs) are the reason I met Sir Cyr. I went into the lab on the weekend to do my projects without the professors around. He was sleeping in the lab on the weekend. So.... thanks broccoli face professors for making me find this person!

I spectacularly failed linear algebra. Twice. I failed that after acing calculus, and beat myself up over it. I still finished my physics degree despite issues with linear algebra. I learned that failing isn't the end. It isn't a reason to stop. I also learned that math tutors can be sufficient replacements for therapy (or at least it helped me). Seeing matrices made me have flashbacks to crying over cups of soup - I actually knew the math, except I couldn't *do* the math. So my math tutor got to watch me do math and chat with me to distract me from impending sadness. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 13:

I suppose social studies, or better yet English in high school would count.  I only failed English 30 three times before going into 33,getting an awesome teacher, aaaaaaand now everything I write is in essay format, even forum posts - at least once I get going with a topic anyways. 

Funny how it just took two things for me to succeed... A teacher realizing nobody wanted to write the two boring topics that usually were given to people, so they said write about something you're passionate about, and... I forgot the second one, got distracted by Quiznos. 

• Like 7

On 2/12/2018 at 10:33 AM, redambrosia said:

Shhh. We don't say the H word here. It's "figmentia", or, in this case, "bibliomentia".

There, I made up a new word to describe some of us ^_^ 

It's only "hoarding" if it's a problem.  Having many miniatures is not a problem, it is a guarantee of immortality!

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 13:

Oh, so many elf-ups to consider here...and the answer is still an open wound.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 13:

Best "failure?"  Several are similar in scale, but I'll go with the series of failures that cost me my job in November.  I learned more about myself and my mind in that series of failures than succeeding would have ever taught me.

• Like 5

I feel obligated to add my mother's best failure, because it benefited the whole family. 

She was baking cookies. She opened the cookbook to Snickerdoodles. She began to measure stuff out and dump it together in the mixing bowl. Then she realized she'd been reading from the wrong page, when she got to "add oatmeal". She'd been reading proportions from the wrong page, and was on the Oatmeal Cookie page. Not to be deterred, she just switched reading to the correct page and continued with the otherwise wrong proportions, now adding stuff as if it were Snickerdoodles. 

The result was the best darned cookie ever: The Mistakerdoodle. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10