TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2018

7 hours ago, Loim said:

Malefactus pretty much summed it up for me, and better than I could have. 

I agree.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 13:

What is your most wonderful, best failure to date?  (i.e., a failure that made you learn and grow more than success would ever have done)

I went to a friend's family farm for thanksgiving in college.  I assumed he would drop me back at my University, on his way back to his college.  He assumed I had a basic grasp of geography. 

We compromised with him taking me to our home town.  Since my parents were unaccountably not interested in driving me 6 hours and then back again, I called around and found an acquaintance that went to the same school to catch a ride with.  Leaving at 6 am the next morning. 

A third friend found out we were in town and invited us out to a "Party" which turned out to be the three of us and three girls. I decided to focus all my attention on the least annoying of the three girls. We ended up at Denny's until the wee hours of the morning. 

We are still together 25 years later, she is still less annoying than most. 

• Like 12

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 13:

What is your most wonderful, best failure to date?  (i.e., a failure that made you learn and grow more than success would ever have done)

The way I had to meet Husband and that's about as much detail as I want to go into. Still not over it after ~9 years.

• Like 6

In 1999, I was fired from my job.

As a young professional, this was a huge blow.  I wasn't fired from a fast food place, or a part-time gig at a retail store.  This was my profession, and I was let go for "gross incompetence."  It sent me into months of depression, questioning what I did wrong, not knowing if my future as a chemist was at an end, not fully understanding what happened.

For five months, I searched for a replacement position, but I only half-heartedly searched.  I never called a temp agency, because, heck, I was a professional, and I needed a real job, not some temporary gig where I'd get treated like a new graduate with no experience.

After five months, I recognized I could not continue the path I was on.  I was borrowing money to live, and forcing myself to get out of bed in the morning.  So I went to the temp agency.

The first job interview I had through that place was tough, although not as tough as when I was sitting in front of five interviewers and asked "So, why did you leave your job at Rocky Mountain Pharma?  We do a lot of contract work with them . . . ." 

The story is much longer than what I've shared, but through that hurricane, I came through pretty darned good.

I learned that my work was appreciated by my current employers (my boss at the time admitted he had called my previous boss, and told me "She sounds like quite a [insert vulgar term for Drow matron]).

I learned that I should listen to that little voice inside me that says "something's wrong," because I had seen my job posted in the paper the week before I was fired.

I learned that I should never lay down when I get blindsided, because depression is not a good place to be.

Fast forward to a couple years later, and I was laid off.  The hour after I learned, I was on the phone looking for another job.  I was the first person in the group of us who found one, and it was the best of the available options.  I ended up getting a month's pay to go take a job that paid more money. 

I ended up learning that the firing was partly my fault.  But now, about 20 years later, I'm in a great job, and it's likely that I wouldn't be here if not for that firing.  I had reconnected with a friend from a previous job while asking for advice, and years later she was instrumental in getting my hired at the company that currently employs me. 

As far as failures go, it's a pretty good one, but I've learned so much that I can't help but tell my former employer "thank you."

• Like 11

On 2/7/2018 at 9:10 AM, TaleSpinner said:

February 7:

What are your thoughts on modern smart phones and how much do you rely on one?

When cell phones first came out, I decided against getting one unless it was small enough to fit in an earring or powerful enough to serve as a PDA. I got my first smartphone in 2002. I just switched to the Google Pixel 2 (Smartphone #5 1/2) on Boxing Day, and other than the fact that Google discombobulated all my contacts, I love it.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2018 at 8:57 AM, TaleSpinner said:

February 8:

Do you carry cash for small purchases or rely on other means?

(This questions stems from an encounter a the CS this morning where the guy in front of me used a credit card to buy a $1 cup of coffee and it got me wondering.)

Yes.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 13:

Had to think of this one a bit. When I lost my job before this one, it took me nine months to get a new one. The job I've had for the last nine years. The job where I met my husband. 

So, yeah, if I hadn't elfed up that job and gotten fired, I probably wouldn't have met him. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 14:

Love it, hate it, or indifferent; how do you feel about Valentine's Day?

Indifferent. Even when I was single I didn't give a fox. 

The best thing about it is all the cheap chocolate the day after.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 14:

Love it~ But I like to get into all of the holidays. Mr. Mouse is treating me to 3 meals at restaurants (including the breakfast we already ate) and a movie.

I've always liked it, at least a bit. When I was growing up, it was one of the few days of the year I was guaranteed not to be bullied. Plus, free candy. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 14:

I don't really care for hallmark holidays, but like redambrosia mentioned, I love how a lot of chocolate is half price the next day. 

I prefer spontaneous gifting, versus supposed mandatory (if marketing teams are to be believed) gifting.  ^_^

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 14:

I don’t mind the holiday itself, what I dislike are the (false; elf off advertisers!) assumptions/assertions that if I really loved my wife , I’d go blow a few thousand dollars on jewelry for her.:grr:

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 14:

It's okay. As a single person, the commercial aspect of Valentine's Day doesn't mean much to me. And, as a non-Catholic, I'm pretty much indifferent to the Patron Saint of beekeepers and plague, for whom the holiday is named.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I don't really care for hallmark holidays, but like redambrosia mentioned, I love how a lot of chocolate is half price the next day. 

I prefer spontaneous gifting, versus supposed mandatory (if marketing teams are to be believed) gifting.  ^_^

This.  It has become too commercial.

I am far more concerned with it being Ash Wednesday today.

• Like 7