TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2018

54 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 14:

Love it, hate it, or indifferent; how do you feel about Valentine's Day?

It is one of those holidays which for the most part I have not been involved. As a hopeless romantic, I do love it, however.

AND I DO LOVE chocolate.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 14:

I'm indifferent to it.  I don't really need a special day to remind my wife how very much I love her and I don't like how the greeting card companies lurk over my shoulder and suggest I would be an awful person if I didn't get her a card.

We do make a point to have a nice dinner in the days before Valentine's Day, usually sushi.

On the other hand, there is half-off Valentine's Day candy tomorrow.  I don't think I'm allowed to buy more though.

• Like 6

I'm indifferent.  The wife and I had lunch yesterday when she was on the base for an appointment.  We swung by the card rack at the Exchange and gave each other our cards.  Then we put them back on the rack and went on our merry way.

I'll probably go back today get her that water battle she liked.  We are into practical gifts.  While she likes flowers, she is too frugal to want things that go into the trash a few days later.  I tend to get her living plants (in one case a cherry tree) that go into the ground when the weather warms up.

I'm thinking about taking her to the Book Barn (used book store(s); 4 separate locations within 5 minutes of each other) and dinner tonight.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

February 14:

I've never really liked it.  I tolerated it and participated for the sake of my wife.  This year it's just another day as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I don't really care for hallmark holidays, but like redambrosia mentioned, I love how a lot of chocolate is half price the next day. 

I prefer spontaneous gifting, versus supposed mandatory (if marketing teams are to be believed) gifting.  ^_^

The other day we got a package from china. I had forgotten what I ordered (eBay, ya know), so I opened it up to reveal the masterpiece Hot Rod made by Takara Tomi. Hubby was like, "what did I do to deserve this", to which my response is "everything".

Spontaneous (and forgotten) gifts are the best.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

February 14:

These days I'm indifferent leaning towards not liking.

My late wife & I used to get each other little surprise gifts, like teddy bears, flowers, balloons delivered to each other at work. We didn't limit it to just Valentine's Day though.

Now that I'm single, I get a bit bummed because I miss being able to do it. ::(:

• Sad 7

February 14:

I hate Valentine's day with the fury of a thousand supernovas.  Unless we're talking about massacres, then I find the historical mafia significance interesting.

• Like 5

February 14:

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Indifferent. Even when I was single I didn't give a fox. 

The best thing about it is all the cheap chocolate the day after.

This is truth!

29 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'm indifferent.  The wife and I had lunch yesterday when she was on the base for an appointment.  We swung by the card rack at the Exchange and gave each other our cards.  Then we put them back on the rack and went on our merry way.

I'll probably go back today get her that water battle she liked.  We are into practical gifts.  While she likes flowers, she is too frugal to want things that go into the trash a few days later.  I tend to get her living plants (in one case a cherry tree) that go into the ground when the weather warms up.

I'm thinking about taking her to the Book Barn (used book store(s); 4 separate locations within 5 minutes of each other) and dinner tonight.

Ideal date right there...

I'm ambivalent about it. On one hand, taking a day to mark the love you share with another person, to share that day with everyone else is kinda nice. On the other hand, the commercial pressure to make the day extravagant and expensive is absolutely the worst. I'll buy chocolates tomorrow, and flowers and strawberries next week. 

• Like 6

February 14:

I like the excuse to have chocolate and do fun things. I want to celebrate a bit, but the holiday is too one sided traditionally, I think. If my fellow does nice things for me, I must do so for him too. 

One year I made him a flower out of beef jerky and a pretzel stick - he didn't want flowers like me, but he loves meat! 

Last year was mostly sad but kinda mixed. We went to a concert, but it was also the day his grandfather passed away (and very suddenly). 

This year he's sick and I'm prepping for a presentation. Not much fun to be had.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I ignore it like all holidays.

Although if I could find a woman offering to take me to the Book Barn and then get grinders from the Italian take-out place down the street, I might be more inclined to think of the day a bit more charitably, lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

February 14:

I like it.  

Celebrated is yesterday by giving flowers, chocolate, and ice frozen in the shape of a heart.  

the ice totally failed to work as an icepack but the rest of it was appreciated.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 14:

As a single man, indifferent. I haven't gone out much in the past week so I missed most of the current hype.

Were I in a relationship, it would be a nice excuse to go out.

P.S. Today is also Ash Wednesday, and already at breakfast I ruined the "forty day fast" with a leftover Italian sausage.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

I'm indifferent to it.  I don't really need a special day to remind my wife how very much I love her and I don't like how the greeting card companies lurk over my shoulder and suggest I would be an awful person if I didn't get her a card.

We do make a point to have a nice dinner in the days before Valentine's Day, usually sushi.

On the other hand, there is half-off Valentine's Day candy tomorrow.  I don't think I'm allowed to buy more though.

What he said.  Our relationship is not limited to one day of romance and gift giving and I dislike how commercial holidays are in general. 

I will hit up the drugstore tomorrow and see if they have a couple bags of the snack/bite sized candy bars, as they are good for packing in lunches. 

24 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Although if I could find a woman offering to take me to the Book Barn and then get grinders from the Italian take-out place down the street, I might be more inclined to think of the day a bit more charitably, lol.

Sounds like the perfect date.  I may suggest that to DH.  :) 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Sounds like the perfect date.  I may suggest that to DH.  :)

Lol - I think the Book Barn might be a bit far to travel for a date... It's in CT.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Lol - I think the Book Barn might be a bit far to travel for a date... It's in CT.

TOTALLY WORTH THE TRIP!!!

• Like 6