TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2018

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 22:

On what topic (miniatures and gaming do not count), are you an expert? More points for esoteric or weird topics.  Feel free to post multiple topics.

Well, I have been working on the same car wash control systems for nearly 16 years now.  I guess that I would be considered an expert on those. 

Other than that, I would have to say that I'm like many others here - a Jack of all Trades and master of none.  Compared to a lot of people I know, yeah, I am more more likely to have read about a wider variety of subjects, but it's pretty easy for most people I know to find at least one thing (usually many things) they know better than I do. 

As an aside, I think that's true for a lot of gamers. Our hobby tends to lead most of us to learn about so many things. I also feel that the more intelligent someone is, the more they realize how much they don't know, and our hobby probably has a higher ratio of smart people than most hobbies do. 

• Like 9

February 22:

On what topic (miniatures and gaming do not count), are you an expert? More points for esoteric or weird topics.  Feel free to post multiple topics.

- with the disclaimer that I know less in most of these fields than someone with a long career in the field, but would feel comfortable writing a college level paper in any of the following.  I would rate my proficiency as expert, but not master. 

Affordable Housing 

Transit  Orientated Development 

Residential wood frame construction.   

Orienteering

Redistricting  

Dinosaur classification. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 9

February 22:

I'm a talentless hack. Nothing special to see here. Move along.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2018 at 6:58 AM, TaleSpinner said:

February 21:

What country/culture, other than your own, most intrigues/attracts you and why?

I don't know if it qualifies as a culture, but I'd love to be part of the Eugene OR culture. (ie move over to that city). Western OR & Eastern OR are 2 totally different entities. Pretty much, the red part of the state is here. That's all you need to know. As far as an actual culture I was big into Ancient Egyptian & I'd like to re-discover that someday.

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 22:

Well I don't know about expert but I am a pretty damn good scale model builder. I know building & painting techniques that always pop up as questions on forums & such. Also I guess you could say I'm into the sports that I follow.

• Like 7

February 22:

labor unionism in new jersey

Something that I did for a job, but would likely be against board rules to explain (not illegal)

cabling for video over IP

toy robots of the 80s - now

• Like 6

On 2/21/2018 at 8:58 AM, TaleSpinner said:

February 21:

Russia. I'm amazed how it always manages to devolve into a kleptocratic elfhole.

February 22:

I'm a trivia sponge.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 22:

Star Wars lore is a big one for me, I can talk about it for hours. Professionally, customer service is something I have a mastery in, I know how to balance business needs and customer wants.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 22:

Expert is a big word..

But I do know more than average about

• Military History
  • Mammals, Reptiles and Sealife.
  • Metal and Rock Trivia
  • Ways to use ordinary objects as weapons.
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 22:

Manually operated horizontal bandsaw operations.
Triangular Machinist's Deburring Scraper usage.
Constructing Predictive Analytical Statistical Derivations via quasi-random tangential event observance.
Procrastination.

• Like 7

Things I know too much about?

Videogames. I know far too much about the SNES / N64 Era.

Things that will kill a person near Antarctica (Hint, basically everything underwater)

Cooking

Home Rennovations

Conspiracy lore

Home Poisoning

Handwriting

Passports

You know, I am going to stop this list or I am going to be watched.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 21/02/2018 at 1:58 PM, TaleSpinner said:

February 21:

Mars. Got to go and meet John Carter and Dejah Thoris one of these days.

18 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 22:

British Military/Political history from 1700 to about 1982.

• Like 6

On 2/22/2018 at 7:41 AM, TaleSpinner said:

February 22:

I'm another one for the jack-of-all-trades group.  What I used to be an expert at is constantly evolving and I've been out of that game for a couple years.  About the only things that would come close right now would be obsessing about my personal finances and binge watching stuff online.

• Like 6

On 2/22/2018 at 8:41 AM, TaleSpinner said:

February 22:

I won't earn many points.  I am knowledgeable about a lot of things, but it's more breadth than depth.  I'm also aware that I don't know nearly as much as I think I do.

So I believe I am only an expert with my longest hobbies and what I get paid doing, system administration and programming.  Programming was a hobby before I went to college, system administration was a hobby while I was at college, and now system administration is what I do as my day job.

• Like 6

*Puts on Quisitor Robes*

February 23rd:

What topic do you wish you were an expert in? What topic are you working on becoming an expert in? 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Crowley said:

*Puts on Quisitor Robes*

February 23rd:

What topic do you wish you were an expert in? What topic are you working on becoming an expert in? 

I wish I was an expert woodworker.  I suppose I am technically working on that every time I build something, watch a video, or read a plan or article.

• Like 6