TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2018

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 27:

What is the most extreme weather/natural-disaster event you have personally lived through?

I was there for the blizzard of 78 and the hurricanes in following years. I've been pretty close to several tornadoes, one in Dallas destroyed a friend's home and neighborhood and I remember the total devastation when we were cleaning up after.  Ice storm of 2002 left us with about 3" of ice on everything, so many trees and power lines down we  couldn't even move for 2 days, and power was out in parts for 2 weeks. Since then the tail end of a few hurricanes have passed over, but nothing too serious. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 27:

What is the most extreme weather/natural-disaster event you have personally lived through?

Hurricanes Elena, Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Irma. 

• Like 5

Blizzard of '78...

("Snowpocalypse", my arf - the Blizzard of '78 shut down the entire Northeast dead for three whole days before the snow stopped falling, and after the snow stopped New England was still just barely starting to dig itself out two whole days later. It took nearly a month before everything was finally back to normal.)

Plus, the couple of hurricanes that have passed through CT since then, although none of them were anywhere near as bad.

• Like 6

Two Cyclones in Australia that prompted a shut down of the base (several others passed close by, but brought no more than rain), multiple blizzards in CO, and the Loma-Prieta Quake in CA in 1989. 

We just missed the hailstorm last year that shut down the Colorado Mills mall in the west Denver area. The house we sold not a month earlier was apparently severely damaged. Although it didn't affect me personally, it could have, and I do feel bad for the new owner (while at the same time being relieved). 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 27:

Dusseldorf Apr 2006.  Held onto a street sign pole as an F0 tornado smashed through.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 27:

June 29, 2002. I was working in Moose Jaw at a greenhouse that was right beside Zellers. There had been a heavy rain shower in the early afternoon, so the air was still heavy and muggy.  Throughout the day I kept looking toward to the horizon to see if any more showers were going to happen. I had just finished with a customer around 5 p.m. when I looked up and BOOM! -a black cloud had come up out of nowhere. The wind suddenly came up and blew a lot of plants off the tables. That's when I figured I should cash out, but as I turned around toward the cash register, WHAM! -the bar holding the hanging baskets went right by my head. "Whoop, time to go!" I ran around the table and out of the greenhouse, turned right and ran right into the Zellers building. When I turned around, the greenhouse was gone. Some Zellers workers watched the storm with me, and we spotted at least half a dozen funnel clouds. In the end, the majority of the greenhouse was in a giant pile at the end of the parking lot while lighter bits were at least a quarter mile away. The stupid thing is that despite the giant mess that happened, our light plastic step stool was still in the exact place I had left it.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 27:

Several blizzards vie for top place. We don't get the really nasty natural disasters here. Small tornadoes, nasty thunderstorms and other "minor" things. But blizzards where you can't see more than a few feet aren't uncommon. The bad ones can last for days. 

2 hours ago, haldir said:

It was a long winter & I was so glad to see spring last year. One reason why I'm glad this winter has been light. 

We had several winters of record snow not long ago and I'm very glad the last 2 have been nice. March is still coming though and it's often the worst month for snow and storms. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 27:

The same earthquake that @redambrosia was talking about. Did some damage but nothing too bad where we were.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 27:

Flooding in St. Louis in 1998 - there were worse Missouri floods in 1993, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2017

but this is the one I was living on a floodplain, on the first floor of an apartment building, one step away from the parking lot.   

the water came up 3 ft on the outside walls just under the windows, I barricaded the front door with towels and scrap wood.  It held. 

A full sized dumpster went floating past outside the window and the flood destroyed the inside of our car.  It wasn't the river directly that flooded us, just he sewer and runoff canals. 

February 26:Girl Scout Cookies

this year it is Tagalogs.  Last year it was S'mores (new flavor) 

before that it was Samoas, which replaced Thin Mints. 

its possible I have a problem.  We have only 30 boxes left in the basement... hopefully Elderspawn will flog them successfully and I won't have to eat them.  

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 3

February 27:

Sailed behind hurricane Katrina, trying to get to LOOP (Louisiana Offshore Oil Platform.) Three days in a 300,00 ton supertanker going absolutely nowhere and hoping not take any serious damage. 

• Like 6

February 27:

Would a blizzard in the UP count?

I was actually up in Houghton when Michigan Tech was forced to close on 3 different occasion due to winter weather. At one point, the snow storm actually picked me up off the ground and flew me uphill about 10 feet before my friend could catch me (I still had to do my radio show at the time). At another point, the temperatures reached -60; Houghton infrastructure might be built for the cold, but not THAT cold. 

I've personally driven through white-out blizzard conditions (my dad is...weird about what he thinks is appropriate for a student driver), walked through winds where my classmates and friends had to hold me down to the ground, etc...

So...blizzards. There is usually one on or around my birthday every year.

• Like 5

February 27:

Blizzards, heatwaves, derechos, clipped by some hurricanes. Nothing superbad. 

• Like 5

Personally it was a blizzard in February from about 9  or ten year ago. They had to shut down the interstate and send out the national guard to get people off of it. Most of the businesses in my area closed, but not mine. However I called work and told them I couldn't find my car or the red truck parked next to it so I wasn't coming in, they tried to guilt me by saying that they could really use me, but  I really had no way of going and it was stupidly unsafe to be out there that night (despite what our idiot center manager thought) Also the interstate was the route I used to work so it just wasn't in the cards. Several friends ended up crashing at our apartment that night since we were closer than home for many of them. We ended up having a Warcraft and other video games party, Sadly my future wife was stuck 45 minutes away in Whitewater with an internet connection that went down if you looked at it sternly.

It took me 3 hours to dig my car free the next morning.

Maybe 5 years later We had a another blizzard that I did make it to work for but then had to drive home in white out conditions. They eventually shut down the interstate then too but for a while it was the safest route since I had tried the back roads only to realize that I could tell were the road ended on my side and the only reason I knew where it ended on the other side was because of the car stuck there. So I ended up slowly driving the right lane of the bypass towards the interstate, because everyone in the left lane is stuck and going nowhere. Suddenly the car behind me starts blaring his horn at me as if he wants me to hurry up. I'm only barely riding the line between getting stuck myself and sliding into the row of parked cars that is the left lane so I ignore him. I get to the on ramp and the idiot tears off around me  on the ramp (which was not to lane and I was in the center of, God only knows how lucky he was to not plummet over the invisible edge right there) and speeds off into the distance. I can only assume he was one of the many cars I saw in the ditch on the way after that point. The road was relatively clear, but visibility was virtually nil and icy spots were everywhere. I made it home with out much further incident though. Just took about twice as long.

They wisely shut work down for the next day, not so much for driver and other employee safety but because Chicago got buried so nothing new was going to come in until it got dug out.

Edited by EvilJames
  • Like 6

I used to live in a river town subject to flooding, particularly after hurricanes. Being river flooding, this would happen a few days after rain fell upriver, so I got tired of people asking after each heavy local rain and my explaining about drainage basins. ::P:  Apart from needing to evacuate a few times, I’ve been pretty lucky. 

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 27:

Back in the late '90's, I was indirectly arced by a lightning strike while smoking a cigarette in my garage.  The bolt hit a pine tree that was about 20 feet away from where I was sitting, traveled through it's root system into the concrete slab's rebar.  Traveled  through the oil fired hot water heater that I was sitting beside, branched into a 220v power cord that was running along the top of the entry door's threshold steps.  The arc knocked the pilot light out with enough force to slam the hinged cover so that I remember the sound it made irrespective of the shotgun blast the thunder made a split second before. Then the arc traveled through my lower calf and up my spine and the flash was so bright, it felt as if the arc exited my eyes.  After the strike, I have no idea how much time transpired, similar to how one can wake up disoriented from a lengthy nap.   I'm just glad I didn't get hit directly and you know, that's the last time I purposefully see just how it feels to be struck by lightning. whew!

• Like 6