Sirithiliel

Siri Sculpts an Orca

I love Orca. And i wanted to sculpt. So i'm going to Sculpt an Orca, and size it correctly for use with a game in case we ever need one.

Now Orca are pretty big,  looks like average size is 20-26 feet. The dorsal fin of a male will reach 6 feet on its own, the size of a mini all on its own

fig.gif

since i dont' plan to cast this, i'll do a wire armature and then do a foil bulk, then do sculpey over that. Bake it, and do final details in green stuff. That's the plan, anyways...

• Like 19

Cool project.  Have you worked with thick Sculpey before?  I know it'll take longer to bake thick pieces, but not sure if it could crack?  I don't think I've baked anything thicker than a half inch or so, which was fine using Super Sculpey Firm.

• Like 2

i haven't used sculpey in years. I baked it a little bit ago actually and it seems okay. Wasn't sure if i needed to adjust tmperature and baking time due to my high elevation but it turned out okay

started greenstuff skin layer over his head

orca1.jpg

rca.jpg

• Like 16

having a troubled night, so spending a lot of time on it. Finished adding a skin of greenstuff, will begin coral once it's dry. He'll be swimming over a simple coral reef

^1319F1FFCBEF17743C4A1DBAE4AAAB06F3BD2011A06C378B51^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 18

okay green stuff 'skin' done i think, as smooth as i can get it. the different hues will not be as obvious once it's painted. Started doing minor coral around his base

orca1.jpg

ORca2.jpg

Orca3.jpg

• Like 16

I like this project!

How do you get the Green stuff smooth?

I could use a Kronosaurus...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I like this project!

How do you get the Green stuff smooth?

I could use a Kronosaurus...

primitively, using my fingers to try and blend the seams together. The sculpey underneath was bumpier than I had expected, leaving me with some lumps that i tried to use extra greenstuff around to smooth out, but i think once it's painted it won't be noticeable. It's only really noticeable right now due to the green stuff's shine

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1