WhiteWulfe

77068: Anirion, Wood Elf Wizard

40 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Good layering.

I'm extremely happy to hear this as it was my first time doing such a technique! ^_^;;;  Lining is something I'm definitely going to need more work on - I suspect doing some of the lining shortly before bed backfired, as can be seen by some of the stray brush strokes for such - I've done things a lot tidier on Ingrid, whom I just finished the base layers on (and will probably use to start a WIP thread as I'm starting to take more pictures of the in between stuff ^_^).  One of the difficult things I've noticed is keeping a steady hand!

While I could have looked such up online, I'm extremely glad for having picked up the LTPK's because of just how well written things are, not to mention the paints that work together.  Besides, it let me try out a few other things (dropper bottles, and paint from Reaper, both of which I really, REALLY like), and it was pretty much a case of pay for the paint, and get some free brushes and miniatures.  Did I mention I really REALLY like just how well written the info is?  Gives a really good grasp of the basics with many tips on how to look at things, and take it from an ugly base coat to something totally different and lovely.

While a small part of me prefers the quicker methods simply due to the speed (and I suspect I'll lean more towards the use of those with larger horde armies), by the third layer I was already preferring the use of layering...  By a rather massive margin - so much so I suspect it's what will be used as a "main" technique when painting by me, as I really REALLY like how they come out.  I haven't felt this proud since the very first conversion I did and painted, even if the paintjob back then was, uhm...  Let's just say back then I tried to go from Chaos Black to the whitest of whites that Citadel had on the shoulder pads, and it didn't go over too well :P

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nice!

Many thanks!

• Like 8

Pls give yourself time to experiment, and to try things.

This is a HOBBY, it's meant to be FUN.  You are learning, and believe me you will learn until

you put your last brush full of paint on a miniature.  Wait till the day when you do something to

the best of your ability, and even you are shocked !  They do happen, and the amazement, and happiness

you feel inside,  just makes it all worthwhile.  You are surrounded by painter's like that. 

Learn, enjoy, be amazed, then start doing it yourself.  Don't rush. 

Good luck, and may the journey be an eyeopener !

Jay

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Reds are notoriously difficult to layer and you have pulled it off rather well.. Very well done.. Keep at it!

• Like 2

On 04/02/2018 at 6:31 PM, Jasonator said:

Pls give yourself time to experiment, and to try things.

This is a HOBBY, it's meant to be FUN.  You are learning, and believe me you will learn until

you put your last brush full of paint on a miniature.  Wait till the day when you do something to

the best of your ability, and even you are shocked !  They do happen, and the amazement, and happiness

you feel inside,  just makes it all worthwhile.  You are surrounded by painter's like that. 

Learn, enjoy, be amazed, then start doing it yourself.  Don't rush. 

Good luck, and may the journey be an eyeopener !

Jay

Oh, don't worry, despite my occasional haste at times I do take my time, and what I think is a short while... Well, let's just saying that saying "time flies when you're having fun" definitely applies to me, and I don't mind such at all.  I suspect I still spent 6-7 hours or so working on him, and I'm quite proud of the end result (I honestly have no idea how long I took, but it was two workday evenings, and a good portion  of a weekend's day)...  The haste, or desire for, probably stems from wanting to see concrete and obvious improvements, not just small minor wants I suspect ^_^

23 hours ago, VolksFest said:

Reds are notoriously difficult to layer and you have pulled it off rather well.. Very well done.. Keep at it!

Many thanks!  I didn't realize they could be so difficult, as it's what recommended in the instructions, but for a good hour I was fairly worried the back was going to have vertical stripes that were rather noticeable.  I'm rather glad for the nice selection of paints the LTPK's come with, to say the least, as they sure help one out when starting! 

• Like 3

On 07/02/2018 at 12:00 PM, NecroMancer said:

Looks great!

Many thanks! 

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Good work on him!

Many thanks oh chaotic wuff ^_^

You are doing a great job with him! And your pictures are pretty good for an ad hoc situation. 

Thank you so much for your kind words about the kit instructions. If you have any feedback, please feel welcome to let me know so I can keep it in mind when writing future kits. I'm so tickled that you've found the kit so helpful!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wren said:

You are doing a great job with him! And your pictures are pretty good for an ad hoc situation. 

Thank you so much for your kind words about the kit instructions. If you have any feedback, please feel welcome to let me know so I can keep it in mind when writing future kits. I'm so tickled that you've found the kit so helpful!

Lighting is definitely something I plan on working on in the near future, thankfully work should be handing out our T4's soon (probably in the next 10-11 days), and when we build the dedicated area to work with there's definitely going to be some sort of additional light to paint with, since a single bulb waaaay off on my off-hand side really doesn't cut it...  And I'm seriously contemplating a nice lil dedicated setup to take pictures at as well (I'd love a pair of Aputure LS-mini20D's for example, but they're $260 USD each, and kind of overkill for product photography...::P:)

As for the instructions, can't really think of much else to say other than I like them ^_^  If they were to increase the page count though, it would be nice to see a few more in-between pictures, so a novice doesn't suddenly go "AAAACK, I've totally botched it!!" when starting on the shadow layers and then half an hour of layering later it's all "oh, okay, it was supposed to do that".  A novice who's never done such can get a decent scare, especially if they wind up getting a decent amount of vertical stripes going - I had this happen with the second mini, Ingrid, and kept going, and it seems to have blended well (I haven't posted her in the show off threads yet)

• Like 1