In my mind, here are the essentials of a complete Solo movie:

• Han meets Chewie
  • Han meets Lando
  • Han wins Falcon off of Lando
  • Kessel Run

Jabba can be squeezed in at any moment.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 8

Just sad how our expectations have fallen. Being old enough to remember the huge buzz of the first and second ones, even if the new films were truly excellent they would still be lost among the tide of other offerings that appear every month. 

• Like 3

Many years ago some SW art trading cards came out (Visions perhaps??). Anyways, the artists, some known some not using their talent showcasing some of the SW Universe. There is one in the set of Han's hands & Chewie's chest in the background. It shows Han burning his Imperial ID. That picture has always stuck with me. Funny if I don't see it in this movie I'll think it was left out. :lol: 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, paintybeard said:

Just sad how our expectations have fallen. Being old enough to remember the huge buzz of the first and second ones, even if the new films were truly excellent they would still be lost among the tide of other offerings that appear every month. 

Hard to argue with that. I was only 4 years old when Star Wars came out so don't really remember the hype over it but was old enough to be into it by ROTJ. I honestly don't think we could repeat that feeling nowadays. I'll be content if this turns out as good as Rogue One.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As long as this movie isn't full of plot holes and poorly developed characters, i'll be happy

and it's sad when THAT is what makes me satisfied with a star wars movie now

3 hours ago, Zink said:

Hard to argue with that. I was only 4 years old when Star Wars came out so don't really remember the hype over it but was old enough to be into it by ROTJ. I honestly don't think we could repeat that feeling nowadays. I'll be content if this turns out as good as Rogue One.

Regarding Ep.IV New Hope, originally there wasn't much hype prior to its release outside of scifi circles. It opened on only a few dozen screens. Within weeks, it exploded into a sleeper blockbuster.

Movies of the era like Star Trek the Motion Picture and Superman would've had a lot more hype in comparison.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

As long as this movie isn't full of plot holes and poorly developed characters, i'll be happy

and it's sad when THAT is what makes me satisfied with a star wars movie now

Well you are asking an awful lot of Hollywood writers. ::D:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

As long as this movie isn't full of plot holes and poorly developed characters,

That pretty much defined Star Wars movies from the get go. 

SW:ANH isn't really any better than the others in terms of that.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

That pretty much defined Star Wars movies from the get go. 

SW:ANH isn't really any better than the others in terms of that.  

i at least could enjoy SW:ANH despite its flaws and at least Empire Strikes Back gave character development and interesting story mechanics. I cannot say the same for  Force Awakens or Last Jedi, which i consider terrible from start to finish, from story to characters *shrug

• Like 2

I would prefer that they weren’t making ‘prequel character movies’ but as they are I’m prepared to get behind it.

The main issue for me is that since I was a boy I’ve been conjuring Star Wars  history with my imagination. So I know what I think the Kessel Run was and how Han and Chewie met...and so on. I like that people were left to fill in the gaps for themselves.

When you understand how everything works then everything starts to lose its magic (see the Force and medicloriens -sp-)

Edited by Beagle
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Beagle said:

I would prefer that they weren’t making ‘prequel character movies’ but as they are I’m prepared to get behind it.

The main issue for me is that since I was a boy I’ve been conjuring Star Wars  history with my imagination. So I know what I think the Kessel Run was and how Han and Chewie met...and so on. I like that people were left to fill in the gaps for themselves.

When you understand how everything works then everything starts to lose its magic (see the Force and medicloriens -sp-)

I think Prequels wind up being attractive to writers (and in Hollywood, producers) because a lot of times it's easier to write "how we got to the start of the movie/book" than it is to write "where do we go from here, now that we have a happy ending?" 

• Like 2