One of the coolest parts of 3d printing and digital design is rapid prototyping.

I was staring at my design trying to figure out what the best diameters and thicknesses for wheels/tires would be, when it hit me that I could simply make some simple cylinders first. Not only for this project, but later ones as well.

3 hours later I had a selection of 24 different wheels in 4 diameters and 6 thicknesses.

IMG_20180217_162724.thumb.jpg.2cb0ff5cc4b2fb7d6b887e88578ff0a3.jpg

Test fitting them shows that 15mm dia by 6mm thick are the best "stock" option for the Cowboy UV:

IMG_20180217_163106.thumb.jpg.02f57e5bfd668ca6ddbe205be75a8552.jpg

The 18mm dia by 10mm thick wheels are too big for the rear wheel well, but don't look too out of place on the front:

IMG_20180217_163148.thumb.jpg.ff40b836ac03c54a30961a026251c885.jpg

One of the ideas on my models to make list for this was a "lift kit", which would be a couple of pieces that would glue onto the bottom and lower the axle, so eventually there will be large, thick wheels.

• Like 6

Had to take some time off from this because Fusion 360 was throwing errors at me that I couldn't figure out what they meant.  Looked at it with a fresh eye last night, finally figured out the vertices that were causing the issues, and figured out some workarounds. Anyway, I got the rear half details finished, and it's off to my printer for a final prototype (well, as soon as my current print job is done in an hour or so.
image.png.8c5e9b05e412c23f19702bcf692c3d84.png

Still have to finish up the detailing on the front, and then it's on to designing the wheels. 

• Like 3

Details add a lot:

IMG_20180223_161515.thumb.jpg.caa36624cde0d7be24c2408779adf767.jpg

Rear end for the 4 door version is finished. Need to finish the details on the front end, then design some wheels.  I expect the wheel designs will go rather quickly.

Then on to the front bumper - again, I expect I'll be able to get a couple simple designs done quickly.

After that, I'll be creating a rear end for a 2 door version.

After that will come the really fun part - designing variants of all the other pieces.

• Like 3

3 wheel variants done - but only one variant printed. 

IMG_2343.thumb.JPG.ca41212ebbef385166db9f5de1220e6e.JPG

Just realized I never did the gas tank hatch I planned on.  Oh well, I guess that means it's electric and charges wirelessly. ::D:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Neat!  I'm curious -- is it possible to sand down surfaces of 3D prints like this, to try to minimize the "scan line" effect?

5 hours ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Neat!  I'm curious -- is it possible to sand down surfaces of 3D prints like this, to try to minimize the "scan line" effect?

It is, as well using various methods of "filling" them in. There are also different methods available for different types of filament - for example, with ABS filament, you can use something called acetone smoothing to smooth out the surfaces.

It can be a tedious effort though, especially on something with lots of small details.   So how much effort I will put into it really depends on what my intended purpose for the print is. Things like my tanks, which will tend to be centerpieces of a tabletop force for a game, I will spend a lot more effort filling and sanding than I will on things that are basically scenery or test prints for various ideas, such as these cars are.  

It is my intention to do up at least one of these Cowboy Utility Vehicles as a centerpiece for a diorama - on that particular print, I will very likely print multiple copies with different filaments and settings, then take the best one of those prints and spend a lot of time prepping it for the best finish possible. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lord of the Dish Pit
      These began life as cheap dollar store children's toys but then fell prey to my love of post apocolyptic things.

A 1934 Ford Hot Rod and a 1957 Corvette. Taking these apart was a much greater pain than I had anticipated, 

I started with the Corvette, switching the rear tires from the Ford With it's front tires as they were a bit smaller and helps give both a cobbled together look.
      The patina was a base of Ebony Skin with Black, Oiled Leather, Highlight Orange, Stormy Grey all dabbed on with a piece of sponge. Final dirt is Steel Legion Drab applied the same way. It works, gives the impression of having been a black paintjob originally, which is helped by the light dabbing of Linen White on the sides. The screen inside was a pain in the elf to get glued in.I also drilled holes to show battle damage.

A light touch of Honed Steel was used to pick out remaining chrome bits.

I used the same colors on the Ford, except adding Linen White to the edges of the patina. This gave a much better effect. The wheels from the Chevy look much more convincing than the original on the back. More Linen White was added to the wheels for the whitewalls.

During disassembly the back bottom broke off, so I added a bit of chain to cover the gap. The back window had small bits of a chopped up gift card glued inside as makeshift armor.

Spots of the original orange are visible adding to the rust effect.

The touch of white difference . Eventually I'm mount weapons on these, but as an experiment in realistic weathering they came out well. In the future though I'll not be taking apart the Maistos. 
    • By MojoBob
      I made these primitive runestones in Blender and printed them on my little 3d printer. I thought the first one was a bit boring, so I added a bunch of skulls around the base of the second for that cannibal-headhunter vibe.

They're on Thingiverse at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3010064

The miniature is from Reaper, the figure I use to represent my oldest (surviving) D&D character from back in 1981, Smirnoff the Huge and Ugly. There was one earlier character from my very first roleplaying session, but I don't even remember his name — he was blown to smithereens in that same session by being too close to an overly-curious halfling thief.
    • By 2nd Dynasty
      We currently have a second Kickstarter live at the moment, entitled Starship II - 3D printable OpenLOCK-compatible Deck Plans. The campaign is already over 1300% financed, and we are working on the 8th Stretch Goal.
      If you have a 3D printer, these tiles can really bring your tabletop experience to life, with a strong influences from the designs of Rob Cobb and Kazutaka Miyatake.
      Unpainted PLA at 150 microns  
      Printed on a Flashforge Finder/Creator Pro  
      Unpainted PLA at 150 microns The Sets
      This campaign's featured sets are shown below (these are renderss).
      Stretch Goals Unlocked So Far
      We are now working towards these bonus floor tile types, a grate and plate style in I, S and E tiles  
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/printablescenery/time-warp-rampage-castle-europe-and-the-americas?ref=category_newest

TIME WARP featuring Rampage Castle and detailed game-ready buildings from Europe and the Americas designed for your home 3D Printer
    • By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      got a 3D printer, or access to a friends, or one at a library or university this might be for you

About

With this project I will be bring you a collection of Sci-Fi Vehicles and Artillery to be used in whatever tabletop game you choose. With more vehicles being added as stretch goals are hit. All sculpts will be supplied as 3d printable STL files.

Why am I doing this project?

My passions are sculpting, 3d printing and wargames. I wanted to be able to field the sort of armys I wanted without breaking the bank. So I started sculpting the sort of models I needed. After sculpting quite a range I decided to bring it to Kickstarter to enable me to further expand the range.

I have a Patreon page were I produce sculpts for my backers each month as well as a website where you can see some of my past work. So you can be sure I have the knowledge required to deliver printable files, and can be trusted to deliver them in a time frame.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/Duncan_shadow

Scale: The default scale of my files is 32mm / 28mm Heroic, but Being 3D Files they can be scaled up or down.

What do I get?

As soon as the kickstarter has ended and funds cleared you will receive 3d Printable files in a stl format. You can print as many of the figures on your home printer as you want, or send the files to a external printer to do the printing for you.

The kickstarter includes 7 vehicles 1 walker and 2 artillery pieces, with extra weapon options, (see below) to start with, more sculpts being unlocked in the near future.

Main battle tank comes with multiple turret, hull and sponson guns.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS. When you contribute to This campaign, you will receive STL files for the models as per your selected pledge. The pledge files will be delivered May 2018, with successful stretch goals arriving later. You can print these files for your personal use, but you may not sell the printed items for profit or distribute the digital 3D models/files to other parties.
  • Who's Online   32 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)