kristof65

Rottweiler Grav Tank by Kristof65

Continuing on from my sculpting thread here, I've begun assembly and painting of my Rottweiler tank. 

IMG_2320.thumb.JPG.31d9b35cc191d8cc8f67c9cb98b7ca6e.JPG

Started sanding and first coat of primer. Ran out of black primer, so stalled myself out. 
IMG_2328.thumb.JPG.257e0df06d2f779c86ec4fdb916a3459.JPG

I'm thinking this might be a practice piece for a ReaperCon entry of the same tank. 

• Like 11

sanded, primed, sanded, primed, sanded again, and now it's ready for my paint job.  Whatever that is going to be. 

IMG_2332.thumb.JPG.aeb054c43cc0621f94a15fdf3999d727.JPG

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Wonderful vehicle!

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

That's awesome!

Hoping to get a 3d printer this year.  Roughly what would that have cost, in plastic, to print?

It's printed in Hatchbox Grey PLA which costs about $22-26 for a Kilogram spool on Amazon (depends on stock levels).

The tank itself weighs a little over 200 grams, but in terms of plastic used, it was probably closer to 250 grams, thanks to support material, aborted prints, options not shown here, etc. Essentially, I can print 4 tanks from a single spool.

So about $6-7. And about 30 hours total time on the printer for all the parts.

There are cheaper filaments available, but I've found I have more print problems with those, which means I'd likely only able to get three tanks from a spool, which means it would still work out to about $6-7.

Started my paint job.  I'm using Siri's tutorial on rust. I'll then use the salt chipping method over the rusted areas, and spray my base coat.  So it's going to not only look weird for a bit here, most of what I'm doing right now will be covered up.IMG_20180211_163240.thumb.jpg.bbe9245638d89f16d6884594fe320204.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for the info, and I'm looking forward to seeing your weathering...I've got some mechs I'm working on but I'm not planning on weathering these ones too much...but there are more to come.

• Like 1

So far it looks like a glorious mess:

IMG_20180212_201039.thumb.jpg.0bd68dd387e2411cf32fb96fd72023d4.jpg

Overall, the application of Siri's rust method looks horrible on this model (it looks far better on the Iron Golem and Skid Loader you can see in the background).  The good news is that there are some localized spots that look really good - so that's where the salt will go for the next step.

• Like 7

With the salt applied:

IMG_20180215_123807.thumb.jpg.b835b09405770a14177718e34696975d.jpg

IMG_20180215_123801.thumb.jpg.719f6a26026a7a4e09a9d07760f05dce.jpg

And started the base coat.

IMG_20180215_124054.thumb.jpg.8b693cffdafd00affdbb44d8150a9eed.jpg

Once the base coat is dry, I'll have to go carefully pick all that salt off. If it works, then I'll have chipped paint with rusted spots underneath.

• Like 9

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By kristof65
      Figured I'd create a thread to show off the finished cars from my thread in the Sculpting sub forum.

Here's the Europa Magnus Hover Wagon:

Wasn't really sure how to do the glass area. I am happy with my color choices, but not sure about my highlighting.

Here's my delivery van:

I didn't even try to sand out the print layer lines, since these are supposed to be quick and dirty, yet practical pieces to practice painting techniques on.
    • By Inarah
      Started these back in October, specifically the Sara Blitzer conversion.  Was working on them at Reapercon, finished them during the Minivember challenge.  Based and sprayed last night. I also completed one more of the Tisdale cousins, from the BoGW.  They are ready for the game tonight. 

From left to right: 80024, 80049, 80014, 80019, 80021, 80010.

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      Got my painting room into shape enough to start painting.  Since I haven't really done much since...May? I figured I'd just done some quick table top figs to get back into it.
      Most of my figs are still stuffed in the closet or basement, but I found a bag of IMEF marines I'd been using as proxies for SecFor IV in MERCS: Recon until I got some MERCS painted.
      Picked out one of each (don't seem to have the kneeling guy, have to track him down once I get my Bones out of the closet) and threw some brown liner on them.

So far I've determined I need to steal the comfy padded chair back from my wife. The hard wooden chair will not do for long sessions.....

• By kristof65
      Some of you have probably seen my Tycho AFV for my Nova Corp figures, and the Rottweiler Grav Tank I'm working on for my IMEF figures.  They've been quite fun to create. And now I've been going through my collection of other Reaper Chronoscope figures, and I've realized I've got a few other groups of figures that I could make similar sized units from. If I do that, it would be only fair if I gave them each a vehicle.

Since it will be a little bit before I actually get around to any of these, I thought I would ask you all what sort of look you would envision for vehicles for these various factions:

Cyber-Reavers - Given the Terminator vibe of these minis, I'm thinking something along the lines of the Hunter Killer flying craft from the movies. 

Kulathi - ???

Bathalians -  ???

Blackstar Corsairs - ???. I'm thinking maybe some sort of drop pod or drop ship for them? Or maybe just a bigger walker? 

The Gray Aliens already have a flying saucer, so they're good. 

That's what I have in my collection already (mostly thanks to 3 Bones Kickstarters).  But I went ahead and browsed through the Chronoscope line in the store, and while I don't really see any other groups of minis that are big enough to make complete units, there are a few that were inspiring, should additional minis for them come along:

Illyrians (2 minis) - ??? 

Blood Nebula Mercenary (1 mini) - ???

Alien Overlords (3 minis) - ???

Sligg (3 minis) - ???

There are also enough sci-fi hero types, such as Kirby McDowell Space Privateer and Bonnie Futuristic Heroine, to assemble mercenary like unit. They'll need a vehicle too. 

So let's see your thoughts and ideas. 

• By kristof65
      As if I didn't already have so many projects in progress I can't count, I kept looking at the case of Bones IMEF figures, and thought "These guys need something that can take out a few NOVA Corp Tycho AFVs."

This concept was born:

I am shooting for it to be about the size of a GW Land Raider. Going to block it out in Fusion 360 soon.
  • Who's Online   21 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)