Sign in to follow this  
android

Reaper Bones ranges??

Hi

As a newbie, can anyone give me a quick rundown on the different Reaper Bones Ranges -  i.e.   Townsfolk, Chronoscope, Pathfinder?

Are they each tied to a specific theme?

Do people stick to one category - or pick whatever you feel like doing?

Cheers

Andy

As far as I know, there are 5 Bones ranges.

Dark Heaven Bones (77xxx)- This is Reapers primary fantasy line. The "Dark Heaven" line was originally connected to a role play setting, as far as I understand. Anything that you'd expect to see in D&D should be present in this line, though there are a couple gaps.

Pathfinder (89xxx) - These are (others may correct me) officially licensed miniatures by Paizo. These are designed to correspond with the Pathfinder books.

Chronoscope (80xxx)- This is Reapers kitchen sink line. Anything that doesn't fit into the normal fantasy setting goes here, such as Sci-fi, Western, etc. 

These two aren't typically listed with Bones on the packaging, but they have minis using Bones plastic:

Savage Worlds (91xxx)- This line is officially licensed from the Pinnacle Entertainment Group and consists of minis from Savage Worlds. These make good Western minis.

CAV (72xxx) - These are made for the CAV skirmish game. These are primarily mecha models.

I personally grab whatever seems useful to me as a DM for Bones, meaning I primarily stay in Dark Heaven and Pathfinder, though I'm branching out to Chronoscope for Starfinder use. 

When I'm buying just to paint, I get things from the metal versions of the ranges, for the most part.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ladystorm said:

Numenera line 621xx also has Bones plastic models.

I didn't know about that line! Is there a reason that it doesn't have its own category header in the webstore like Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and CAV?

Savage Worlds is the name of a generic roleplaying game system by Pinnacle Entertainment Group, and the Savage Worlds miniatures are licensed characters and creatures from one of their campaign settings based on their older rpg game Deadlands, a Wild Weird West setting infused with magic, steampunk and strangeness.

As Ladystorm mentioned, the Numenera figures are based on concepts from Monte Cook's Numenera rpg. It's a science-fantasy game where technology largely takes the place of magic, so it's really more in line with the Chronoscope range than anything else.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Some Warlord miniatures made it into Bones as well.

However they are not separate number ranges, they are included in the DHL 77xxx range.

• Like 3

Here are the rules that you need to follow when deciding which Bones figures to buy:

1.  Buy what you want to use/paint.

End of list.

Seriously, at the end of the day, all that matters is that you are having fun. If you are having fun, then you are doing it right. We have people on the forums here who are absolutely incredible artists who seemingly make miracles happen with paint and miniatures. Then we also have people like me, where I'm excited when I generally hit most of the miniature with paint and the average person can at least tell what I was attempting to accomplish. But we all have one thing in common. We're having fun. 

For me, in general I'm buying things that I think I might use as a GM or player, with the occasional dabble in something that just looks fun to paint, but for me "fun to paint" usually also coincides with something I might use in a game. If its from the Pathfinder line, great. If its from Dark Heaven, no problem, etc., etc. A lot of people have been getting into painting busts lately. To me, there's just not much appeal there, but that doesn't make them wrong or me wrong. you get the idea. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Gargs said:

Seriously, at the end of the day, all that matters is that you are having fun. If you are having fun, then you are doing it right. We have people on the forums here who are absolutely incredible artists who seemingly make miracles happen with paint and miniatures. Then we also have people like me, where I'm excited when I generally hit most of the miniature with paint and the average person can at least tell what I was attempting to accomplish. But we all have one thing in common. We're having fun. 

Painting is supposed to be fun?

Huh...

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Bruunwald said:

Painting is supposed to be fun?

Huh...

Well, since I'm not good enough to be able to charge anyone for my services . . . yeah. ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Something not mentioned yet, is that all the lines, regardless of price, are made of the exact same material. So there isn't a collector line of Bones, or beginner line. It's just mostly branding for licensing purposes.

Now that being said, the Chronoscope does use a darker color to distinguish them; you have some clear color ones (flame/water/ghost/etc. effects); and some specialty parts made of stiffer materials (Wyrmgear wings, catacomb); but overall everything is made of "Bonesium".

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3