dawnlynne1971

Giants - metal

I've got a couple questions about some giant, as in storm, cloud, frost, fire, etc. giants, metal miniatures.

1st, I've purchased several of the Reaper metal giant types and multiple numbers of them.  Are there any other miniature manufacturers of metal miniatures that could work for the storm, cloud, mountain, titan giants?  I'd like to keep the scale the same as the Reaper miniatures because other than some old Ral Partha miniatures, everything I have is Reaper.  I've found Pegaso and Alexandros miniatures in 75 and 90 mm scales but I don't know how they'd really look or compare to all the Reaper giants.

2nd, are there any plans to make the Reaper Bones giants, such as 77591 frost giant king and 77163 male storm giant, in metal? 

Thanks.

Otherworld makes a pretty nice Frost Giant.

Some size comparisons in this thread:

Das Schwarze Auge miniatures makes a couple of nice giant snow trolls. The only place I have seen them sold is Ral Partha Europe, which is not the same people as Ral Partha.

Oh, and of course Ral Partha has some classic old metal giants, although with scale creep they are not so giant any more.

And now I am thinking about it, Mirliton, in Italy, owns some of Grenadier’s old catalogue and also sells a few metal giants.

If you search Evilbay for Fantasy Giants you can find a lot of the older ones too.

Grenadier, Metal Magic, Rafm, Ral Partha, Harlequin.

A lot of the older metal giants have fallen victim to scale creep and are no longer as impressive as they once were. A lot of them do still work as lesser types of giants, but it's hard to find older metal pieces that still work for the bigger giants like storm and cloud giants. Titans are especially tough.

As you said, your best bet is going with larger-scale figures for the bigger giants.

Figures of Greek and Roman gods work well for giants and titans as they can usually be found both with and without armor depending on what sort of giant you want then to represent. In addition to the two companies you mentioned, Andrea Miniatures also carries figures in larger scales.

One thing to note is that it's not so much size differences that make things look wrong when put into a mixed group, but different art styles and aesthetics - not all cloud giants, for example, need to be the same size, but they do all need to be sculpted and painted in a similar style to mark them as cloud giants. If all your cloud giants are sculpted to be thick and bulky, a noticeably leaner one will stand out more than a slightly shorter or taller one.

As for Reaper making the newer giants in metal eventually, highly unlikely to happen - one of the major reasons behind the Bones line was that casting figures that large in metal was too expensive to be profitable.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4

Lance & Laser, now Armorcast, has a very nice male cloud giant that goes very well with the Bones female Cloud Giant.

LL00236CloudGiant-720x720.jpg

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 3

Stonehaven has giants. I am not sure if they are only in resin or if they are in metal too. Scale should be about right.

1.png

2.png

• Like 3

Just now, Smokestack said:

Stonehaven has giants. I am not sure if they are only in resin or if they are in metal too. Scale should be about right.

They are resin.

The Stonehaven Giants scale up well compared to Reaper, too.

The Storm Giant is small, though, in comparison to the other "tribes"

giant forscale.jpg