So I've had a Tau force since the large scale Armageddon event/stuff pretty much happened a good ten years ago, and it's been in a state of "left on the side in the boxes" for a while now....  While I'd love to wrap up my Catachans first, I wound up starting on the Tau simply because I had a few ideas for them come to mind and figured I'd give it a go, and hopefully come up with a cohesive colouration by the time it's all said and done ^_^

Most of the assembled minis were spray primered in black years ago, and I'm not really a fan of black as my primer anymore (I switched to light grey a while after these guys were primered), so first order of business was to give them a new base coat consisting of two parts white brush on primer, and one part grey liner.  The next coat consisted of lava orange (for the orange bits), and then an equal 1:1:1 of Mountain Stone, Terran Khaki, and Desert Sand for the second colour.  Sadly, I totally forgot what I did for the "boots", but odds are I'll be changing that colour up as I'm not all the happiest with it at the moment.  I also used Ebony Flesh for some quick lining, but I'm still indecisive about my thoughts on such.

Follow up coat for the orange was two parts lava orange, one part Dragon Red, and I think it was four drops of water...

5a7da50fbc772_BeforeWash.thumb.jpg.981620653780706a7ed1f51cc39ca16c.jpg

That's not quite where things are right now though....  They're definitely in the "ugly" stage, since I decided I would experiment with, of all things, a complete wash coat made of Pure Black and about six drops of water...

5a7da5c7a384b_AfterWashFront.thumb.jpg.f85a9e4b3d780eadbdaebf60a2bd6b89.jpg5a7da5c89022e_AfterWashBack.thumb.jpg.f78c8dd47fd67af29642a1d5d7cf6341.jpg

While I did wind up losing a good amount of that gorgeously bright orange, I'm kind of liking how it has this almost "faded off in the sun" burnt feel to it...  Next time though I'm going to be more careful about it's application, because wow there's a decent amount of cleanup in some areas.  I like how the pants came out though ^_^;;;;

I'll have more pics later today, wasn't able to get pics off the G85 with enough time to edit them

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

It does look a bit battle hardened.

I like it!

Many thanks!  It is something I feel I'm going to have to work on, but weathering is something I've always been oh so heavily interested in, so these guys will definitely make for good practice. 

Besides, one could argue the grittier, dirtier colouration works much better as camouflage - bright orange is used as a safety colour for a reason, it's visibility! :p

The tight mix of hard and soft surfaces alongside some flesh will definitely bring about some learning!  Turns out those "boots" as I called them are more like footsocks, with the bottom part of the feet sticking out (at least it how pretty much every online reference shows them being) so I'll have to conjured up some sort of alien flesh that plays well with my tannish khaki and burnt orange colouration  ^_^

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ludo said:

Guess I had better pick out paint scheme for mine...

Such is always a good thing to do ^_^ I also owe you an apology, since I kind of went orange for my Tau, although nowhere near traditional orange. 

I almost want to challenge you to who can be done first :p  I do have a bunch (20ish) of suits still to assemble (I was waiting on picking up bases from Secret Weapon though, so posing them is "easier"), then of course the stealth suits to go with that (half a dozen or so), a bunch of drones to assemble and paint, and then of course... 

The two devilfish, three tanks (two hammerheads and one sky something, the missile one), and then all the... Whatever the grunts are called, lol.  Thankfully, half of it is assembled.  We won't comment in my Skaven, but I've been tempted to take a pic and go "I wonder if I can get them all base coated this year" as there's over 200 of those... 

I just have the Start Collecting box. So 23 miniatures. About half assembled.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ludo said:

I just have the Start Collecting box. So 23 miniatures. About half assembled.

Not a bad start either way, because their models are rather nice....  it's tempting to pick one up myself, but I should probably hold off until I've finished at least a few of my current ones ^_^  I have, uhm...

2x Tau Fire Warriors + Devilfish (16 warriors, 2 Devilfish, 8 drones),

1x Tau Rapid Insertion Force (9x XV8 suits, 3x XV25 Stealth Suits, 19x drones), and

1x Tau Armoured Interdiction Force (2x Hammerhead, 1x Sky Ray, and of course the 6x drones total that come with them)

Oh right, and somewhere I also have a Commander too....

And to call this force "complete", I sure wouldn't eventually mind adding in over time...

2x XV88, and probably one each of the newer shinier suits like the 95 and 104...  Or something.  Unknown at this time >.>;;;;

Fun part is going to be coming up with a cohesive paint scheme I definitely like overall, and fits the fluff I'm planning on giving them and/or have already conjured up ^_^

Guess I don't have quite as many Tau as I thought I did... Which, arguably is kind of nice, but it's still a decent amount to paint.  Definitely less foot sloggers than my Catachans, to say the least (which I have at least five dozen guys, plus a dozen weapons teams (yay for the clever trick of being able to use a single "three team box" to make 9-10 if you also buy a box of regular guys, and then 60mm bases for them too), as well as two Sentinels)

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2

More updates, whooo!  Well, in this case it's more catching up, but I digress :rolleyes:

5a7f3503a7b5f_WarriorFront.jpg.dbdd95a010ac0f8338759de1a8512f2d.jpg5a7f3505448f1_WarriorSideBackThreeQuarter.jpg.1cb49d7b14be3f0b29b727dcd95e2f60.jpg

^ First and foremost, I swapped back to my G85's kit lens, because I was getting tired of having to be almost a foot away to take pics with the 25mm f1.7, and I was dialing things back to f2.8 at minimum anyways to keep most of the mini in focus.  Kit lens I can get closer, which means less editing ^_^;;;;

I don't quite remember what I did for a wash to try and bring some of that orange back, but I think it was something like three drops of lava orange, one drop of dragon red, and five or six drops of water...  I really need to start taking notes as I do this.  Basically, I'm trying to find a balance between the gritty look of a prolonged city fight while also maintaining the details of armour that gives the appears of having been previously lustrous and vibrant.  I'm seriously contemplating picking up some of Secret Weapon's pigments to see if they'd give me that precise weathering I'm looking for, and odds are I'm going to go with the Urban Streets bases from Secret Weapon because it definitely fits their theme, and then add in a few packs of Desert Wasteland for variety.

• Like 6