Guindyloo

Buglips and Guindyloo paint DHL 02017: Scorpius Rex Dracus

Hi friends! We have another project to share with you in our continuing series where Buglips and I paint the same figure using our own very different from each other approaches to miniature painting. If you're not familiar with this series, you can check out our previous topics:

03100: Thanis the Bonecaller

01614: Con Crud 2017 Convention Zombie

02818: Bugbear Warrior

For this project, we decided to paint Scorpius Rex Dracus, which is an older figure in the back catalog of Reaper - just look at the number! 02017! He's one of the OG's of the Reaper catalog! Our usual method for picking a figure is generally that one of us already owns it and suggests it and then the other of us goes and orders it. However, for Scorpius Rex Dracus, we actually both already owned him because he's a really neat figure with a lot of personality.

I know a lot of people are a bit intimidated by the thought of painting dragons, but I promise they're a lot of fun and this guy would actually be a great starter dragon, as he's on the smaller side. I didn't have a Sir Forscale, but here he is next to Queen Illeosa of Korvosa to give you an idea of his size.

photo.thumb.jpg.a6a0e51f6e8dd123912828abb17e4590.jpg

So you can see, he's a far less intimidating size than the dragons you see in Bones. (Spoiler alert, I'm going to assemble him a little later. ::P:)

But for now, here he is straight out of the blister:

1scorpius01.thumb.jpg.eccbef0210289e4831c4d7598e34e22f.jpg

As we've done with our previous WIP posts, I will be tackling this guy with my method of painting for display and I'll do my best to take y'all through all of the steps that I go through from start to finish and share my thoughts with you as I go along.

As always, please feel free to comment or ask questions - I'm always glad to help out in whatever way I can along the way. I'll try not to take too many blurry pictures....but no promises. ::P:

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

And here is mine, not quite so fresh from the blister since he last saw it ten years ago and has lived in a baggie ever since:

fresh001.JPG.100aac65d9e76529d31ed5f907215829.JPG

This one will not just be different colours, but it turns out our respective plans regarding painting and assembly steps are opposite from one another - so you'll get to see two different approaches for these fiddly-to-assemble beastly types.  Scorpius Rex Dracus assembles like most dragons, so what we cover here should apply to most dragon or dragon-like (wyvern) type models.  The scale might be a bit different, though!

• Like 21

Thx for putting another WIP up, I love your joint WIPS/Tutorials.

They are very helpful!

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thx for putting another WIP up, I love your joint WIPS/Tutorials.

They are very helpful!

Thanks for following along with us!

We really enjoy doing them, so it’s always good to hear that people like them and find them helpful!

• Like 8

Yay! Another thread!!

Also, I really should dig around Reaper's back catalog... 

• Like 7

Excellent stuff! This thread may just be the inspiration I need to finally start digging into my dragon and dragon-like minis!

• Like 6

Guindy, I have a question about how you handled the mold slippage. The pic looks to me like it wasn't too bad. My question is if you considered using green stuff to fill the ridge from the high side to the low side. I do this sometimes with slippage because for me it can be easier or less time intensive to copy the texture with green stuff than filing down the high side of the slippage. It's sort of like gap filling. The slippage on this mini may not have been extensive enough for that approach to be practical though. Just curious about your approach.

• Like 7

Doing these joint WIP threads is a genius idea; congrats and thanks to both of you for doing this!

@Guindyloo--special thanks for going into detail with the assembly of this particular model. You didn't cover anything I didn't know, but a lot of it I had to learn the hard way. If you doing this saves even one person from those painful lessons, then you have accomplished an awesome thing.  :winkthumbs:

• Like 9

Are you going to do this only for Reaper minis?

I mean, there are some great Ral Parthas out there too, and I have found a lot of them needing extensive gapfilling if not resculpting parts.

With my Chess Playing Dragon I had to sculpt a reasonable chunk of the midtail..

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Are you going to do this only for Reaper minis?

Yes, only Reaper miniatures.  This is for a couple of reasons.

First, expanding beyond Reaper creates logistical issues because Reaper is one of the few companies we have in common.  I collect RAFM and Partha (with a smattering of Darksword), Guindy likes Kingdom Death and others, and while there are lots of good figures out there from other companies not all of them are easily gotten if one of us has it and the other doesn't.  We tend to buy Reaper regularly, so any figure we don't already have is simple to add to the cart.

Second, if we were going to do this as a regular thing we thought we should use the opportunity to promote some Reaper stuff, especially interesting stuff that might get lost in the vastness of the back catalog.  It's Reaper's site, after all, and if we find something cool that people want then why not send the business to our hosts?  Reaper is good about people posting figures from other companies, so by way of thanks we're going to make these exclusively Reaper products.

With few exceptions, we try to keep it mostly to figures that are still in production.  This is so people can get them if they like 'em.  Con Crud was an exception because he was too much fun to pass up, and when we switch roles and I have to paint fancy then we'll be using 25th Anniversary figures.  This will be maybe 10% of what we do.

The only other rule is no nudity, mostly because third-party linking is a pain in the butt. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Flit said:

Guindy, I have a question about how you handled the mold slippage. The pic looks to me like it wasn't too bad. My question is if you considered using green stuff to fill the ridge from the high side to the low side. I do this sometimes with slippage because for me it can be easier or less time intensive to copy the texture with green stuff than filing down the high side of the slippage. It's sort of like gap filling. The slippage on this mini may not have been extensive enough for that approach to be practical though. Just curious about your approach.

So, unfortunately I didn't properly document the issue. In the picture where I start talking about the mold slippage, I had already been carving away at the ridge for some time when I thought "ah, crap, I should've taken more pictures of this." So it was worse than it looked there and to answer your question, yes, I did consider using greenstuff for it once I realized how extensive the issue was. The reason I didn't go that direction is because, honestly, I'm not terribly comfortable with using greenstuff. I'm trying to get myself more familiar with it, but right now my skill level with it is only at a level for adequate-ish gap filling. To use it on the entire length of the figure in a way that would actually look good would take some minor and pretty rudimentary sculpting skill, but minor as it may be, it wasn't something that I felt comfortable doing. I felt far more comfortable with carving it down even though it was quite a bit more time consuming and perhaps more risky in a physical sense, but I felt that aesthetically speaking, I would have a better result with treating it like a particularly gnarly mold line.

Thank you for bringing that up, as certainly greenstuff would be a very good solution to the issue for people who are more comfortable or at least more adventurous with their greenstuffing.

• Like 10

I am pretty sure have an older painted figure with some mold slippage that I failed to remove, if you want me to get a photo to demonstrate that issue. I think it happened a lot more on older models than new ones. 

• Like 3