Guindyloo

Buglips and Guindyloo paint DHL 02017: Scorpius Rex Dracus

27 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

Out of curiosity, do you two take suggestions for future paints?

We have a rough plan of ones we want to do picked out, but you might know of some cool figs we haven't looked at or thought of.  It's a pretty flexible schedule.  I can't guarantee when or if we will do ones you suggest, but I don't have any problem with it.

• Like 6

These threads are absolute goldmines. "Thanis" has given me so many ideas for my own copy, and really motivated me to get started.

It's really public-spirited of both of you to put so much time and effort into this, it's an excellent advert for what so many people think of as only a hobby for nerds.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I am pretty sure have an older painted figure with some mold slippage that I failed to remove, if you want me to get a photo to demonstrate that issue. I think it happened a lot more on older models than new ones. 

That'd be cool, thanks! ^_^

2 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

Out of curiosity, do you two take suggestions for future paints?

Like Buglips said, we're happy to hear suggestions but can't guarantee that we'll absolutely do the specific figures suggested. But by all means, feel free to suggest things but what will be most helpful is if you additionally state why you're suggesting that figure. Sure, "I really like this figure" or "I want to paint this figure and would like to see examples" are perfectly valid reasons for making suggestions, but what would be more helpful is "Because I'd like to see how you approach spell effects" or OSL or armour or whatever. 

At the end of the day, we have to want to paint the figures because no one's going to have as good of an experience if we're not really into what we're painting, right? We won't have fun painting the figure so we won't put as much effort in and it won't be as useful for anyone. Not to mention, who wants to spend money on a figure that they don't actually like? But if you have a general reason for something that you want to see, well then maybe even if we don't do the specific figure, we might already have a figure planned where we could demonstrate whatever you're looking to see on that instead and at the very least, move that figure up on the list since there's obvious interest in something specific.

1 hour ago, paintybeard said:

These threads are absolute goldmines. "Thanis" has given me so many ideas for my own copy, and really motivated me to get started.

It's really public-spirited of both of you to put so much time and effort into this, it's an excellent advert for what so many people think of as only a hobby for nerds.

I'm so glad they've been helpful to you! Make sure you let us know when you get your Thanis painted! Better yet, do a WIP thread! ^_^

I wouldn't have thought that being public-spirited and nerd hobbying were mutually exclusive, but I have been very fortunate to have called the Reaper forum home from the start, so perhaps I've been a bit sheltered from less friendly hobby nerds.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I noticed that also on some Gargoyles that I just recently did.  You can really see it on # 02039 that I posted. I left it as a "flaw" in the carving of the gargoyle before it was animated. I think it gave it a bit of character.

Until now, I had no clue as to what the reason was. Thanks the the "lesson". ^_^

• Like 4

To complement @Guindyloo regarding mold slip - my part hidden to not detract from the overall WIP.

The barbarian woman is an old figure I did many years ago (who needs some touch-ups on worn off paint). Her mold slip is prominent enough for me to recall how bad it was after so much time. Along the mold seam, she has a noticeable off-set. The two blocks moved, making one side of her arm raised higher than the other. This is seen on both her arms and one of her legs. I can feel the raised portion with my finger. 

For the necromancer, instead of the disjointing happening badly on the arm, it is noticeable on everything on the staff. Her fingers are disjointed (I tried to cover that with gloss resin to an extent). You can also see that the cloth wraps on the staff don't line up like they should. She also had a large mold slip on her tattooed leg, but I was able to fix that with a blob of gloss resin to fill the seam. The fingers and the cloth were too fine of detail to fix. 

20180211_182901.thumb.jpg.16686fbb7adbc7c63b7b957d2789a6e8.jpg20180211_183234.thumb.jpg.a91af540dca053abfeb60e3308fb78e8.jpg20180211_183222.thumb.jpg.54d8cba7f5b59bb8d29ded56a9f96f91.jpg20180211_183202.thumb.jpg.6d650c6d36cfe6c8acf3584556496cc9.jpg20180211_183201.thumb.jpg.d43a2fe92834cd7d1d465c389c8d9d0c.jpg20180211_183112.thumb.jpg.67a7b5e993732b980933681fbc9e9fcc.jpg20180211_183040.thumb.jpg.ff05ff1294f6413dd5a6d979c0901ddb.jpg20180211_183033.thumb.jpg.4b8d77ad2def239f3d22c825e42a4ea7.jpg20180211_183006.thumb.jpg.cc2e0ebc7257c32f8cf00bd5a65cf537.jpg20180211_182939.thumb.jpg.2934c986f25b624b669251afd68426a5.jpg

20180211_182935.thumb.jpg.c4fbbc1c407602bff6fd85da939848a9.jpg

• Like 10

There is just one minor bad side effect from these threads..

It makes me wanna buy every mini you guys paint!

FIENDS!!!

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

There is just one minor bad side effect from these threads..

It makes me wanna buy every mini you guys paint!

FIENDS!!!

What a mysterious side effect. :ik_oops:

• Haha 9

It's a side effect I'm willing to live with, honestly; getting to see how you guys tackle these miniatures is interesting, educational and a lot of fun.

and you're painting a dragon this time, which means you are definitely doin' it right. ^.~

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to sift through my dragons yet unpainted and see if I have this one....

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

and you're painting a dragon this time, which means you are definitely doin' it right. ^.~

No, they were supposed to do the hydra because that's coming up on my to-do list. ::P:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Maybe the next thing. .. or they'll paint something that includes a lantern. Or ... well, whatever it is, it's likely to be good.

Looking forward to the next installment of the green and teal dragon twins. ^^;

• Like 6

When's the faceless horror up? We could see the goblin and the moon empress paint hundreds of eyeballs :poke:

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, Cyradis said:

When's the faceless horror up? We could see the goblin and the moon empress paint hundreds of eyeballs :poke:

I've already painted one.  That's not to say it won't happen, but it probably won't be my idea.  I also painted 02923 Princess of Hell, which was actually one I'd suggested for this sort of thing.  I painted the one I had because I'd destroyed two already trying to finish one and decided not to take any risks with #3.  I'm willing to do figures a second time for illustrational purposes, but I leave another Hell Princess up to Guindy's discretion.  It's a nice piece and good to show some things with, but it's got some frail bits.  That's what makes it a good demo, to show those, but it also means there's a not-insignificant chance something will break during the WIP... and probably something not easily fixed.  But she's a beauty, so I have no regrets.

Short update today, I didn't get much done yesterday because I have a pinched nerve.  I finished basecoating the body with my dark elf green:

greenbody.JPG.a8290ab328e4a5c924fce3dc03f3c04f.JPG

While I had that out I put some green on the wings:

winggreen.JPG.078837ae086e78b273bd1d270c0a33c2.JPG

And then I darkened up some Coat D'arms Barbarian Leather with reaper brown liner to give me a shade colour for his belly:

bellydark.JPG.13bfa262d8a5a6223ab6caea2c5fe250.JPG

• Like 21