Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
In the Storm King's Thunder campaign I'm playing in we've had 2 encounters with an ancient blue dragon named Iymrith. I don't have a painted blue dragon... And my very pregnant DM isn't going to get one bought and painted before we need her, so...
Digging through my minis, I figured Narthrax was as close as I've got. It was going to be blue anyway (or dessert sands brown) so that was my top choice. I also thought about the wizkids dragons, but the FLGS only had the green, and I wasn't all that impressed with the sculpt. I'd rather drop $30 on another Narthrax if I'm gonna paint a brown one in the future.
Tonight I pulled her out, scrubbed her down, and started working on her base.
She could probably for on a smaller base, but with her wingspan, and the fact that she's an ancient dragon, I figure she deserves it.
and the cork will give her some extra height.
It helps her look even bigger as compared to Blightfang!
More to come!
Everyone, meet Viridius.
He's a hefty boi. No Ma'al or Kalladrax, but still pretty big. He doesn't even fit in my light box, as you can see.
I've thought a long time about how I was going to paint him up, I don't think I'm going to go with the standard green dragon look. Instead I'm going to take my inspiration from the time of year, and make him an autumn forest dragon, whose coloration changes with the forest around him. So I'll be doing him in mostly golden yellows to oranges and reds, but keeping some greenish tones as the base of scales and other places, to kind of give a reminder of the verdent glory he was before.
One thing I'm choosing to see as an opportunity is that the tops of his wings are very smooth, ideal for some freehand work. The question is, what to do? Some kind of leaf like pattern, or perhaps a butterfly like eye pattern (in the leaf colors, of course)
Out of the box bag he was in pretty good shape. The usual mold line cleanup, though he has some gaps that will need to be filled. I followed up with reshaping the wings a little with some boiling water. I forgot to get a complete before picture, but below you can see the before and after for the right wing
I've had to fully assemble him, I don't like the way the wing joins look without greenstuff, so that's going to be the first order of business. So painting around the wings might be a chore, but it's nothing I haven't dealt with before (Although, not in recent history)
I begain the gapfill on the right side, but after sticking a finger in greenstuff twice and having to flip him back to touch up the texture, I decided to call it a night and do the left side gaps later.
How Morihalda Achieved Maximum Distraction from 14 Other WIP Threads: A Story.
6 November. My husband and I went on a date to the museum. We always have so much fun there and learn so many new things! I saw an absolutely gorgeous snake and thought, "Wow, that would be an excellent dragon pattern. OH WOW Ma'al could be five different reptile patterns!!" I'd been wanting to do a skeletal or blacklight theme for him for forever, but I decided those would be better suited on a smaller dragon.
I spent some time that night researching snakes, lizards (and the occasional amphibian), and habitats before settling on some patterns. I spent a few more hours cleaning up mold lines and convincing myself that I don't need to resculpt these perfect heads!
Red - Fire Skink
Black - Lace Monitor
Green - Green Iguana
Blue - Blue Tree Monitor
White - Blue tongue Skink
Body - Fire Skink
This Boelen's Python didn't make the cut since I settled on lizards, but look at that good son! He's going to be my black dragon one day.
The red fire skink will be inspiration for both the red head and body. It has so many amazing colors that will help bring all the faces together. I'm thinking the wings will be muted on the underside to match the black and white heads and more fire skink on the top. This means the black and white heads need to be the middle level heads - there's a beautiful curve from them leading to each wing.
My tentative color blocking. Good enough for an art gallery, yeah? ;)
7 November. I spent over three hours this afternoon pinning, gluing, and green stuffing specific sections. The wing gaps and one of the legs are pretty rough, but the head scales perfectly cover the neck scales! Almost like it was planned.
8 November. I am still prepping. There is still barely enough done to warrant a forum post. All I have to show you are stabby holes in my hands (yes I will be using a holder/lazy Susan when painting, but I need all the angles while sculpting). Either I got one that was a little uneven or I'm just way more picky than some folks, but I have had a ton of gap filling to do for the legs.
How did some of you do this in 7 days?! Someone send me rations and supplies to survive!
By Darsc Zacal
Andy over at Heresy Miniatures has done something I thought he’d never do. Launch a second production run of his infamous dragon.
Link to the Live Kickstarter:
I know there’s at least a couple of us here who have this dragon from it’s original production run. Haven’t attempted to assemble mine yet. It’s a huge beast of a model and is definitely for experienced hobbyists.
I wish Andy all the best for his kickstarter but I am very concerned he’s going back into production on this. The original run nearly ruined him and his company, it’s a long story, and it took years for him to get everyone their dragons.
The price for the dragon has gone up since then, substantially so. I really hope he has the financial end of this worked out.
Its a great dragon though.
Who's Online 30 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)