Marvin

Marvin does stuff: a thread.

The thread for which no one asked. The thread no one needed.

Level one: You can ask things. I probably won't have a legit answer. Unless it's about writing/books/dying small family farms/theology/politics/80s punk/sitcoms/dankness, in which case I'll pretend to have legit answer while talking out my ear. But I'll be honest, either way. And don't actually ask about politics because someone will get mad. Ignore the other qualifiers.

Level two: You can tell me something. I kept promoting the TMS thread at the height of the AMA craze and was happy when Bryan finally did it, since he had the clout to make it shine around here. He was too busy and/or gone elsewhere to really work it, though, which is disappointing. For is. Not so much for him. So tell me something. I might do something with it. At least acknowledge it. Maybe. Barring death, dismemberment, or sleep. Remember the best facts breathe.

Level three: I'm probably just going to post what amounts to writing prompts in this thread. My aim is to share and develop somewhat malleable prompts/exercises/starting points/thoughts that are (a) useful to me as a writer and possibly others and also (b) adaptable to RPG ends.  This likely will be pointless and useless for all of us.

There may be other levels.

Am I not entertained?

All of this likely will be pointless and useless for all of us.

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

80's punk.?

What's your favorite band/song?

I always say ALL was my favorite band from that era. When Scott Reynolds took over vocals is where they peaked for me. Allroy's Revenge is about a perfect record (though not as good as Descendents' All).

So very not hardcore tho, I know.

• Like 2

What, in your opinion, is the greatest confectionery goodie of all time? 

(side note: the forums move kind of slow on the weekend, so traffic here likely won't pick up until Monday) 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3

I don't want this thread

Oh go on then. Which film left you with the biggest high?

• Like 2

Curious (nosey) about your writing career. When did you start and why? How long did it take you to make a sale? Have you managed a full length novel or is there another format you prefer? All fiction or anything semi-factual? Answers on both sides of the paper please...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, OneBoot said:

What, in your opinion, is the greatest confectionery goodie of all time? 

(side note: the forums move kind of slow on the weekend, so traffic here likely won't pick up until Monday) 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

This is not the correct answer, but I'm partial not only in taste but heart to those donuts they serve at Chinese restaurants. Often on buffets. They're best about half-dollar sized and oblong in shape. First had them at the No. 1 Chinese Restaurant in Pulaski, TN. Don't know if they're the best, but I've found none better over the last twenty years.

5 hours ago, Beagle said:

I don't want this thread

Oh go on then. Which film left you with the biggest high?

But do you deserve this thread.

I've told my Sideways story somewhere around here before, but aside from that I cried when I saw the Shire in The Fellowship of the Ring. Saw it at the East Town Mall in Knoxville, TN. That was a magical trip to the theatre.

4 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Curious (nosey) about your writing career. When did you start and why? How long did it take you to make a sale? Have you managed a full length novel or is there another format you prefer? All fiction or anything semi-factual? Answers on both sides of the paper please...

My writing career is such that it can't really be called a career at all lulz. I was reflecting the other day, actually--I think about all this more than I probably should--that all my publication credits really aren't worth much more than lines on a CV. And since I decided not to pursue teaching my CV isn't very useful anyway. So. I probably should just treat it as a hobby.

But it's a little more than that. I developed an interest in writing in middle school*. I think it was mostly a ploy to get girls (fun fact: Writing still hasn't gotten me a girl. Like, ever). Started out writing song lyrics, and when a band never happened they became poems. Everything I wrote before I was 21 was irredeemably bad. I finally threw it all away a couple years ago. No one ever taught me anything at all about writing. It sucked.

Took a creative writing workshop in college, received guidance for the first time, and found I was pretty good at it for some reason. Pretty sure I don't have a terribly high verbal intelligence or whatever, but I've some knack for stringing very simple sentences together in a generally pleasing way. I try to strip things down as simple as possible, and I think that fools people into believing I know what I'm doing. Most people err to the extravagant.

I did an MFA ten years ago, went massively into debt, decided to skip out on the academic scene, and have been toiling in exile since. I love the short story--I'd write nothing but short stories, all things being equal. Novels are where the market is, though. I've written one failed novel and three-quarters of another that I think will be fixable and ultimately publishable if I ever finish it. I write poetry, too, but what I do is very much out of style. To the point it may just plain be bad; I'm never really sure. Everything I write is firmly grounded in the factual world, but I don't write nonfiction at all. I have to lie.

I publish fairly regularly in national journals, both print and online, and have been doing that since grad school. I had a poetry collection published by a very, very small press, and I've a collection of short stories coming from another, similarly small, press. So less than five years from the time my writing started coming together to sell my first book. Seven years out on the story collection. If I manage to get it together enough to have a novel sold within a decade, which leaves me only another year and is probably no longer a viable window lulz, I'll count it a job well done.

I've still made less than a thousand dollars lifetime from my writing. So again: not really a career. Not even really sales.

*And the roots of it are deeper than that, really. My dad is a songwriter. He commuted literally 200 miles a day when I was a kid, and he'd write song lyrics on the drive. Dude never turns the damn radio on; says it puts him to sleep. It's kind of a pain to ride too far with him sometimes. Nothing's ever come of his doings. He could've sold a song to Clint Black once, but he'd never heard of him at the time so laughed the offer off. My mother wasn't pleased. But he'd get me to writing little songs with him when I was very little. Our first collaborative efforts were "I've Got a Knot in my Shoe" ("I've got a knot in my shoe/ I've got a knot in my shoe/ What am I gonna do/ with that knot in my shoe," it went) and "Vanna, You Really Fire My Jets" (an ode to the lovely Vanna White in her early Wheel of Fortune days).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't sure which emoticon thingy to put down, your answer evoked all of them at least once.

Daft things we all do to try and attract women. I nearly joined the communist party once as they seemed to have the liveliest girls.

• Like 1

Stuff to do: Write a brief story or poem pulling from your dream life. 

This is a common, and honestly one of my least favorite, exercises. I hardly remember my dreams, what I do recall is generally fairly dull, and at this point I've pretty damn well mined that hole dry. So to speak. But I went back to it again today.

The twist I put on it today: I dream-hopped liberally. I started with my recurring flooding dream, which I've used over and over, and spun that into a dream about my wife's calling to tell me her mother died. And from there I went off the rails a bit, wound up diving into some Nile cataract imagery, and blah blah blah.

Give your piece all the rein it wants. Definitely keep it under 500 words. I stayed under 200. It's totes fine if it's a fragment.

Alternative starting point if you too are over the writing of dreams: Here's a picture of the Nile's fourth cataract. I stumbled backwards into the picture, but it vaguely moved me along. Start with this and spin out wherever you like:

fourth-cataract.jpg

D&D it: What from your dreams would make an interesting addition to an RPG? Perhaps some strange encounter could arise from the fragment of a dream, or maybe an interesting character is lurking in your unconscious. Make a very brief list of dream pieces and see what might fit.

Long ago I dreamed I was a lesbian space marine fighting on an alien planet in a squad with my lover. Sooner or later she's going to find the way out of my head and onto the table.

Think in terms of flavor, not stats. Think as wild and unrealistic as you like. Stat it later if something strikes you as cool.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Long ago I dreamed I was a lesbian space marine fighting on an alien planet in a squad with my lover. Sooner or later she's going to find the way out of my head and onto the table

"The Forever War"?

Haven't read it. But nothing so complicated as that anyway. Just a space marine who happened to be a lesbian.

My unconscious is very egalitarian.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dr. Wyrm said:

Do you have a favorite planet other than perhaps Earth?

I kind of want this to be the setup to a Marvin-the-Martian joke.

Can't say I have more than a passing interest in any other planets, though. Back eleven or twelve years ago when they reclassified Pluto I was pretty taken with the notion of dwarf/minor planets. I like the idea of them out there circling, waiting to be found. Also like the idea of Ceres and the asteroid belt as a failed/broken planet.

I do kinda like Oerth, I guess.

• Like 3

Stuff to do: Write about a cryptid. An animal that may or may not exist in the regular world of your story, legendary but unconfirmed. Maybe it's officially discovered or encountered in your story; maybe it still doesn't appear. But focus on fleshing it out on the page--physical features, behavior, strange sightings, heinous acts. Rumored or otherwise. How does the appearance or even simply the possibility of the unknown affect your character(s)?

Cryptozoology is a wide and fascinating subject, and there are many fantastic creatures out there (or not) in our world--Bigfoot, Nessie, yeti, etc.--and in literature. Feel free to use them as a launching point for your own strange creature.

D&D it: Creating new fantastical creatures is a pretty basic part of gaming. To put a little bit of a twist on things, try thinking about creating a cryptid specifically for your world. Rarer than the rarest creature in the rarest monster folio. Unstatted. Rumored perhaps. Spoken of but unconfirmed even by the most grizzled of dungeon delvers. A truly mythical creature in a mythic sort of world. If there's an encounter with it, maybe assume combat is right out. On what terms do the party meet it?

• Like 1