Marvin

Marvin does stuff: a thread.

23 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Talking about cryptids what's your favorite?

I'm a big fan of the Lizard Man of Lee County. But I'm partial to all manner of lizard men.

Also fond of the Jackalope, but (a) it isn't really a cryptid, and (b) that's probably only because of the America's Funniest People sketches back when I was a wee lad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

The Mongols really know how to do death right.

Totally different, obvs., but that painting of them put me in mind of the sandworms of Arrakis. I'd be hard-pressed to name a more significant modern literary beast.

And since I'm making wild, vaguely-connected jumps already, I'll just leave some Sandrider here.

• Like 1

Stuff to do: Pick a color. Any color. Random-generate it if you want. Think about that color in reference to a landscape or geological feature. You can let the color inform your choice or randomly generate a landscape, too (hell, pull a M:TG card, even). Jot some notes, thoughts, ideas, memories if it's a feature of the world you've seen. Then mix it up a little: Expand your writing to include a couple. Couple of friends, a married couple, whatever. Use the landscape to reveal a tension between them. If a husband and wife were in a swamp, how might the slow waters and methane gases (lulz) inform their relationship? Two brothers in a dog park? A detective and a femme fatale on a mountainside overlook? Let yourself play with intersecting character and setting.

D&D it: There are a lot of great color-coded groups and so on in various fantasy settings. I always was particularly fond of the Order of High Sorcery in the Dragonlance setting and their colored robes. What I had in mind might be better represented, though, in the Realms' Red Wizards of Thay. Even without knowing who they are, sounds kinda fun, right?

Use a color, class, and a location name to generate an order or council or group of fantastical nature. Be as random as you want. Use a generator or flip through rulebooks and use whatever class name appears on the page on which you land. Assign colors to the numbers on one die and classes to the numbers on another and roll for it. Use a location out of an established setting or make up one that sound cool to you. Get you some White Ninjas of Beverly Hills maybe.

Write a brief description or outline of this group.