araquael

Small Gaming Bases?

Hi all

Occasional lurker, first time poster.

I really want to love the "RPG Gaming Base" range (SKU 74035, 74036, 74037). I like how they have the same look and format as the Dungeons and Dragons collector's series miniatures, the Pathfinder Battles pre-painted figures, the WOTC and Wizkids prepainted figures and the various Descent branded figures.

Except...

Well, two things. Thing the first, the bases are actually 1.5mm higher than the various D+D bases, which is a mild nuisance (a future plan, maybe?). Thing the second: there is no smaller 20mm base for SMALL type creatures (Kobolds, Goblins, et-cet-era).

I kinda like uniform "looks" to my figures bases. I'd love to use the RPG bases for a project, but I don't want to put the goblin-thingies on a 1 inch base.

So any chance of Reaper making such a thing?

• Like 2

Those are noticeably bevelled. (I have a bunch of them for another project)

Basically I want something with the exact same shape and format of 74035-7 (non bevelled, hollow plastic) just in a slightly smaller format.

I know, its very much a niche consideration :)

I know that HassleFree have 20mm bases, but they are slotted.

A quick Google finds a lot of other suppliers, though, including Victrix which has 120 grey bases for $7.

Nope, not linking, that's against the rules here. 

If enough people ask for something, Reaper will at least consider it. But they are a bit on the small side for most of Reaper's own miniatures, so... who knows. 

6 hours ago, araquael said:

Basically I want something with the exact same shape and format of 74305-7 (non bevelled, hollow plastic) just in a slightly smaller format.

I know, its very much a niche consideration :)

I want this style base in the same size!! Plus 30mm and 40mm... 

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

I want this style base in the same size!! Plus 30mm and 40mm... 

Me three. 

@araquael - One way to fight the height difference with the Reaper RPG bases is to flip them upside down, and glue the mini to the inside. Then level it off with putty. 

• Like 5

I could've sworn most of the D&D pre-paints and Nolzur's line had Small creatures like Kobolds and Goblins on 20mm bases.

I agree. The bases offered by Reaper are 1 mm too tall to be compatible with most PPM minis. I have to shave off a mm and hope I get it even, which is annoying and prevents me from buying more bases.

Halber

I'm not a fan of the small bases either. I'll use em but if I have better options I'll use those instead. Turning those upside down just makes the problem worst. I'd love to see a revision done in the near future. All the other Reaper bases are fine. 

• Like 1

What problem is made worse by turning the bevel upside down?

I don’t get it. 

5 hours ago, TGP said:

What problem is made worse by turning the bevel upside down?

I don’t get it. 

The bevel creates a small depression in the mini, letting the mini sit slightly lower. If you turn it around, there is no such depression on the other side. If the mini is sitting too high on the beveled side, it will be even higher on the other side, by the height of the bevel.

19 hours ago, JackMann said:

The bevel creates a small depression in the mini,...

:huh:

...for the mini... [?]

(Feel free to rearrange the words and try again ... still confused.)

On 2/12/2018 at 8:55 PM, Halberkill said:

I agree. The bases offered by Reaper are 1 mm too tall to be compatible with most PPM minis.

There are other, less expensive sources. 

On 2/11/2018 at 11:54 AM, araquael said:

Basically I want something with the exact same shape and format of 74035-7 (non bevelled, hollow plastic) just in a slightly smaller format.

I could not find 74035, did you mean 74053?  No clue what the dash number means. 

14 hours ago, TGP said:

I could not find 74035, did you mean 74053?  No clue what the dash number means. 

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/74035

he was referring to the three sequential bases with SKUs 74035, 74036, and 74037 from his original post. (74035-7: seventy four thousand thirty five through seven)

Does Reaper have any plans to make a 1/2" (12.5mm) RPG Base? I'm fine with using the 1" RPG bases for "Small" size miniatures, as in 5th edition D&D they command the same 1" square as a "Medium" creature. But for "Tiny" creatures, I either need to not base them or to find 1/2" bases, because I need to be able to fit four of them in a 1" square.

I know I would buy a ton of 20mm round bases.  You can never have enough goblins, kobolds, and other little monsters.