Dalth

Bones Gryphon - Finished.

So been painting a bit, got a few things done but mostly stuff that's not quite as important and stuff I feel I have a decent grasp on so I haven't posted anything.  Also had a weekend at @TaleSpinner and he showed me some stuff, which was quite helpful.

The guy I did the Minotaur for has a figurine of wondrous power and we picked up a gryphon for it on the way to the game.  I've been working on it a bit the last week or so.  I'm pretty happy with it more or less, but I'm not sure what else to do with the wings.

I'm basing it on a Golden Eagle, which is mostly brown but the wings have this flash of white on them.

The pics below are from a still in progress work.  The lion part I'm quite happy with, the head I'm pretty happy with.  The wings.. I'm going to do some more glazes of tan to darken them.  Then I think I may try some light grey as a dark line.  I've used brown liner on the head and the dark part of the wings.  But I may need to do that a bit more yet.  

So if anyone has any suggestions for things I could/should do I'd be happy to hear them.  

gryphon1.jpg.8ef675bd64caa1f1553ff0ecdfe90538.jpggryphon2.jpg.6fa26e8c7421b333b9de2a937f21e9cc.jpg

• Like 15

I really like this sculpt and the colours you have chosen for it.  I normally hate dry brushing and don't do it, but the sculpted relief of the feathers on the wings on this figure respond to it really well.  After you are satisfied with the overall colour scheme, you might try using an appropriate colour of wash on each colour patch to darken the recesses in each feather, and then drybrush each patch with an appropriate highlight colour.  I found that the texture of the feathers looked really great when treated that way.  The feathers in the 'mane' don't respond as well and I found they needed to be painted and highlighted individually without dry brushing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would consider tying the lion color into the eagle by adding the gold from the lion body as your top level of highlighting on the feathers on the head especially.  Real golden eagles tend to have golden feathers on their heads.  This would go a long way towards tying the two halves together visually.

p37964424-3.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That's a great idea :)  I'll try doing that.  I've been working a little bit on highlighting the tips of the feathers on the head, but I hadn't considered using that color.  I'll do that.

that's the problems with birds... They're not very uniform looking.  Do a google image search for Golden Eagle and no two of them look exactly alike.  :blink:

It also means mixing up more paint for the lion part, which I can get eventually but it involves a few more drops of this, and then one too many drops of that.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dalth said:

that's the problems with birds... They're not very uniform looking.  Do a google image search for Golden Eagle and no two of them look exactly alike.  :blink:

The flip side to that is its difficult for anyone to say you "got it wrong". :)

Seriously though, this is beautiful work, keep it up!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As a semi-serious bird watcher I can confirm that eagles are sheer hell for colours. They change considerably as they age. Most Identification guides just say: "Variable" and leave it up to you to guess what you are seeing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paintybeard said:

As a semi-serious bird watcher I can confirm that eagles are sheer hell for colours.

Talespinner and I used to go birdwatching all the time back in college.  So I know :)  The comment was partly a joke aimed at him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dalth said:

That's a great idea :)  I'll try doing that.  I've been working a little bit on highlighting the tips of the feathers on the head, but I hadn't considered using that color.  I'll do that.

It also means mixing up more paint for the lion part, which I can get eventually but it involves a few more drops of this, and then one too many drops of that.

Being a bird with one of the largest ranges on the planet (found across the entire northern hemisphere) they have a quite a few sub-species with a lot of variability.  The "golden" in "Golden Eagle" though does come from these head/neck feathers.  Mostly I just thought it would bring some continuity to your piece.

As for remixing, are you keeping a paint journal?  If not, I suggest you start.  Here's a page out of mine from when I worked on Coraline:

IMG_E2883.JPG.ae32d8823dda88b40395856f4ab67ff2.JPG

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Mostly I just thought it would bring some continuity to your piece.

I agree and I think that would be a great way to tie it all together.  It would also make the the transition less stark, so I love that. :)

30 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

As for remixing, are you keeping a paint journal?

No I'm not.  I know I should, but the problem is that when I'm trying to get a color there's a fair amount of adding a color and having it be the wrong shade or too light/dark and having to add other colors.

So my journal would look like...

Orange - 2 drops, no 2 drops are too much so add more white.  No not that much white, and more yellow.

• Like 2

So I dry brushed the wings and thanks @Geoff Davis for that suggestion they turned out really nice I think.  :)

I also did what Talespinner suggested and at first I didn't like it but when I looked again this morning after it was completely dried I much happier with it.  Which is an important tip I sometimes forget.  That sometimes the best thing to do is let stuff sit and come back to it later.

I think I may make a few more passes of glaze over the head to lighten it up bit more and make it more golden like Talespinners pic above.

• Like 2

So here's the final version.  Rick is quite happy with it. :)  I do need to paint the base with black around the edge.  The white thing which isn't super easy to make out in the pic is some bones skeleton I cut up and put on the base.

Gryphon3.png.6f1b4527f4ee1b7970d248a6b8523c48.pngGryphon4.png.6a5abf2895362002656b60dd05c54de0.png

Edited by Dalth
  • Like 5