I've had these pics on my camera for a few days, and keep forgetting to upload them...  Keep getting distracted by other projects, but nothing wrong with that I say...  ^_^;;;;;  These photos were taken using my previous way of doing things, and I definitely prefer the "newer" way even if it means a bit more work up front, but there's less editing, and my kit lens is a LOT easier to work with for such up close pictures.  Kind of can't wait to get that Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro that's on my wishlist, but right now it's a debate between miniature supplies and camera gear, and the camera gear isn't currently on sale, plus we really could use a wider selection of paints in the house, so..... 

Ingrid was definitely an....  Interesting challenge to paint, to say the least.  She has a great deal of smaller details to her, aaaaaand she's pint shot glass sized, which adds to things.  Interestingly enough, the biggest issue I kept running into was with her gloves, boots, and especially belt.  Cloak also gave some issues, even having me somewhat frustrated at first that my initial shadow layer looked a LOT like vertical red and black stripes, I kept it as it was, and added additional layers on, which seems to have partially corrected itself, but looking at the photos, at the right angles it... Still kind of shows that way.  Oh well, we learn as we go, right? ^_^

This was also the first mini that I attempted something resembling eyes, and I did my best to have it look like she was looking right at the gem itself.  It took a few tries, but I managed to get some sort of hazel-brown eye going, although with just the one colour hazel eyes have (not the brown-green mix).

5a811d1e017c7_IngridRightArmFocus.jpg.81639065b685e1b40c4db15228873df3.jpg5a811d1a316c5_IngridFrontThreeQuarters.jpg.51bbbb22dd01a62912838e8976e36bb7.jpg

5a811d1c93f33_IngridFront.jpg.0dede12b9e03eabf0c263fc7c0600e58.jpg5a811d13612fc_IngridBackThreeQuarters.jpg.82dd510c681e58705bc0c49d3857dfc2.jpg

5a811d141c344_IngridBack.jpg.e74f8444d03890fb77aa4a415b6f9afa.jpg

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 11

She looks good, colours well chosen and placed.

Looking at the pics I would want to give one little pointer.

The paint looks a little grainy, this could be an effect due to the camera.

But if this is the case in real life too, it means you need to thin your paint more.

It is better to paint several layers of thinned paint ( when the first layer is dry, apply next etc) than one thick coat.

Keep 'em coming.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

She looks good, colours well chosen and placed.

Looking at the pics I would want to give one little pointer.

The paint looks a little grainy, this could be an effect due to the camera.

But if this is the case in real life too, it means you need to thin your paint more.

It is better to paint several layers of thinned paint ( when the first layer is dry, apply next etc) than one thick coat.

Keep 'em coming.

I don't know if it's the camera or not, but on occasion I do forget to mix the paints first before adding water, and some of them do get this odd grainyness to them that you have to mix up a LOT to try and get rid of if you try to do both steps at the same time.  It could also be that sometimes I forget to rinse my brush often enough, and the paint dries on the bristles somewhat.  It's something I'll definitely have to keep an eye out

It could also be from the extra heat of running Folding@Home on my graphics card, as I paint about 1.5-2 feet away from my tower, and only recently started turning FAH off before painting - it's made it so that my paints do last a fair deal longer in the palette too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I don't know if it's the camera or not, but on occasion I do forget to mix the paints first before adding water, and some of them do get this odd grainyness to them that you have to mix up a LOT to try and get rid of if you try to do both steps at the same time.  It could also be that sometimes I forget to rinse my brush often enough, and the paint dries on the bristles somewhat.  It's something I'll definitely have to keep an eye out

It could also be from the extra heat of running Folding@Home on my graphics card, as I paint about 1.5-2 feet away from my tower, and only recently started turning FAH off before painting - it's made it so that my paints do last a fair deal longer in the palette too.

Trying to help here.

You could make a wet pallette.

I made one in a plastic container, put a small foam square in it ( from a Dragon Box) add a little water so it is moist.

Put a piece of baking paper on top.

That will be your pallette.

It will keep your paint fresh for days.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Trying to help here.

You could make a wet pallette.

I made one in a plastic container, put a small foam square in it ( from a Dragon Box) add a little water so it is moist.

Put a piece of baking paper on top.

That will be your pallette.

It will keep your paint fresh for days.

A wet palette is definitely on my "to pick up and try out soon" list, specifically for that reason (drying out quickly) as well as a few others that for some reason escape my mind at the moment.  I'm currently debating between the DIY designs that are out there and just picking up a commercially made one, since a local art store carries reasonably sized ones for all of $10 CAD. 

Alberta is also notorious for its dry air (which probably doesn't help with paint drying quickly), especially in certain regions like the Badlands, but all we have is a lot of cows up here, compared to the hoodoos and dinosaur bones and whatnot they have down there. 

• Like 1

On normal days I use throw away plastic party dishes as a palette.

When it gets warmer or when I need to keep a mix fresh, I use the wet palette.

I think there is more advice in the Painting and Advice Thread.

Also Youtube can help you out.

• Like 1

Well done!

This figure has been giving me a challenge as well.

I will second the worth of using a wet palette. I have only been back to painting miniatures for about a month or so but my best "discovery" so far has been the wet palette. I live in the desert so keeping my paints from drying out too fast was a real problem. Now if I could just figure out liners, washes and glazes I'll be a happy person! :D

• Like 1