Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
The weather is basically perfect, so I have been outside painting and writing D&D adventures while enjoying the sunshine! I got this bad dude finished a little bit ago and I am pretty proud of how he turned out. I will probably go back and touch a few things up later on, but right now I would appreciate any critiques and advice. Thanks in advance!
By Sophie was taken
Thread title pretty much sums it up. This is Callus the Renegade from Black Orc’s Hundred Kingdoms, sculpted by Jason Wiebe:
There is is a lot going on here, from chain, scale, and plate to all the spangly bits and Things on Belts. Tried to add some variety of color where possible. Not sure what actual colors were worn by Roman soldiers, but red is popular among cosplayers according to Google. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t purple at least.
Turns out Dark Elf Skin is a pretty good approximation of actual gorilla flesh. It also seems that brown is not a popular color for actual gorilla fur, but whatever.
I was unsure just what that thing in his left hand is, so I imagined it as some sort of monkey-headed scepter, and painted it up in Dragon Copper and Antique Gold. Mostly as an excuse to try out some GW verdigris. I probably miffed the placement, but it’s a neat effect. Very much a “nasty old penny” look.
Did I mention this guy is big? Here he is alongside Miss Forscale the Strumpet:
Comments and critiques appreciated!
(Note: I actually started these a while back, though they are not done yet. This is a bit less of a WIP thread than a how-I-got-here-so-far thread, which I will update as I get my old pictures organized. Questions and comments and critiques are, as always, welcome.)
Last summer Bad Squiddo Games hosted a brief Kickstarter, "My Last Sunrise," of an assortment of Gothic horror minis centered around vampires. These two stood out to me as a little beyond the Hammer horror ethos of most of the other figures. While I was painting them I thought of them as "Feral Vampires," although when I just rechecked they are called "Vampire Thralls."
I dunno. They don't look very thrall-like to me.
Their tag line in the Kickstarter was "Float about in my night dress cooing for scraps? No way. I hunt my own meal."
Anyhow, they have a fun, odd, lady pirate or highwayman look.
All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.
Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.
This is a slight deviation from how I prime figures. Normally I prime them with Titanium White (which I did here) and then wash over them with Burnt Umber to bring out the details. These I wanted kind of cold-looking, so I washed them with a cold dark grey mixed from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue.
That's them on the left. For a while I was including Bad Squiddo's "Dracula" in the photos, so you get a free peek at that too.
And as per usual, the first thing I did was their skin. In contrast to the skin of living humans, I have been painting vampire skin in stark black-and-white mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black. The very first layer is thinned Titanium White, then pale shadows of the lightest grey.
This one took a little while but I had a lot of fun doing it.
The original mini had the figure standing on its tail awkwardly so that it was positioned mid air.
I decided to make a base for it so that it wouldn't look like it was using its tail to do a jump attack.
The column that the figure is standing on is made of an eraser. I used a knife to cut it into a basic rectangular prism shape.
I then sliced off the corners at a 45 degree angle and glued them back onto the prism so that it made a column shape.
I then proceeded use a scalpel to cut out the groves in the column to give it that damaged look.
Cutting the final column shape on an angle so that when it was stuck down, it was slanted.
The debris on the bottom is made of leftover eraser cut offs and coffee grain while the base is made of 2 washers.
I let that set for a day before glueing the figure onto it.
I went for a green and yellow colour palette for the figure. Starting with a dark green base, I moved onto a bright green mid tone and finished with a yellow highlight. Part of me is actually wondering if this worked out well as I am actually colour blind to certain shades of yellow and lighter greens.
With the wings, I tried painting a spotted pattern to try and replicate that you see on lizards in my area.
I made the outer part of the wing darker than the inside to try and draw attention to the front of the figure.
I also tried to paint in an artificial metallic shine on the spear head. This was hard but I'm happy with the result.
Let me know what you think guys.
Happy to listen to any feedback.
By Sophie was taken
Opened this one up and got it primed when I noticed a very significant case of mold-slippage. The details on her right side and left arm just didn’t line up, and I don’t have the skill to file/green stuff it away. So, rather than weep and save the mini for a melt table, she became practice! This ended up being a combination of speedpaint, demimetallic experimentation, and basing attempt, 3-4 hours total work including lots of futzing with paint mixes on my palette. The results:
Oh, and I made her a Dark Elf to try more white hair.
The purple metal is Royal Purple and Filigree Silver, mixed in varying degrees. Other metallics tended to un-purple the mix too much (except New Gold, but that’s a different look). I think she’s supposed to have gauntlets, but due to the casting issues these became cloth sleeves.
In the end she turned out far better than expected, so I’m glad I didn’t give up. One less potential resident of the shelf of shame. Comments and critiques welcome, as always.
Who's Online 18 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)