attrezzop

Warlord Kickstarter

I've backed three of Reaper's Bones Kickstarters and I love them. I used to scoff at plastic minis but the detail is still pretty good and moreover the minis don't fall apart like the weak little swords and spears on pewder minis. There's still something about the weight of a pewder mini that makes me smile but Bones aren't bad at all. 

I also just discovered Warlord and it seems like it suffered from simply being ahead of it's time.

Since Reaper has so much experience with kickstarter it seems like there's a grand slam to be made by making the next Bones kickstarter a complete Warlord overhaul. The rules seem generally well respected. The board gamers I talk to who know what it is seem to like it.

-Republish a 3rd edition manual fully corrected and errata free.
-Rework the entire Warlord offering in Bones (Maybe alter the poses so the pewter minis remain a premium offering)
-Offer Faction Card Packs for stats (they're built for this anyway). A little fancy artwork would go a long way.
-Offer a reward level that includes reaper branded accessories. Tape measure, terrain, dice, tokens, etc.
-Stretchgoal a few new factions or simply complete the ones that were started and never finished.
-Offer a Bones set to a Youtuber to make a step-by-step quick-play tutorial in return so that new users can watch a comprehensive and better organized tutorial. Hell make it a contest for a full set of Bones Warlord minis!
-Stretchgoal a revamped army builder. (Consider open sourcing such a site so the community can run it, update it, and so on free of cost for reaper.)
-Stretchgoal or consider licensing the rules and IP up to a mobile developer to make a mobile video game version. Tie the sale of individual minis to an unlock in the mobile game.
-Stretchgoal licensing the IP to a writer to reboot the novella series. 
-Stretchgoal a set of SRD20 RPG rules so that large battles are fought with warlord rules and in between large battles there is an RPG element. In this one move you double the value of ALL of your Fantasy-based minis. Retain publishing rights on the rulebook and license out the use if the IP for writers interested in publishing written modules for the RPG portion but allow the rules to be accessed similar to pathfinder. Maybe over the same Open Source site as the army builder or whatever.

The community gets to see a beloved game rebooted and reinvigorated now properly placed among the boardgame hype of the past 10 years.
Reaper reboots a product that will generate sales from multiple angles. Warlord players will build armies, Fantasy RPG players may just like the minis, Mobile Gamers would want to unlock digital figures.

Edited by attrezzop

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm.

Reaper has no plans at this time to launch a Warlord Kickstarter. 

As posts like this tend to evolve into rampant speculation and wild rumors that we prefer to not feed, this thread is going to be closed.

• Like 1