Zink

Any elf catapults available anywhere?

6 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Maybe find something that looks approximately like 28mm scale timber and kitbash one? 

This is what I'm thinking of doing for an elf catapult. I've got a design idea in my head but need to find some usable materials. My current junk pile isn't giving me suitable timbers and I'm thinking the mdf sheets I have won't work well if I try sawing them that thin.

• Like 1

What about getting a generic catapult model and "elfing" it up? 

I mean, the basic structure is going to be the same for the function, but a bunch of details added to it could make it look elven.  Kitbash from plastic elves and other sources, and a bit of green stuff. 

• Like 1

Or cast one yourself

Prince August, crew is from the Orc moulds, but you can add any crew you like.

I used to have this...

25mm Scale Catapult Double Moulds

image.png.61bf7a21d79b5d886171648f5305998b.png

• Like 1

I was thinking about that too. I need to look for plastic catapults because they should be cheaper and easier to modify. What I'm thinking of is something similar to the man mangler in style but with the "bow" arms looking more like the repeater bolt thrower arms. And then pretty up the front some to give it elvish lines.

@PaganMegan, I stumbled across a man mangler for sale on ebay for $29. It's badly painted and missing 2 crew but otherwise looks ok if you're interested.

• Like 1

do you have the ability to sketch what you have in mind? 

Reading through this has me wondering now if I have the skill to do something with Fusion 360 and/or my 3d Printer has the ability. 

I can try but my drawing skills are terrible. Might be able to give you an idea to work with. Not entirely sure of what to do in place of the face on the front but real onagers didn't have anything there anyhow. I'll try to sketch something later today.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zink said:

I can try but my drawing skills are terrible. Might be able to give you an idea to work with. Not entirely sure of what to do in place of the face on the front but real onagers didn't have anything there anyhow. I'll try to sketch something later today.

Grump has a PDF one he printed up and put together.

I don't know where he got it, but you may want to look online for a free PDF.

• Like 2

@kristof65, that's very similar in basic design to what I was thinking minus the need for it to actually shoot. Just would want to try and make it look more high elven.

• Like 1

Did a little scribbling today and came to the realisation that my main modification to any onager/catapult would be give it thick recurved bow arms shaped liked the old repeater bolt thrower. That and maybe add some wings or eagle head motifs in spots. I'd want it to be as sleek and delicate as possible for a catapult. Some thing similar to this except with a square frame and catapult arm and basket.

Image result for top down view ballista

Or  similar this elfed up.

55quyu.jpg

• Like 3

Let me see what I can come up with. I'm pretty sure I can draw something with a basic elven looking frame (no fancy details), but I'm unsure about being able to actually print it. 

ETA: What approximate dimensions would you be looking for?

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The bow part about 3" wide, frame 1.5" wide by 2" and with the basket arm roughly 3" long. Basically looking for something that will fit on a 3" square base without too much overhang of the bow and basket arms. A 3d printer is high on my wish list but I don't know when I'll get one. Keep spending my hobby budget on more minis and other supplies.

• Like 1

I'm equal opportunity. I'll let my armies hurl anybody through the air.

• Like 2