buglips*the*goblin

Roots of the Hobby

We also have a Dutch website who sells scenery and paints, they always include a tool with an order.

As a result I have a whole lot of exacto knives with their name on it.

I will put some in the next BOGW.

• Like 7

Which German store is adding candy to their shipments?

(Not that I'm unsatisfied with the candy regularly appearing from england... Variety is the spice of life and all that)

All the best businesses started out as hobbies because they were started by someone who was passionate about something. The reason they are still around is that they also had access to someone who could do the numbers.

• Like 4

Due to forum rules I can't give you the link.

But if you search for Battlefield and add Berlin to that you will find it..

I usually get some winegums or cola gums when I order.

• Like 3

I'd order from EU businesses all the time if they put EU Haribo gummy bears in the shipment. They taste soooo much better than the American version...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

And suddenly all the European mini stores added 'Haribo gummy bears' to their inventory...

@Lovejoy will you be the first? or will Hasslefree beat you to it?

Edited by Gadgetman!
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, malefactus said:

Dark Sword normally includes a miniature or sometimes two with their orders as well. I haven't found a use for the paint I sometimes get from Reaper, although I appreciate the thought.

You are missing one thing with the comparisons to miniature makers now & back then. Folks like Marcus Hinton (that doesn't look like Marcus in the video by the way) were guys who were working out of a back room in their homes.

The only manufacturers were toy soldier makers like Mignot & Britains Ltd. with a few guys like Jack Scruby selling unpainted wargames miniature in a variety of scales.It is a whole different world now than it was then.

"Back in the day" it was all hobbyists sharing their passion with similar minded folk.

Sort of a parallel track to the model train and model airplane hobbies before WWII.

If you weren't plugged in to the network of people who "knew somebody who knew somebody" then you probably weren't even aware that such a hobby activity existed.  Word of mouth was the way information was passed, then fan generated newsletters, then it hit critical mass.

GEM

• Like 3

The two fellows that popularized war games or started to, at any rate, were Donald Featherstone in Great Britain & Jack Scruby over here.

Wargamer's Newsletter (D.F.) & War Games Digest (J.S.) were the first "magazines" on the subject that I saw. There seemed to be a paranoia

about being accused of playing with toy soldiers. Collector were just eccentrics.

Featherstone's War Games. Were the first  published rules that I played (1965).

Donald_Featherstone_(wargamer).jpg

We played his Horse & Musket Rules until the group switched to Vietmeyer's Column, Line, & Square.

I was 15 when I first caught the bug. I didn't much care what my peers thought about the game & the toy soldiers...I still don't

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, malefactus said:

The two fellows that popularized war games or started to, at any rate, were Donald Featherstone in Great Britain & Jack Scruby over here.

Wargamer's Newsletter (D.F.) & War Games Digest (J.S.) were the first "magazines" on the subject that I saw. There seemed to be a paranoia

about being accused of playing with toy soldiers. Collector were just eccentrics.

Featherstone's War Games. Were the first  published rules that I played (1965).

Donald_Featherstone_(wargamer).jpg

We played his Horse & Musket Rules until the group switched to Vietmeyer's Column, Line, & Square.

I was 15 when I first caught the bug. I didn't much care what my peers thought about the game & the toy soldiers...I still don't

I couldn't agree more!

• Like 6

I met Mr. Featherstone at Gen Con one year in the late eighties. He was one of the guests of honor and I was helping run the miniatures room with Bob Bigelow. We bought him a drink or two and chatted. I was into Warhammer and SFB at the time so he and I didn't have much of a conversation. He and Bob talked for an hour or so. Nice guy, though.

• Like 7

Bit of trivia:

Donald Featherstone was the British Wargamer through whose efforts Wargaming became a popular hobby activity.

Don Featherstone the American Artist designed and popularized the [now iconic] plastic pink flamingo.

Both men have been a significant influence on modern western culture.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 2/15/2018 at 12:17 PM, Chaoswolf said:

Does woad count as a uniform?::D::devil::ik_oops:

woad.jpg.700c6472721ab67f98227c7ffcd245b4.jpg

On the woad again...
I just can't wait to put on the woad again...
My idea of fun is bashing Romans with my friends,
And I'm itching to put on the woad again...

On the woad again,
Like a band of Celtoids we go down Watling Street...
Stomping any handy Roman that we meet,
It's terrific to be wearing woad again!

On the woad again!
Spreading terror by the load again,
Riding down the Roman road again,
Thank the Gods I'm wearing woad again!

The Auld Grump

Who really wishes that he remembered where he picked that piece of filk up....

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

On the woad again...
I just can't wait to put on the woad again...
My idea of fun is bashing Romans with my friends,
And I'm itching to put on the woad again...

On the woad again,
Like a band of Celtoids we go down Watling Street...
Stomping any handy Roman that we meet,
It's terrific to be wearing woad again!

On the woad again!
Spreading terror by the load again,
Riding down the Roman road again,
Thank the Gods I'm wearing woad again!

The Auld Grump

Who really wishes that he remembered where he picked that piece of filk up....

there you go @Chaoswolf....

now you HAVE to do it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5