WhiteWulfe

Furiously Fluffy Howling Hounds, WhiteWulfe paints gnolls, minotaurs, and more! (probably pic intensive)

Okay, I couldn't really resist the silly title that had a touch of alliteration...  Guess it's a thing for me or something.  Anyways, I figured I'd want to do up a long-term WIP thread featuring a themed army that has the goal of being made mostly of Reaper miniatures...  That and hey, I like gnolls and minotaurs, so... Why no!  Not quite certain what the precise theme is just yet, but we'll roll with "spots and stripes are awesome, as is a love for axes and mythology in general" as the starter of it all.  Initially, this army will be made mostly (if not all) with Bones figures, but eventually metal minis will find their way in.  Bones are rather convenient with their pricing, and there is a wide selection on offer!

It's also something to paint other than my various Games Workshop armies (Tau, Catachans, a scattered amount of Space Marines, a few Tyranids (for now), Skaven, as well as (fantasy) Orcs, although I have nowhere near as many greenskins), and my main focus is purely on fun, with fluff to come as things go.  That and I very much so plan on spending a good amount of time on each mini, not just for detail, but to improve my own skills in general.  One could potentially argue that I intend on making these guys more of my "showpieces", which is something I don't mind the thought of at all ^_^

I like how @Glitterwolf formats their posts, so...  I'm thiefing parts of it, as it's a nice formatting, and of course provides a reasonable amount of detail for it all, so why not ^_^:wub:

Pictures were taken with my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) because at the time I didn't quite feel like messing around with my G85 - or something to that effect ~_^

Spoiler

Reality: phone was closer, and being somewhat tired with the desire to paint, I didn't want to have to constantly fiddle with power switches and lens caps.

5a84f373c379c_Firstthree.jpg.9db5c36460fd0f111197243ba93f4d45.jpg

First and foremost, we have double trouble with a handsome hunk, I mean a minotaur who means business!  77012 Gnoll Warrior, 77013 Minotaur, and 77236 Bloodmane.  White bones doesn't quite look appropriate in my eyes as it's "naked", so let's fix that...

5a84f3714fcda_77012GnollWarriorprimed.jpg.dc8db98a5354b7db3b907e46ce7572a9.jpg5a84f372a90d4_77236Bloodmaneprimered.jpg.fa29281a11a1c2c3e00435c0a9e7cffa.jpg

^Both gnolls now have primer on them...  And of course the couple of mold lines I missed are blatantly visible... Not that I mind, it's always nice to find them NOW other than a few hours into things...

I'm planning on going somewhat darker for their fur, hence why the medium-ish grey priming job.

Paint used:

09108 Brush-on Primer

09065 Grey Liner

Two parts primer, three parts grey liner, one drop of water to improve flow.

5a84f371e2c91_77013Minotaur.jpg.e30fe2220b46ea958d782fa9232a26a9.jpg

^Not to be outdone, our fearless minotaur jumps into the fray as well, although somewhat lighter than the gnolls.  Something about how a fox is thinking about going with a more "traditional" medium brown.  Would have used brown liner, but, uhm, don't have that, so grey liner it is.

Paint used:

09108 Brush-on Primer

09065 Grey Liner

Three parts primer, two parts grey liner, one drop of water to improve flow.

5a84f37334493_77376MinotaurDemonLord.jpg.77e82e5f8873398ad28418e8c9e7e8b8.jpg

^And since I just had to have him on my last order, here we have most of what I'll call our first leader, or even general of it all, 77376 Minotaur Demon Lord, partially test-fit.  I ran out of time to get the mold lines on the other six parts, but I'll be working on that today.  Goal is to have him assembled today, and quite possibly primered as well.  I'm not quite certain as to precisely what colour I'll be going with on him, but for some reason an almost "aflame" reddish-coppery-orange with hints of brown in it come to mind.

Minotaur Demon Lord unassembled.jpg

• Like 10

Didn't get any painting done tonight, but....  He's assembled!

5a8510a7a1e38_MinotaurDemonLordWeaponSide.thumb.jpg.80d68891d2549f444c6bc3109742d61e.jpg

5a8510a6ce387_MinotaurDemonLordBackside.thumb.jpg.92377674d23abef8657999134edb5111.jpg

^Obviously he isn't that yellow in person...  I totally forgot to change the white balance on my camera, and since we use warm lights in the house because I'm photosensitive (eyes are rather sensitive to light) said lightbulbs tend to give off a yellowish hue... Doubly so when half of said light has yellow post-it notes taped along the one side to prevent light from going directly into my eyes (but it lets me paint for a few hours, and use it for minor details I could miss in the much darker living room's regular lighting).

5a8510a8611f7_Oddballphotosetup.jpg.dc2101258f5d35286b0b20fa4d04cce4.jpg

^I also decided to try and make a mocked-up platform to lift him up closer towards the light...  It partially worked.  Cutting mat on top of my "main/whatever/unsorted" bits box on top of one of the LTPK cases.  Hey, it gets "more" light out of that IKEA bulb, at least onto the subject I'm photographing.  I'll have to see about tweaking it further as I go, but I like the results more than I did with the mini on my desk by itself.  Just really REALLY need to make sure I've checked my white balance before taking pics >.>;;;;

• Like 11

Woohooo!!!

Since you paint a lot of Bones, look at the thread about the first steps about painting Bones.

It has tips about prepping and priming.

I noticed you used Sku numbers in your tags, these are great for single WIP or Show Off, but if you're going to do a ongoing WIP with more minis you might want to use more general descriptions?

Searching for a theme?

It seems you like beastmen/ anthropomorphics and such.

So Furry Forces of Doom or something like that come to mind...

I'll be following this, I love to see other people's work.

Have a lot of fun with these!!

And don't forget to give each finished critter it's own show off ( use Sku name and a nice description, link to this WIP for coherency)

You could also make terrain and stuff as unit fillers or for fun.

Beasts...

So herdstones, raiding party, burning hut, abandoned carts being looted etc etc.

Or forests, little animals running around, ruins etc..

HAVE FUN!!!

I painted some Beastman Busts a while ago, Maybe this can help you about painting fur, spots etc.

I'm not the best painter on this forum, but maybe it helps.

There are other people who did stuff like this as well, look into that for tips and inspiration.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65484-legendarion-hyena-warrior-bust-gebhuza-by-xherman1964/?hl=bust

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/68366-tuma-windrider-lion-bust-by-xherman1964/?hl=bust

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/76396-shaâ-un-ram-tribe-warrior-bust-by-glitterwolf/

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Woohooo!!!

Since you paint a lot of Bones, look at the thread about the first steps about painting Bones.

It has tips about prepping and priming.

I noticed you used Sku numbers in your tags, these are great for single WIP or Show Off, but if you're going to do a ongoing WIP with more minis you might want to use more general descriptions?

I definitely agree, that thread about priming bones was rather valuable - it's the main reason why I picked up the liner in the first place ^_^  It's also rather handy that the two main primers for bones can be mixed!

As for the SKU's, that definitely makes sense...  It would become rather chaotic after a month or two.  Odds are I'll keep a running tally in the first post or something.

Searching for a theme?

It seems you like beastmen/ anthropomorphics and such.

So Furry Forces of Doom or something like that come to mind...

Minotaurs and hyenas/gnolls are...  Yeah, I like them, that's a way of putting it ^_^  A lot of the beastmen sculpts are fairly nice too, so I figured they'd be added in as well (doubly so since I already have one that was picked up for another purpose, but fingers were too big to attempt such on that model).

I see you've already picked up on the whole "of doom" thing I tend to do, and I've only said it a few times here on the forums *laughs nervously*.  I have, in the past, called a stew I've made an "of doom" variant.  It was tasty.  It was silly.  It had three types of meat in it - 6-7lbs of meat in a medium sized crock pot makes life... Interesting, lol

I'll be following this, I love to see other people's work.

Have a lot of fun with these!!

And don't forget to give each finished critter it's own show off ( use Sku name and a nice description, link to this WIP for coherency)

Fun is definitely one of the main plans!

You could also make terrain and stuff as unit fillers or for fun.

Beasts...

So herdstones, raiding party, burning hut, abandoned carts being looted etc etc.

Or forests, little animals running around, ruins etc..

Hmmm, raiding party...  Why do I suddenly have this crazy idea of the Minotaur Demon Lord at the most likely of places.... A '50's themed malt shop? :wub:  Yeah, not quite the kind of raid others were expecting, I know ::P:

HAVE FUN!!!

I painted some Beastman Busts a while ago, Maybe this can help you about painting fur, spots etc.

I'm not the best painter on this forum, but maybe it helps.

There are other people who did stuff like this as well, look into that for tips and inspiration.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65484-legendarion-hyena-warrior-bust-gebhuza-by-xherman1964/?hl=bust

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/68366-tuma-windrider-lion-bust-by-xherman1964/?hl=bust

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/76396-shaâ-un-ram-tribe-warrior-bust-by-glitterwolf/

OOoooooooooh, those are lovely to say the least...  While pulling those busts up, I also found out about a bunch from Cadwallon that could very well fit my theme...  I'll definitely look further into the threads you linked once the coffee kicks in ^_^

• Like 1

And for tags.,..you can only add 10 maximum.

I'm looking forward to see how you handle this all.

As for painting spots and stripes in fur.

Look at the WIP for the Hyena Bust.

Most people paint them on the fur and that's it.

If you want them to look more natural.

Paint fur.

Paint spots/stripes

Then glaze over it with the fur colour ( glaze is almost as thin as water with a hint of colour)

Leave to dry and repeat till you got the desired effect.

This also applies for tattoos on skin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I haven't had any more painting or assembling progress on these guys since we kind of spent this past long weekend out and about pretty much most of the entire weekend, but I do have a few more friends joining the current selection....

Previously ordered, but not photographed yet:

14381: Nefsokar Devourer of Ammat
14390: Anubis Guard
77254: Beastman Champion
77473: Kogo, Male Kitsune
77501: Minotaur

Ordered this past weekend:

02467: Gnoll Marauders

02955: Krokuta, Gnoll Cleric
03801: Kogo, Male Kitsune

03802: Dijoro, Female Kitsune

14597: Toghra the Despoiler Gnoll Warlord
14611: Gnoll Reaver of Kargir

I don't quite know what my plan is with two Kogo's, but I'm sure I'll work something out.  Seems my transition to metal minis is happening sooner, predominately due to there being more fur texture on them ^_^;;;

Hoping to have a "proper" update over the next few days, although there won't be quite as much painting between now and probably Friday due to re-arranging the living room, and especially around our desks...  Finally have a proper painting area, wooooHOOOOOOO!!!  Okay, so it's a shared space between myself and hubby, and won't always have miniature stuff there (it might have magic cards, board games, a chess set, etc) but still. ^_^

• Like 5

Somewhat large update today, even if I haven't really done all that much with these guys up until the middle of this week give or take...  Been busy with various things, especially a week of vacation that we spent out of the house more than we did in it ^_^;;;

20180323_125328_CROPPED.thumb.jpg.f1162d94383f00d0174c0b8fd2180c42.jpg

^First and foremost, an overview of some of the new recruits, although some are still in their packages

20180323_134642.thumb.jpg.2d1f8cba74056925bc0f459e4b55ad2b.jpg

^Let's get them out of their cages...  And then clean them up.  Some of them had certain things cleaned up even more, like the two Bones minis which I intend on giving their own nicely textured base...  Even if at the moment I can't quite decide what that might be.  Minotaur though, has had most of his old base chopped up so I can make it seem like he's on an ancient, broken temple kind of deal.

20180323_131214.thumb.jpg.44249eb33bc1cba04340070dfb025f44.jpg20180323_131228.thumb.jpg.391921b61657924aa595402f2f49919e.jpg

^Toghra comes with a square 50mm base, but it's a flat topped one, and I prefer circular anyways, so...  Figured I'd give a 40mm one a try, since that's a size I have...  Just doesn't seem to fit, it's too small.  Also, I apparently mixed up his arms.  Good thing it was with blu-tac instead of glue! ^_^;;;;

20180323_131413.thumb.jpg.cae87e3b1910c946b2dfcab5f6ff3535.jpg20180323_131416.thumb.jpg.3267cc28f2c8168477be348b52b719b5.jpg

^Much better with a 60mm.  I'll have to figure out some sort of basing for him...  Main idea at the moment is some sort of broken ground, quite possibly use of cork rubble alongside sand and my small bricks roller to imply an ancient, lost city or temple... Or such.  Arms are still mixed up in these shots because I hadn't caught on when I took them ^_^;;;;;  Oh, and quite possibly a dead and battered opponent or two, uncertain whether it would be stripped to the bones or a more recent death.  I'll have to think on it.

Catching up to how things look at the moment....

20180324_154956.thumb.jpg.600e1a742394158e201c4533dae3ed9b.jpg

^My Gnoll Reaver of Krgir as he currently stands.  Plan is to have him looking like he's close to the top of a valley, or a vantage point, looking down over potential prey...  Be it a convoy, an unsuspecting adventurer/traveller, or a town.  True, the circular 60mm base is probably overkill, doubly so since he comes with a 25mm square but since I have no intentions of playing him in any particular game this isn't an issue.  Sure, I did have intentions on getting into Warlord earlier this year, but the more I look at it the more it's a case of "I'm already involved in enough games" (2x 40k armies (Catachans, and T'au), at least one Fantasy army (Skaven), Blood Bowl (and quite possibly 2-4 teams), Mordheim (if it kicks up again, if not, old rules Mordheim), Necromunda is on the "maybe" list, Hordes, Warmachine is on the "probably likely" list, and then there's Dropzone Commander as well as Infinity that come across as being rather interesting), but I suspect knowing me I'll pick up the rules anyways.  Nothing says I can create a small warband for it anyways, and it's semi-obvious to me who I'd go with in that game anwyays (Koborlas or Nefsokar), aaaand most of those minis are not only nice, but inexpensive too as well as being ones I'm not looking at for this particular army anyways (doubly so if I went Nefsokar).  And you don't need that many minis, so if I had to pick up doubles, it could be done.  Aka I say "eh, might not get into it" but know that very well I could wind up getting into it anyways, even if I don't play.

I'm also thinking, for some reason, of having a few scattered bones along the cliff/valley/hill he's on, as if they were territory markers, or a warning to others...

20180324_155019.thumb.jpg.7f42a76a872e93775bffc3055bb2cca0.jpg

^Here we have, uhm...  Which minotaur again?  Oh right, 77501.  As previously mentioned, he was debased, had the old parts roughed up to look like broken stone, and will more than likely wind up with a base that looks like he's wandering through an ancient temple of some kind that has seen much better days...

20180324_155038.thumb.jpg.c2abbbf76a4df4292ef3b086dc52d0f8.jpg

^ 77464 Werewolf.  I'm unable to resist the urge to have it looking like he's on the edge of a pointed cliff howling, or sniffing for prey, so...  That's probably exactly how he's going to be based ^_^;;;;

20180324_155103.thumb.jpg.384b1f19274324d08b5615db98e0213f.jpg

^Oh look, troublemakers, also known as 02467 Gnoll Marauders.  They're noticeably scrawnier than the later gnoll that I have, but that isn't going to stop me, and their goofy "up to no good" expressions are also bringing up a short list of possible names for them.  Only problem is the pairing of names I'm contemplating won't pan out as easily, since one isn't somewhat big and wears sunglasses, while the other one doesn't have spiky red hair. (Rude and Reno, whom I thought had different names.  Those two names don't quite seem to fit these two).

Not quite certain what their bases will be filled in with just yet, although it's going to cover up those broccoli bases (sorry Buglips, they aren't my thing).

20180324_155118.thumb.jpg.0bf0a0b57f44893c619feee3caa56b19.jpg20180324_155128.thumb.jpg.c92e70c689167d9f175d4a440fd65188.jpg

^Ahhhh, as some would describe her, the loving and caring "I WILL SO SMASH YOUR FACE IN!!!" Krokuta.  02955 from Reaper, naturally.  I wound up posing the mace in an emulation of as if she had just started swinging it, but we'll see if I don't wind up tweaking it somewhat.  I kind of like it as is, but feel it could be posed somewhat better.  I'm feeling a kind of "broken earth" pattern to what she's on for a base, and while I could have just used one of the stamps hubby chose (Happy Seppuku Broken Earth to be precise) I'm seriously thinking I'll try and sculpt out some of my own to sort of match. ^_^

I'll also say this:  Female minis don't generally appeal to me, but there are some that totally fit into the theme, and I also rather like, and I'm not going to exclude them just because they don't have rippling biceps.  In short, expect the occasional female mini to sneak it's way in simply because I like the sculpt/expression/posing/etc - there are some Oathsworn Heroines in Sensible Shoes that will eventually be making their way into this army, for example.

20180324_155148.thumb.jpg.b8ea07f3070cce5856d098b666a8ad71.jpg

^Given that this is a fluffy army, one always needs those who are craftier about this and that, and so we have this lovely pair of kitsunes.  Someone has to be the pretty face to the baker if they want cookies, after all.  One can't always just barge in with an army and raid the place...

A certain glittery one might notice that there's a much higher percentage of metal miniatures in this update, compared to bones, and there's a good reason for such, a few even.  First and foremost, some of the models I want are only available in metal.  Secondly, the ones that I've picked out were only a few dollars more to get in metal.  Third, the metal figures have noticeably more detail when it comes to fur textures, although the newer bones miniatures are definitely catching up.  Does this mean I'll be going mostly metal with my purchases in the future?  It all depends on my plans for them, and price differences, but I strongly suspect that even the more expensive ones like the metal version 77013 Minotaur is based off of (02964 Cretus, Minotaur, which is $13.50 USD more expensive, or for comparison, you can buy 4.87x of the Bones version with the same amount of money) will eventually be replaced with metal.  There are also some minis that seem to only be in Bones, or I prefer the posing of the Bones minis.

That's it for now...  I might have more tonight, but first I'm headed out to go and get some white glue because for some strange reason I don't have any at all on hand, and it's kind of hard to glue cork to things without such (I'm so not risking superglue)...

• Like 8

Haven't done too too much since the last update due to us being short two delivery drivers for most of the week, and we're now down to one (one of the guys left the company I work for).  There's also been a decent amount of getting out of the house, and more of that will be happening tomorrow as we probably raid Ikea for ideas... 

So the axe wielder with my 02467 Gnoll Marauders wound up having a bent, and slightly broken axe shaft just above his hands, and I decided I was going to fix such before going any further.  I would have gotten more work done in the hour or so I was doing things, but I wound up paying a lot more attention to the "background" movie I put on (Guardians of the Galaxy) than I did hobbying, but that's life...  So basing, and some priming didn't happen.  Oh well, I'll do more work on bases next go around, plus some actual painting. 

20180330_233120.thumb.jpg.05abe5b570d8aef58e48818533fbff8b.jpg

^So obviously, I had to rock the shaft a few times, and it broke fairly cleanly, then took my triangular file to it since I misplaced my flat one.  A bunch of taking my time with the hand drill and a 1mm bit, AAAND we got here.  I kind of liked the almost light saber-esque look, but this is fantasy, so onwards we go. 

20180331_001101.thumb.jpg.f90e69601f7cf673b01e694bbdd8997e.jpg

^Okay, I wasn't perfect with the gap, and I'll have to fill it, but at least I know for certain the axe shaft won't fall off while being handled as that rod was cut to size, and then everything superglue together.  Sure took a long time, and man was I nervous about drilling the shaft though, since the drill bit was just slightly thinner than the shaft itself... 

Man these two are scrawny compared to the other, newer ones but that's life, and I don't mind.  Scrawny scrappers are the ones you want to watch out for because man oh man they're quick... 

• Like 5

I agree!

And don't worry about the size difference, they're the younger ones.:poke:

• Like 2

I wanted to give cork basing a shot, and figured a smaller mini would be a better start than going straight for larger ones, so after some cork sheets and some of the rolled cork, I went for a rough, basic looking cliff edge for the werewolf....

5ac227e70b9b9_Werewolfbase1.thumb.jpg.e78962f9645a3efd03acf2fd4b980584.jpg5ac227e8f3375_Werewolfbase2.thumb.jpg.87b5f1ccfc7f5e296f1a7f6bf03690b9.jpg

5ac227eaed934_Werewolfbase3.thumb.jpg.7903acce6ad48a206fa6d89f31d1c5ba.jpg

Apologies for the blurryness, was going for quick snapshots of things.  I'll take better pictures tonight.  I wanted to have his arm hanging off the front edge, but then he's looking in a totally weird direction, but naturally I'll play around with possible poses for him before sinking those pins into the cork and gluing him in place...  And of course rough up the "cliffside" so that it looks a lot more natural, and doesn't have those blatantly obvious transitions between each sheet ^_^;;;

Also, Gorilla Wood Glue definitely isn't the best stuff to use with cork, as it takes 20 minutes to set.  Probably going to follow the recommendation of others and pick up some Tacky Glue soon, since that definitely sets a LOT faster ^_^

• Like 6

Today I'm going to start this by saying the following: Sometimes an experiment works.  Other times it doesn't..  And then you occasionally get the odd one that you're curious as to how it will turn out, since things are still drying...

So last I left off, mister werewolf (still contemplating some sort of name for him) had a rough and ragged outlook of what his base would look like...  Cue needle nosed pliers.

Please excuse the somewhat rough crops, I wanted to tame the images down at least somewhat in size, and of course was in somewhat of a hurry (I'm really, REALLY tired now and want to go to bed, but also REALLY wanted to post an update...)

P1000844.thumb.JPG.884f4d4ed09e5b9714b2ad17737bfe72.JPGP1000848.thumb.JPG.b97627104e08d9a7af46a80e060ab91d.JPG

^Twenty minutes or so later, we had this.  Looked nice, still had some gaps and whatnot, but I was happy with it, and so decided to move onwards.

Thinking some of the basing materials I had purchased were synthetic sand, I then created some watered down wood glue (which was too watered down at first, so I had to add more), and got it all over.  Okay, so far so good...  Then I reached for what the vendor called fine sand, and... guess what, it's... Actually sand!    As anyone who's been to a beach might know, sand sucks up water rather well, and becomes an intersting thing to play with that occasionally cooperates.  Oops.... Or maybe not?

P1000853.thumb.JPG.74244a38b35555c3a226c596175cebe0.JPGP1000854.thumb.JPG.e60923f8f4dfb2c49be61bd52e8a492e.JPG

^Well now, this is...  An interesting turn.  Not quite certain on where my thoughts fall, but since it's still drying I'm going to let it do precisely that, and then come back to it.  I was kind of hoping to keep most of the texture from the cork, but on the flipside, I do have to say this.  I've already made it somewhat apparent that I plan on having most of my guys based as if they were hiding out in Southern Alberta's badlands (which also extend into Saskatchewan), and a LOT of the landscape in that area just so happens to be comprised primarily of, you guessed it, sedimentary rock.  Whatever that is.  Which could be mimicked with sand, or so I think ^_^;;;

I suspect that if I like the texture, I'll wind up having to brush another layer or two of thinned glue over the sand in order to ensure it stays right where it is, and doesn't slowly fall off over time.

I've also decided that I'm going to find a way to pop his head off, and then roll it back somewhat so it looks like it's either a howl, or a good sniff of the air.  His current pose stance feels a tad too herp derp to me at the moment.

• Like 6