Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Here are my two kitsune figures, painted at last!
These two are available in Dark Heaven Legends as 03801 Kogo (him) and 03802 Dijoro (her). In Bones, they are 77473 and 77474. I painted the metal versions.
Pathfinder has rules for kitsune and tengu characters, and they have been legal in Pathfinder Society for a couple of years, so I wanted Reaper to have miniatures available to those players.
I sculpted these two in late 2015 (wow, that long ago?!). They were in the "Eastern Legends" stretch-goal of the Bones 3 Kickstarter, along with my 3 tengu figures and Tre Manor's oni.
You can search for the keyword "tengu" to find my painted examples here in the Show-Off forum.
And here is a link to my Show-Off thread of my conversion of an elf to a kitsune.
I had chosen these general colors (green/teal for him, and pink/purple for her) at least a year ago, but not the details.
I've spent 20+ hours on each of the two, including prep, priming, image-searches, painting, a few rounds of photos and touchups, and now this post. I had intended to give them quick-but-clean paint jobs (not more than 10 hours each), but the hours added up with the detailed patterns and freehand, the custom "Japanese garden" bases (his Zen garden of stones and raked gravel, and her stone and lantern), and repainting both figures' bladed weapons with simpler smooth gradients (over a very busy small-brushstroke effect the first time).
I sculpted their clothes relatively simply, so you can paint them with smooth blends or give them intricate freehand patterns. I did an online image-search for "Japanese fabric patterns" and used a few that I liked most.
The color and pattern of his shirt are inspired by a piece of celadon pottery with a network of fine cracks in its glaze.
I expected to paint his sake bottle and cup in a lighter color (white or celadon green), but the rusty red worked better in the composition. I did an image-search for "red glazed sake cups" to assure myself of a real-world precedent.
A few more notes and details:
What's with her pose? I intended her to be drawing a hidden knife from her bodice, though I think I sculpted it a little too well-hidden. Her expression is devious on the right side but fake-afraid on the left. Nevermind the naginata in plain sight, it's the hidden knife that her opponent should fear!...
I asked ReaperRon (art director) whether a female kitsune should have humanlike hair to be more obviously feminine, and sketched a few options. He preferred this one with the long flowing hair.
I painted it with a transition from orange to dark brown so there wouldn't be an obvious hairline.
I like the accidental color on his haramaki ("belly-warmer" armor) -- I couldn't decide whether to paint it green, blue, purple, or brown, and the multiple layers of paint combined in an interesting way.
I need to call them done and move on to other projects.
in an effort to like....actually not have 300 minis to paint by the time Bones 4 AND the critical role minis all hit me next year, I’ve decided to paint three a week, and always have a bigger work in progress going. This week I picked some low hanging fruit so I actually did more than that.
The ice troll was my bigger monster this week.
Air elemental i wanted to look like it was sorta tearing up the earth beneath ala a tornado....
enjoy! C&C welcome!
Sure, I definitely feel like I already have enough WIP threads going, but at the same time hubby did ask me to work on this one for him, so why not. For some reason I was rather excited he asked me to paint her for him (he's painting the rest of his Circle Orboros Battlegroup Box (PIP 72094))... I blame her cape. It's a rather interesting looking one, filled with all sorts of details. Staff is quite nice too
^So here is where things start. Yup, it isn't the prettiest of jobs for gluing, especially where that staff meets the shoulder. It just wouldn't stick when I put it together, and I think at the time I didn't have my pinning stuff yet. Could be wrong, but for now that's the story I'm sticking with!
^While it was tempting to try and sculpt something, given she's already glued down, I figured I'd use a mix I had made up ages ago of various grades of what I think was Woodland Scenics ballast because it's quick, easy, convenient, and the grains are all sized slightly differently.... And that add a bit more later on, be it rocks and/or various bushes or whatever.
Right off the bat I'm going to say this: I so didn't get all of the seams, and I'm more or less okay with such. Sadly, a lot of them are in really odd places (who puts a seam in the middle of several cloak folds?)
^How things look now. Ahhh, Grey Liner, you're ever so useful it seems. It's pretty much become my go-to for priming, and I love how the colours seem to be somewhat different as they set along the various parts of the mini.
I do understand that having fully assembled her things will be difficult, but it was originally a mini hubby was going to paint, and he asked she be assembled... So I'm taking it as a challenge to undertake now, yes, let's go with that one! Going to be letting the liner dry and fully set/cure/whateverit'scalled and am hoping to spend a bit of time every night on her this week!
Who's Online 37 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Original Timmy
- Xiwo Xerase
- Knight of the Dinner Table
- Savage Coyote
- Chris Palmer
- Brother Jim
- Patrik Strom