Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
As I said on my Saproling's topic, I had today off, so... I decided that in addition to the saprolings, I'd knock out some tabletop quality ghouls. They were already assembled and primed, so the first thing was to paint the undead flesh. I used Vampire Shadow for their sickly skin. It didn't quite match the ghoul I'd painted before, but it was close enough. I sadly didn't always take good notes...
After that I decided that as these were primarily going to be gaming ghouls, and not for a unified force for Kings of War, they'd each get their own clothing color: Red, Green, Blue, Tan, and Dark Brown. I used Rusty Red, Muddy Olive, Rich Indigo, Desert Stone, and Ruddy Flesh. The eyes were all painted with Walnut Brown, as were the spikes sticking out of them.
Then I washed them all with a mix of 4 parts sepia wash and 1 part black wash.
A little bit of highlighting with the base clothing color, then it was time to paint the bases black, and then flock them! Oh, and a bit of watered down rusty red around the mouth.
Oh, and aged pewter on the spikes and the cleaver.
Looking good for such quick work.
By Patrik Strom
I recently (not really recently...) backed the new Blood Rage Digital kickstarter. I've had my eyes on the game for some time but didn't want to buy it without the plastic tokens, so when the kickstarter came along I jumped on board. While waiting for the extras I'm planning to buy the core game and get it painted. With one of the pieces being the Fire Giant I want to enhance the base with some fire effects (lava or the like). But I needed something to practice on. Balor became that something. Or the base at first. Then I just had to finish it. I had higher hopes when I started but I don't have the patience for lager miniatures, so I ended up cutting as many corners as I could. All and all it did end up better than I thought it would.
By Painting Miniatures
whoo this one took me 10 hours, likely because I am still new at this. Now, I know I could of just painted it as this pretty copper dragon and been happy with that. But this miniature is intended for a random encounter in a D&D campaign where the party encounters the dragon broken up into several dozen pieces then is encouraged to take it home with them and start trying to repair it. Thus the less than perfect paint job, the dirt so on so forth as the pieces are supposed to be dirty. I thought the wings turned out interesting with the black wash.
Everyone, meet Viridius.
He's a hefty boi. No Ma'al or Kalladrax, but still pretty big. He doesn't even fit in my light box, as you can see.
I've thought a long time about how I was going to paint him up, I don't think I'm going to go with the standard green dragon look. Instead I'm going to take my inspiration from the time of year, and make him an autumn forest dragon, whose coloration changes with the forest around him. So I'll be doing him in mostly golden yellows to oranges and reds, but keeping some greenish tones as the base of scales and other places, to kind of give a reminder of the verdent glory he was before.
One thing I'm choosing to see as an opportunity is that the tops of his wings are very smooth, ideal for some freehand work. The question is, what to do? Some kind of leaf like pattern, or perhaps a butterfly like eye pattern (in the leaf colors, of course)
Out of the box bag he was in pretty good shape. The usual mold line cleanup, though he has some gaps that will need to be filled. I followed up with reshaping the wings a little with some boiling water. I forgot to get a complete before picture, but below you can see the before and after for the right wing
I've had to fully assemble him, I don't like the way the wing joins look without greenstuff, so that's going to be the first order of business. So painting around the wings might be a chore, but it's nothing I haven't dealt with before (Although, not in recent history)
I begain the gapfill on the right side, but after sticking a finger in greenstuff twice and having to flip him back to touch up the texture, I decided to call it a night and do the left side gaps later.
I Don't have much to go on with this dragon. its another one that has been sitting half finished on my shelf forever. the bottom has some script on the bottom that looks like FWS and an 8. other than that I don't have any clue where it comes from.
but I finally dusted the mini off, freshened up the red (It was becoming a pink dragon) and decided to display it here. hope everyone enjoys!
Who's Online 24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 134 Guests (See full list)