Glitterwolf

Nippon, Land of the Rising Moon by Glitterwolf

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thx, I'm slowly gathering the stuff I need for the Backdrop Board we discussed.

These will help me with the Koi Pond.

I need a good piece of foam or Polysterene for the board and I'm waiting on an order of resin Japanese lanterns and stuff.

Shhh - Doz arrr sekrez and wery geheim

I thought we talked about it ...

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

This has to to with their history.

Peasants were actually not allowed to wear weapons, but the clever farmers adjusted some of their tools and practiced with those so they could defend themselves against bandits and ronin.

And got away with it because how many soldiers are going to admit to the boss that they got beat up by a guy with a hoe or some wheat threshers...

I like how the project is going.  Keep up the great work.  I can't wait to see the backdrop you have planned!

Edited by Kangaroorex
Auto-corrupt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

And got away with it because how many soldiers are going to admit to the boss that they got beat up by a guy with a hoe or some wheat threshers...

I like how the project is going.  Keep up the great work.  I can't wait to see the backdrop you have planned!

Thx!

As soon as I get all the things I need, I will start the WIP part of that board.

Sistermarynapalm has been very helpful with advice and reference pics.

All I can say for now is that it will be big and hopefully awesome...

As for the armies, I will include chinese and Mongolian troops for sure, mercenaries, adversaries, I want it all.

I have my eye on some of the Titan Forge Dragon Empire minis.

• Like 5

Arrival

Mayumi and Kaneko were unloading the ship as fast as they could, it was a good day in the harbor of Nagasaki, many merchant ships were waiting their turn to either load or unload goods.

The Sun was mild and although it was hard work it payed the bills.

Quickly they carried the boxes ashore where Ichiro waited with a cart to take them to the warehouse.

Suddenly there was some commotion, Ichiro stepped aside and they saw a group of heavily armed Samurai approaching.

Better get out of their way Ichiro whispered, if you offend one of them it could cost you your head.

Mayumi pretended not to look at the group but glanced from under his hat, he nodded at Kaneko and whispered, that's a Noble!

Kenmu Clan if I'm correct.

Mayumi quickly looked while the group passed them, you're right!

What are they doing here?

Ichiro whispered, Lord Kenmu is a powerful man, it has been said the Emperor himself is in awe of him, he might even become Shogun one day!

Mayumi nodded, Hai! You're right, but that is not Lord Kenmu himself, he is too young, I'll bet it is one of his sons!

Why would he be at the harbor?

Before they could discuss this further the Harbormaster passed by, GET TO WORK!

I'm not paying you to talk!

Ichiro bowed and the friends got back to work.

The Harbormaster picked up his step to catch up with the Samurai.

Lord Tsunemote! He said and bowed when Tsunemote turned to face him.

It is an honour to be of service My Lord!

Let me show you to the dock where the ship you're waiting for will arrive.

Tsunemote nodded slightly in approval, the Harbormaster cleared the way for the group of Samurai.

Workers were warned to step aside.

One of them was too slow and a Samurai kicked him, the worker fell, quickly got up and got out of the way, thanking his ancestors that the warrior hadn't kill him.

Here we are my Lord, the Harbormaster said.

She's arriving as we speak, he pointed at the Sea.

A Junk from Cathay with red sails was almost at the docks.

The Captain of the Junk looked over the railing and saw the Samurai.

You're contact is here! He said to his passengers.

Their leader took a look and handed the Captain a purse.

Thank you my friend, better not speak to anyone about this, do you understand?

The Captain nodded, he smiled when he felt the weight of the purse, this has never happened, he said.

After the ship docked, the plank was lowered and the passengers left the Junk.

Tsunemote saw the group coming ashore.

He estimated the leader being in his late thirties, dressed in silk a typical Chinese outfit for a noble or a scholar he thought.

Yet, he had some scars, this man knew how to fight!

He walked towards Tsunemote, surrounded by his entourage.

Tsunemote wondered, he counted a dozen men, or was that a young woman among them?

How strange!

Two of the men looked like monks. Not the normal kind but the fighting kind, Shaolin?

He was right, he thought when the group came closer, a young woman!

She carried weapons, this was unheard of!

A few other men looked like fighters, and two were real soldiers in full armor and armed with a qiang, the typical Chinese spear.

Tsunemote could feel how the presence of armed Chinese warriors on Japanese soil made the workers uneasy.

His Samurai were alert.

He stepped forward, he nodded as a greeting, Welcome Wu Gao! He said.

We will take you to an inn to freshen up, then we will travel to my father's Castle, he is anxious to meet you and your company!

Wu Gao bowed, an honour Lord Tsunemote!

I'm sure we will be able to help your father with his..he searched for the right word..situation..he said.

Tsunemote nodded, we will discuss this at the Castle, there are too many ears here!

Of course Wu Gao smiled.

We will follow you!

As the group left the harbor, Ichiro watched them, he turned to Mayumi and Kaneko.

Ghosthunters! He whispered, Mayumi frowned,  what? Are you mad?

Kaneko almost laughed out loud, where did you get that idea?

Ichiro shrugged, look at them! Priests, Warriors, led by a Wu!

Wu? Ichiro raised his hands in despair, do you know nothing? He asked.

He wanted to explain what a Wu was when the Harbor master interrupted them again.

Talking AGAIN? You will all receive half pay today! I will not tolerate this!

Angry, Kaneko and Mayumi resumed their work, refusing to talk to Ichiro again.

That fool had cost them half their wages with his stupid tales!

Ichiro made haste to return to his cart.

He knew he was right, he shook his head, what good would it do him?

They would need to work extra this week to make up for the lost pay.

Fool! That would teach him to gossip!

He looked at the strange group who were almost out of sight.

Why would Lord Kenmu need a group of Ghosthunters?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Yay! A new story!

Glad you like it.

There will be fewer stories in here than in my Lost World.

But every now and then there will be a chapter to introduce some minis or events.

Now all I need is more painting time.

• Like 3

Enjoying following this. Check out "Daisho" by Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare or "Ronin" by Osprey Games if you are looking for rules. Daisho in particular looks fun and has stats/lists for Japanese fantasy creatures. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Corsair said:

Enjoying your tales. I also see why you re requesting oriental catfolks!

Thx!

Hmmm. that obvious huh?

2 hours ago, Brianuk said:

Enjoying following this. Check out "Daisho" by Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare or "Ronin" by Osprey Games if you are looking for rules. Daisho in particular looks fun and has stats/lists for Japanese fantasy creatures. 

Thank you!

I do not play , I paint for  display and create armies with a background just for the fun of it.

I'm always interested in minis of other ranges though.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2

Understood! I can see the attraction in theming a group even if you don't use them in games. Look at Dixon miniatures (UK company) if they haven't come up on your searches yet, they have a historical and fantasy samurai range. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Brianuk said:

Understood! I can see the attraction in theming a group even if you don't use them in games. Look at Dixon miniatures (UK company) if they haven't come up on your searches yet, they have a historical and fantasy samurai range. 

Dixon, I know about them, but didn't know they had fantasy samurai.

Next minis:

Mariko in her human form and a Necromancer who clearly has dabbled in the Dark Arts too long.

The Necromancer is from Clan War and I got it from @Jasper_the_2nd the mini I will use for Mariko in human form I took from a BOGW.

No idea who makes it.

DSCN0186.JPG

DSCN0187.JPG

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Next minis:

Mariko in her human form and a Necromancer who clearly has dabbled in the Dark Arts too long.

The Necromancer is from Clan War and I got it from @Jasper_the_2nd the mini I will use for Mariko in human form I took from a BOGW.

No idea who makes it.

DSCN0187.JPG

She's the monk from Oathsworn's Sensible Shoes line (2nd Kickstarter). Can't wait to see you paint her up. Well that and the next story slice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2