joepacelli

Master Series Complete Set #7 or Essentials Set

So I'm looking to purchase either the Master Series complete Set #7 RPR09956 or the Master Series Paints Essentials Set RPR09972.

Both come with 216 paints each

Master Series complete Set #7 RPR09956;

09001-09270

Master Series Paints Essentials Set RPR09972

09001-09111

09401-09454

29801-29854 

If all you had was a handful of Reaper paints currently and wanted to expanded to set, which of these set's would be the better?

Set #7 has a good variety of the triad sets between 09115-09270, but the Essentials have the HD set

So it's making the decision harder

• Like 1

Purely a matter of personal choice.  Both sets have high quality paint for use on metal and Bones.   Both sets have the Core colors, and enough color options to let you paint whatever you want.  IMO, the HD paints come in some pretty bright colors so if that is more your thing you might consider that.  Scroll through the color charts and see what you're attracted to, and what you need for what you want to paint.  You can't go wrong with either choice. 

• Like 1

Myself, I started with the old Learn to Paint Kits, then picked up various paints on sale. At least for advanced tabletop, once you have a starter set of paints, the utility of additional paints drops off quite a bit.

Otherwise:

* Army Painter Quickshade Ink Set

* Secret Weapon Miniatures Stone wash for underground stone.

* Stynylrez brown primer, as well as black and white.

* Reaper flesh triads. Tanned for adventurers. Fair skin or other set for noble women and elves.

* Tamiya red for blood, as well as blue for water.

* Craft paints for basing. Dark and light brown, and dark and light grey.

Some answers here: 

• Like 1

My vote would be for two of the 108 pot BYOPS, but I also already have a few different paints and eventually want the entire Bones and HD lines of paints, plus a selection of the core paint triads to taste.  It also gives good flexibility to have all the colour ranges you want if you pick them yourself ^_^

Out if those two, I'd select the second one simply because it has all of the currently offered Bones and HD paints, which give you a lot of options to work with, plus more of the commonly used core paints, whereas the first one has a lot of... Select colours you may or may not use. 

• Like 1

While the BYOPS is nice and allows me to pick an choose, it all comes down to price. I can get either of these 2 sets for about $380, which is about 1.75 per bottle. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, joepacelli said:

While the BYOPS is nice and allows me to pick an choose, it all comes down to price. I can get either of these 2 sets for about $380, which is about 1.75 per bottle. 

Buy them both? Just kidding because I see there's a fair bit of overlap and even one box is a lot of paint. I'm another one that's falling into the buy them all trap. As others mentioned paint colours is a personal choice. If it was me I'd probably go with the

Master Series Paints Essentials Set RPR09972

09001-09111

09401-09454

29801-29854

The first part gives you most of the paints I use most often. The other 2 parts give you the newer paints and a lot of variety. I haven't used the HD paints much but I've heard they cover better. I like that so I have some of them in my wish list as well as the newer metallics. Really either set would be worth it at that price.

• Thanks 1

I can break this choice down a bit more simply for you, because it comes down to whether you prefer to use triads or you prefer to mix your own colours.

If you prefer triads, go with the MSP complete set.

If you prefer to mix colours and want more options for it, go with the Essentials.

It looks like the Essentials set has all the Bones and HD colours, and as someone who prefers to mix a lot that combination by itself is the finest paint set I have ever seen.  The 108 master series you get with it are just a huge bonus on top of that.  So if you'd rather have more options and do a fair bit of mixing, you will find Essentials much more useful.  But you're trading triad selection for more single colours. 

• Like 4

So I can get the following for $550

09001-09270 MSP core

09401-09454 MSP Bones

29801-29854 HD MSP

total of 326 paints, in 3 caddys

This comes to about 1.69 a bottle

Worth it?

How fast will a bottle dry out if un-opened? Reason I'm asking this is majority of my miniatures won't come till Bones 4 next Feb 2019

While I have a handful of smaller ones, and one big one Ma'al Drakar. I most likely will only purchase a few small ones between now and the release of the Bones 4. 

I would say well worth it, and I wouldn't worry about using, should take you at least couple years to use them all up.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, joepacelli said:

So I can get the following for $550

09001-09270 MSP core

09401-09454 MSP Bones

29801-29854 HD MSP

total of 326 paints, in 3 caddys

This comes to about 1.69 a bottle

Worth it?

How fast will a bottle dry out if un-opened? Reason I'm asking this is majority of my miniatures won't come till Bones 4 next Feb 2019

While I have a handful of smaller ones, and one big one Ma'al Drakar. I most likely will only purchase a few small ones between now and the release of the Bones 4. 

I'm jealous. ::): I have about 200 paints, half of which as Reaper's. Somebody else might have a better idea on the time frame for drying out but I'm still using opened Vallejo and GW paints from almost 20 years ago. I've only had a few bottles of paints in dropper bottles go bad on me in that time and most of those were bad when I got them. That's a lot of paint and a fair chunk of change but very cheap per bottle. I'd say worth it if you've got the cash. 

• Thanks 1

What is this 'drying out' people speak of?

Buglips still use OLD Pro Paints in pots. 

And paint in droppers will last longer than paint in pots because less air is allowed to circulate.

I've bought old out of production and special event  Reaper paints, and all of those have been OK, they just needed a bit of a shakeup first.

Keep the cap on tight, inspect and shake them every year and keep on painting.

Also, add Coat D'Arms washes, and the Tamiya Clears(these are solvent based, but are just too useful not to have)

They're in pots, though, so get a few packs of empty droppers from Reaper. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I have Ral Partha paints turning 30 this year.  :lol:

That will be a lively birthday cake!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

What is this 'drying out' people speak of?

You must not use GW paints or you would know all too well. ::P: Until this year I tended to not paint much in the summers. This lead to me having an annual "watering of the paints" every fall. Each year many needed to be restored and a handful had dried out enough to get thrown out. Since I switched to Vallejo and Reaper for the most part I'm not having those problems so much. Even the P3 and Coat d'Arms pots don't give me the same problems as the GW pots since they quit using Coat d'arms many, many years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree on the drying out bit... Citadel paint pots are notorious for it, drying out sometimes in as little as six months.  The pot looks neat, but it isn't designed to seal properly, not to mention the fact that one can be easily tempted to use the "mini-palette" built into the flip top part of the lid. 

The only "issue" I've had with my Reaper paints is separation inside the bottle, which is easily fixed by shaking it, which one should do anyways ^_^

Isn't it HMK, or GMK, or something like that... *looks and searches* HMG makes P3 and Coat D'arms. The only complaint I've heard about those paints is that the hinge on the lid is a weak spot and can break, but the lid still seals really well.  Some people have paints made for Citadel that were bottled 20+ years ago and they're still good. 

• Like 1