scalehunter

Weekly Bones 3 road to improvment

Welcome to the forum!    And congrats on your first post!   

It looks like you’re off to a great start.

I'm sure you will be getting a lot of good advice as folks see your thread here.  The first thing that strikes me as I look at your figures is to increase your highlighting.  You’ve got good colors and shadows, but you need to brighten your highlights.   Not enough highlighting is a problem I’ve suffered from, and I continually battle.  

And good luck luck with your project!  Painting your way though an entire Core Set is a great way to improve your skill.  I did something similar with Bones 1 several years ago, and think it Improved my painting a lot. 

https://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 4

You're off to a great start! My favorites are the blue lizard man and the snake.

My suggestion would be to spiff up the bases a little bit.

As for unusual colors, it's fantasy so your imagination is the limit. You can always google images for inspiration. Google lizards for the lizard men. Maybe you want to use a lizard pattern on a couple. For capes, armor, etc, watch fantasy shows or google photos from fantasy shows. Or look at old paintings to see what real armor/cloaks/etc looked like. Like I said, your imagination (and your paint collection) is the limit!

Welcome to the forums!

• Like 3

Your painting skills seem fine, so just keep on practising!

This is fantasy, so mauve, chartreuse and heliotrope yetis are all considered VERY realistic. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Welcome to the Forums.

I like your work.

As been said, it's fantasy so use your imagination and have fun.

Adding some flock or sand to the bases will impove them a lot.

Apply with PVA and when dry use a little spray on sealer like anti shine.

It will stick better then.

Reptiles?

Look at my Lost World Project ( see my sig).

As a matter of fact, do browse this forum, looks at the painting and advice thread.

Look at other people's WIP ( Work in Progress) and make one of your own.

People are very helpful here.

Also look at youtube vids, search for painting fantasy miniatures.

If you see some text in purple on this forum, it is meant as a joke.

Enjoy!!!!

• Like 5

On 2/17/2018 at 8:42 PM, Chris Palmer said:

Welcome to the forum!    And congrats on your first post!   

It looks like you’re off to a great start.

I'm sure you will be getting a lot of good advice as folks see your thread here.  The first thing that strikes me as I look at your figures is to increase your highlighting.  You’ve got good colors and shadows, but you need to brighten your highlights.   Not enough highlighting is a problem I’ve suffered from, and I continually battle.  

And good luck luck with your project!  Painting your way though an entire Core Set is a great way to improve your skill.  I did something similar with Bones 1 several years ago, and think it Improved my painting a lot. 

https://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/

Thanks, I'll sure try more highlighting in my next batch. That Link you posted is very helpful and exactly the type of thing I was looking for when trying to figure out how to conceptualize painting such a large batch of different figures. I hope you don't mind me browsing when I get stumped on how to paint a new mini.

On 2/18/2018 at 3:07 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Welcome to the Forums.

I like your work.

As been said, it's fantasy so use your imagination and have fun.

Adding some flock or sand to the bases will impove them a lot.

Apply with PVA and when dry use a little spray on sealer like anti shine.

It will stick better then.

Reptiles?

Look at my Lost World Project ( see my sig).

As a matter of fact, do browse this forum, looks at the painting and advice thread.

Look at other people's WIP ( Work in Progress) and make one of your own.

People are very helpful here.

Also look at youtube vids, search for painting fantasy miniatures.

If you see some text in purple on this forum, it is meant as a joke.

Enjoy!!!!

Thanks, I have always enjoyed the idea of an aztec inspired jungle setting and your posts really seem to capture that. I especially like the extra world building you include to put context behind the characters and creatures.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You're off to a very good start!

I agree with those that mentioned working on the bases a little bit. Other than that, just keep practicing.

Welcome to the forums!:winkthumbs:

• Like 1

I am a color theorist here and I think you did very well.  You asked for a C&C based on your own critiques, so I'm going to jump in with a few suggestions I've gotten over the years, which have helped me improve as a painter, too.  And, as a note, I want to point out you've tackled a few figures I have not yet (but your cobra has given me an idea for my cobra, albeit in a different scheme, so thank you!).  Now, anything I say, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take it as my experience and what I PERSONALLY find to be helpful.  You will find your own path, I am sharing my path with you so that you can see some ideas.  Feel free to ignore me or use what you want, as my intent is to be helpful.

Detailed critique of everything

#1 OVERALL Critique compliment:  Your colors are presented well and there is no "smudging" to different areas of the model.  This is a HUGE plus and you've got great brush control, this will help you as you move along.  Your paints also appear to be thinned very well (something I still struggle with time to time).

#2:  Critique Yeti-man:  Your personal critique says you use brown too much.  This is not a bad thing if this guy is bigfoot.  But, the VARIETY of browns that you use could be different.  What I suggest here is that the darkest brown you used be kept, then a russet/auburn hair color (something akin to reddish hair), then, finally, either a pale tan or something to highlight the reddish brown.  This creates three tones.  You could even add in some greys (another color you "use too much"), but on furs, it makes perfect sense.  Overall, the model makes sense, and fits a forest theme.  Adding to the base, as others suggested, would make it that much better for you.  An alternate color for the nails, a shiny black, or even white, could really make them pop and make them different enough from the rest of the model.  You definitely have the brush control for it, so give it a shot sometime like you did with the lizardman in #3!

#3 Critique Lizard Man with spear and Javelins:  Honestly, the critique here is always higher highlights and darker shadows.  After that, the javelins could use a smidge more definition, but, in bones, these particular components are a bit soft (I know, I have them), so I'd not be terribly worried there.  The color is really cool (surf aqua?  Hydra Turquoise from Army Painter?), and the alternate nail and frill color is an excellent compliment to the aqua/turquose of the rest of the lizardman.  This was a model where you challenged yourself to use "nonstandard" colors and you succeeded with flying colors, no pun intended.  It's really skill building, as you said yourself.  You're going to get there, and you're already challenging your own preconceived notions.  Good for you! 

#4:  Cobra Critique:  I don't know how many cobras you have seen, but this one fits a couple of their color schemes, as well as a grey/silver one.  I like that you challenged yourself with a stripe (I did so with a marilith a few years ago).  You should be proud, the effect succeeded, and it will provide inspiration for others (including myself) to do something like that.  Again, the critique here falls to shadows, which, on scales, take FOREVER to get right, especially at that size.  This is one of the most challenging models in your group for that reason, and, honestly, I'd be ecstatic with the work you've done here and be happy to move on. 

#5 Hobgoblin:  I love the golden skin tone, I love the red for the clothing choices, and the browns for the clothing, but it starts to fit in a "sameness" category.  The teal bottle helps fight that, but then the face has fewer details than even the #3 lizard man, which, in my opinion, has a more challenging face, but, being more realistic, it is very intimidating.  You've done some highlighting here, that I can see.   It will definitely look good on a tabletop.  If you want more, push more.  That's your choice and anyone who says differently can go pound sand, myself included!

#6:  Lizardman with Shield and Tortoise Club:  You may feel this is "too realistic" but this fits for me.  I like the colors chosen, although a couple nitpicks.  You made a point of his "carapace" looking pieces on his feet being different colored, but not his tail.  You could have gone for a crocodile look with this guy (and have inspired me to go that route with mine, by the way thank you!!!), but one thing you can think of, is to look at other models you have done and, if they are of the same tribe, you could have made the javelins match the turquoise one (unless turquoise was painted later).  Again, overall, the details were great, and the painted chest details were solid, with highlighting and shadows being something that will come with time.

Final thoughts:

I say you're doing most excellent!  You've got great brush control, the models look good, and the only real things you're struggling with are the things we ALL struggle with (shadows and highlights and FACES!).  A little bit of layering here and there, and there are plenty of resources on glazing, washes, drybrushing (something handy for fur), and I think you'll find you'll be able to improve as a painter to whatever level you choose!

• Like 3

Week 2 Update:

Hello again everyone and thanks for your comments and the resources you posted. The two points I see I need to focus on the most appears to be basing and highlighting. I still have a ways to go but that's the point, anyway here are my recent attempts 77423 Templar, 77440 Demon Hunter, 77446 Were-Bear, 77455 Ogre Smasher, 50315 Witch. Just looking at them together now I see I really still need to be bolder in my highlights, it can get hard to judge when looking up close in focused lighting compared to when you step back and look at them in a normal setting. Again any comments on how to improve or resources are always helpful. you guys have been so awesome in helping me see what is off about how I've been painting and the resources on this forum and those posted above have helped me greatly, if not to immediately improve than at least a tangible goal that I can look to and visualize. Thank you

Cleric Blue.JPG

Drow Sorceress.JPG

Bear.JPG

Ogre.JPG

Witch.JPG

• Like 14

Week 3 Update: This week has been pretty busy for me so I apologize for the later post. This week I wanted to better understand how to incorporate high contrast colors such as red and green. I often hear that opposing colors should be used to make a figure stand out but am not sure if I am understanding correctly as I am unsure about these results, I also want to find ways to improve forest basing as I feel my current technique looks to much like hard base with flock loosely sitting on top. Figures are 77447 Were Crocodile, 77476 Hobgoblin, 77477 Hobgoblin veteran, 77421 Monk, and a non Bones 3 set figure 03255 Female Rouge. I choose these as I wanted them all to be either red or green and intended to experiment with complimentary colors. Please any criticism or advice is appreciated and  welcome. Thanks guys

It's a Gator!.JPG

Hobgoblin Grunt.JPG

Hobgoblin Captain.JPG

Monk.JPG

Ranger.JPG

• Like 14

looking good! very productive few weeks.

Seems like you are ready to play with some more advanced techniques. I find washes and darklining to be very rewarding (though, slow).

Keep it up!

Edited by vulture
  • Like 2

I notice that you seem to use the same brown a lot for leatherworks...

And while brown is a typical colour for leather, it will fade and wear, so not all the equipment worn will have the same colours.

When you have wood at the same time, try using different colours for that. Maybe base it in grey and give it a brown wash to add colour to the pattern in the wood? 

Are you using a glossy varnish?

You can also get matte and satin varnishes, and they all have their uses.

(Jewels and metals can be glossy, most other parts should be matte or satin. )

• Like 2

Just wanted to chime in and say how much I liked the bases of the werebear and werecroc.  They really make the minis seem “finished.”  If you know what I mean?  And lol “hunny”!  Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

I love the patch of white on the Werebear! Such a good idea, I may (may = totally will) steal it. I've been staring at the Bones 3 core set I ordered for the longest time too intimidated to try but I think I'm just going to go for it. And borrow your cobra paint scheme, as I love that mini but had no idea how to start painting it!

• Like 1