scalehunter

Weekly Bones 3 road to improvment

On 3/5/2018 at 2:07 AM, Gadgetman! said:

I notice that you seem to use the same brown a lot for leatherworks...

And while brown is a typical colour for leather, it will fade and wear, so not all the equipment worn will have the same colours.

When you have wood at the same time, try using different colours for that. Maybe base it in grey and give it a brown wash to add colour to the pattern in the wood? 

Are you using a glossy varnish?

You can also get matte and satin varnishes, and they all have their uses.

(Jewels and metals can be glossy, most other parts should be matte or satin. )

Hi, thanks for the advice, I have struggled with differentiating browns and making woods and leather look different. Hopefully the new set of paint I just got and some practice will help with that. About the varnish, I am using vallejo matte varnish applied with a brush. Would you(or anyone else here) recommend a different brand or technique to get them less glossy? Thanks

You are doing very well. Basing is coming along better. Just a little dirt and flock can make a huge difference. For the rocky or "dungeon" bases, maybe a little drybrushing to give some dimension.

On the monk, is that freehand I see? Very nice! I also like the pattern on the croc and the details on the werebear. I like how you are giving your minis personal touches! One of my favorites is your drow. Very pretty!

Update Week 4: Another awesome week and another round of mini's. I just want to thank you all again for this amazing support and your very helpful suggestions. This week I went back to basics with the two first races you think of when you think fantasy: Dwarves and elves. The two main questions I think of when looking over these guys  is if eyes are worth the trouble or if it is better to leave them in the shadows of the face. I skipped the eyes on most of these and those I did include it on look a little googly eyed. Should I just keep practicing or is it the kind of thing that it is okay to skip? The other thing is basing materials for figures meant to be indoors, Prime example is a dwarf brewer. He would pretty much always appear indoors given his barrel. I ended up using foam and trying to scratch grain into it. What materials work good for wooden planks and stone tiles? Any way, figures are 77460 Dwarf Butcher, 77320 Elf Sniper, 77409 Elf Heroine, 77461 Dwarf Brewer, 77482 Dwarf Warrior.

5aa58d041d322_DwarfPiglover77460.JPG.7495539ee8ddc0ce352eabd61f973739.JPG5aa58d122488d_ElfArcher77320.JPG.581292471ec9455b61675927c0ed6ec1.JPG5aa58d168f4e7_ElfSwordMaiden77409.JPG.43d31a2616ed019c5ed0092096ab551d.JPG5aa58d19a9028_TavernDwarf77461.JPG.85176f32f55366d98647c299ee5ef6a2.JPG5aa58d1d0c6c6_DwarfAxeboy77482.JPG.1e4533792aac81d6612d0f7a3836ae0b.JPG

• Like 11

Sorry for this weeks post, been Real busy. Only got 3 done this week they are 77407 Death dog, 77426 Lizard Man, 77456 Ogre Guard. Still experimenting with color schemes for some monsters. the Death dog in particular feels like it is missing color but I am unsure what to add to it. Anyway CC welcome and again sorry for this weeks rushed post

77456 Ogre Guard.JPG

77407 Death dog.JPG

77426 Lizard man.JPG

• Like 12

Sorry for not posting for a month, life gets in the way sometimes, speaking of which I may need to change this to a once every two week or once a month post but I don't know if I can change the title. Anyway this time I have 77438 Paladin, 77491 Sophie (Modded), and 89039 Grave Knight. The paladin was repainted about 10 times due to me never liking how his (now white) cloth looked, I eventually went with the kind of boring red/white classic scheme. the grave-knight was some attempts at non metallic armor and some light effects, I don't know if I like the result. And last Sophie which I did not apply the wings to as I had a specific role in mind of a powerful magic user teen who tricks the party into breaking her out of "an evil wizards tower" only to slowly realize she is a reckless brat who was grounded by h er family and now is free to wreak havoc on the town. Anyway any tips or criticism is welcome.

77438 Paladin.JPG

77491 Sophie (modified).JPG

89039 Graveknight.JPG

• Like 9

I love them! The Paladin's armor looks great and I immediately thought of Sabrina the Teenage Witch when I saw the Sophie, and that was before I read your description, something about the face I think, she looks bratty

I think the OSL came across in the Grave Knight although I think (says she who has never even attempted OSLit might have been more obvious with a brighter red or even orange?

These look great!

I want to point out that the moderators on this board prefers posters to not have long continued threads, but rather one thread per mini or related group of minis.