ced1106

Confrontation: Classic

On 2/20/2018 at 9:51 PM, JoeGKushner said:

You and I must be looking at some very different ebay results. I saw a few of them for $150 +

I suppose that if you are looking for some specific and rare figures then, yeah, those might be a bit higher. But if you are just looking at some "average" Confrontation figure, there are a lot to pick up for just a few dollars. Is there anything in specific you are looking to get your hands on? :)

On 2/21/2018 at 12:10 AM, Gadgetman! said:

Ah, I wasn't aware that they were recasters. 

Do we know that they never had the rights to do that?

Oh yeah, Cadwallon were (are still?) recasting old Confrontation figures without the right to do so. It's been well-known every since they started. They've tried to shut them down, but seeing how they are operating from the deep of Russia (Ukraine?) there isn't much that can be done about it unless they don't want to stop. Howerver, they are also releasing new material for this universe that previously hadn't been sculpted, albeit, they are using old concept art, also this without the right to do so.

On a further note regarding this Kickstarter, I did read a comment over at another online forum who stated that these figures will not be produced in metal, but probably in some plastic material. Of course, when it comes from an internet source, it shouldn't be given that much credit, but still interesting nonetheless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Ah, I wasn't aware that they were recasters. 

Do we know that they never had the rights to do that?

This is what is posted on their website.

Dear Customers!

We want to inform you that our website temporarily stops selling all old Rakcham Confrontation miniatures until this issue will be settled with the right-holders from Sans Detour. We are very grateful to everyone who has been with us all for these years. Hope we`ll be with you soon againg.

I've only ever bought from their Legend of Signum line, so can't comment as to whether they were recasts or not. 

1 minute ago, Grefven said:

Oh yeah, Cadwallon were (are still?) recasting old Confrontation figures without the right to do so. It's been well-known every since they started. They've tried to shut them down, but seeing how they are operating from the deep of Russia (Ukraine?) there isn't much that can be done about it unless they don't want to stop. Howerver, they are also releasing new material for this universe that previously hadn't been sculpted, albeit, they are using old concept art, also this without the right to do so

Honestly had never heard this, and my Google-fu has failed me.  I tried to search for anything that would have indicated this when this thread started, but wasn't able to find anything...::(:

• Like 2

On 19/02/2018 at 9:08 PM, Gadgetman! said:

It seems it's French publisher Sans-Detour that's running the show, and yeah...  

Their website is only in French. 

I've dealt with French companies before, and no, not going to bother. 

Why is it that French companies don't like selling their toys to us Johnny Foreigners? Confrontation, Ilyad Games, Hell Dorado... they only reluctantly eventually translate their games into other languages and trying to get hold of the figures can be an utter nightmare. Eventually they go out of business then just relaunch under a new name and begin the cycle all over again.

Trying to get hold of French miniatures can be a pain in the backside. I've still got a load of Dwarfs of Tir Na Bor (practically the entire product line with two or three exceptions) so if anyone in my area does pick this up then I might be able to give it a go. Perhaps they'll make the dwarfs actually playable instead of the laughable joke faction they used to be.

Another problem with Confrontation is that you had tiers. Low tier armies (dwarfs, goblins etc) really struggled against the mid tier armies and had absolutely no chance against the high tier ones (Alahan, Dirz, the Wolves etc). That always struck me as a really bad design decision because it artificially limited who could play together due to designer favouritism for some factions.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Grefven said:

I suppose that if you are looking for some specific and rare figures then, yeah, those might be a bit higher. But if you are just looking at some "average" Confrontation figure, there are a lot to pick up for just a few dollars. Is there anything in specific you are looking to get your hands on? :)

The samurai ogre

The big bug knights from the wood elf faction.

The big Monsters from the clone faction.

The minotaurs (they were all pretty cool)

Anything from the city faction

The spasm warriors

I see a free of them but I'm not seeing low prices but I could be using bad search terms

9 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Why is it that French companies don't like selling their toys to us Johnny Foreigners? Confrontation, Ilyad Games, Hell Dorado... they only reluctantly eventually translate their games into other languages and trying to get hold of the figures can be an utter nightmare. Eventually they go out of business then just relaunch under a new name and begin the cycle all over again.

Well, the French-based Monolith Conan boardgame had various translation-related issues. This cost them money to revise and print the updated rules, and they didn't make any corrected English cards. Also, maybe the domestic market is large enough that the additional international sales isn't worth it. After reading Reaper's headaches during its KS, I'm not going to blame any small company for not wanting to deal with overseas markets. :mellow:

• Like 1

Beasts of War have an article up today regarding this campaign.  Apparently all 16 9fbthe classic factions will be represented.  Includes some preview pics... 

I've seen the pictures of their previewed faction boxes. I've got to say that I am very disappointed with their miniature selections for those factions. I would, perhaps, be interested in one or two of each faction, but seeing how there are 7-10 more that I am not interested in in each faction, this kickstarter will most likely be a total "no" for me, which is a shame since I love Confrontation. :/

I'd be more interested in knowing if they addressed the terrible game balance and tiered army setup they had before (Wolfen, Dirz & Alahan on the top, goblins & dwarfs on the bottom tier etc). Bottom tier armies never stood much of a chance against top tier armies and, while they could compete against mid tier forces they were basically relegated to playing against other bottom tier foes.

It was so glaringly obvious and was such a bad game design decision when they wanted everyone to be able to play with each other. I also hope they address the serious issue of the Dwarfs of Tir Na Bor being basically unplayable due to bad rules design. You didn't need to hurt them to cripple them. Any non wounding blow would give them the "stun" debuff reducing their standard offensive scores to "we're never going to hit anything now". They were punching bags who literally could not hit back (especially due to having lower initiative than even zombies).

It was a terrible set of rules with ugly miniatures (ugly from a "there's no way that spindly joint is going to hold the weight of this huge piece of metal and they're just making the joints as thin as they can on purpose so it looks grotesque" point of view) and it always surprises me that so many people think that it was good.

If people do start playing it again in my area I've got pretty much all the dwarfs from last time 'round. Most of them are even painted. They weren't dwarfs 'though. They were orc in disguise and basically designed for the kind of player who likes desperate all or nothing "roll a 6 or this doesn't work" rolls without enough proper substance to back it up.

• Like 1

No. It was torture. Most of the guys at the club were playing some sci fi game that I wasn't interested in for months and I got stuck playing Confrontation with a small cluster of powergamers who all had top tier armies for about eight months. It was a living hell.

Also did you notice how Confrontation uses metric measurements because it wants to be french but all ranges & movement rates are in exact multiples of 2.5cm? They could've just kept it imperial :p. Seriously. Dwarfs move 7.5cm (or blatantly almost 3"), taller races move 10cm (or just under 4") and so on. The same goes for spell ranges, missile weapons. It's fairly easy to convert across but your opponent needs to agree beforehand.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
Imperial/Metric conversions.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Also did you notice how Confrontation uses metric measurements because it wants to be french

Or... Maybe it wants to be Canadian.

Cause let's face it. Who doesn't.

^_^

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

Launch date is April 17th

...and apparently the Kickstarter will focus on a boxed game containing 176 miniatures plus stretch goals. Also announced is the news that the miniatures are going to be made from................plastic.

Two of the three details above I consider disappointing

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Being plastic doesn't bother me much if they are done well.  The full boxed set could be prohibitive though.  What are we talking?  At least $400 I'd think.

• Like 2