Sign in to follow this  
Queeny

Some advice please

So, this happened.  The top is so top heavy, what a badly designed, yet  amazing looking sculpt ::(:. Any advice on how I can fix it?  And yes it's dusty lol it's been sitting a bit while I work on other things.  He'll get a dust off soon ::):

20180219_162531.jpg

Edited by Queeny
  • Like 2

Eh...  

How thick is that shaft?

It looks as if it's going to be a bit of a pain to pin....  

It's either pinning or replacing the shaft with something else entirely that's your two choices.

BTW: who made this one? it's kind of neat...

• Like 1

That's S'ygma, from Rackhams Confrontation minis.

The pole is very thin and flimsy. Pinning seems impossible. I have considered cutting the entire pole off and pinning with something new and sturdier.  

• Like 1

Yep, I’d cut the top part of the pole off that is above the hand, and the part remaining under the parasol.  Then drill a hole in the top of the hand and another under the parasol and replace the missing section of pole with something of a suitable diameter to match the lower section of the pole.  Either paperclip, sewing pin, or brass rod.  

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 5

It's an awesome mini!

A- Does the mini just fall over when attached?

B - Or are you afraid the parasol will break off?

If A - put a weight under the base to keep it from falling over ( something like pennies, fishing lead)

If B - you might want to pin.

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

It's an awesome mini!

A- Does the mini just fall over when attached?

B - Or are you afraid the parasol will break off?

If A - put a weight under the base to keep it from falling over ( something like pennies, fishing lead)

If B - you might want to pin.

The parasol was too heavy and snapped the pole in half. I think I'm going take Chris Palmer' s suggestion. Completely cut the pole off and put a new, sturdier one on in its place. 

• Like 2

I recommend you replace the whole staff, not just the piece above his hand.  That way it will have uniform thickness over the whole length and be much less vulnerable to breakage.  You also should choose something stiff and strong but slightly flexible.  Brass wire will bend over time and likely break just above the hand eventually.  A steel rod will work (a model shop should have one the right diameter).  Be super careful cutting  the rod if you use one.  The trimmed ends shoot like shrapnel and are a hazard to eyes and pets.  I've had some good results shaving down a bamboo skewer to the right diameter.  Its definitely strong enough and has the bonus of having a nice texture.

• Like 5

That's why you clip away from yourself and others and let the shrapnel fly at the wall :poke: Alternatively, get a material you can cut with a narrow saw. Brass rod or tube could work well too. 

• Like 1

I've pinned stuff approximately 1.5 millimeters thick before and it's EXTREMELY fiddly. Also if you do pin and don't run the pin all the way to the parasol it will just break above the pin later. Generally for pinning I like to use dress makers pins as they are hard to bend. I would replace the pole from the hand to the parasol. If you are worried about brass rod bending then use tubing as it is less likely to bend.

• Like 1

When cutting rod/wire/paper clips/whatever has a tendency to become shrapnel - hold one end as usual, shove the other end into a piece of cork. Either brace the cork with the hand you’re using the cutters with or shove it under something sturdy. Clip as usual. No flying shrapnel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think I'm going to try what Geoff suggests. Cut the entire pole off. Then I can drill a hole through his hand and run something new through it.  Will have to look closely how the hand/bottom pole intersects with the body I think.  This is going to be an adventure lol I've never really done more than some small pinning before. 

• Like 3

I think there is a tutorial somewhere on this site that shows how to remove weapons and drill out hands to open them up.  Does anyone have a link to it?

Edited by Geoff Davis
  • Like 1