Vacaroja

77580: Ma'al Drakar (pic heavy)

Not bad, but I can see that you made a mistake there in hour 375. 

J/K, she's perfect...  Truly outstanding!  Makes me wish there was a reaction stronger than "Like" that I could click on.

Kang

Wow this is incredible. The detailed work on the scales speaks to the meticulousness of your work. I also love the ivory/cream shading of the white dragon color scheme!

4 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Awesome!  I love the white dragon head!

2 hours ago, Rogue1138 said:

Wow this is incredible. The detailed work on the scales speaks to the meticulousness of your work. I also love the ivory/cream shading of the white dragon color scheme!

I have to admit, I'm actually not 100% happy with the white one.  It took me the longest to finally just stop futzing with it and accept what it was.  I know I didn't want to go the usual blue/cool shaded white that I see most folks do.  So I used a stylized version of some natural resources for color choices instead.  I think it's the "chalkiness" of it, which I've heard can be an issue when painting white.  But everything on her was an experiment.  And in the end, I'm happy with the overall figure as I learned a lot doing it.

3 hours ago, Clearman said:

Beautiful work!

I'm curious to know what was used for the base though.

Base is an 11" wooden round plaque I bought at Michael's.

And thanks, everyone, for the compliments!

Edited by Vacaroja

I think this is one of the best painted dragons I have ever seen!

Absolutely amazing!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Geoff Davis
      77041: Harpy by Julie Guthrie

This one was on my shelf of shame for quite a while, until my daughter told me off for having it lying around.  So I sculpted a shirt for her out of greenstuff which was a fun learning process.  I needed her for my D&D game last week, so she got the speed paint finish.  Her skin is the dusky flesh triad with some light grey added. 

• By OneBoot
      We all knew this day would come eventually. The day where OneBoot tosses the very few marbles she has left into the ocean and throws herself in after them. The blank 4th spot in my lovely Goblin Challenge signature badge has been glaring at me for several months now, and my personal circumstances have now aligned to allow me to attempt this, my final Challenge.

For those of you unfamiliar with Goblin Painting Challenges, started by our very own @buglips*the*goblin, here is a link to his Kaladrax thread that started it all: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip/&

The short version of the rules is that I will be painting up Dragons Don't Share - 2014 edition in 7 days, using no brushes larger than a size 0.

Here's the long version of the rules:

You are all invited to join me in my descent into further madness! But only if you bring chocolate and gummy worms.  

On a personal note, out of all 4 Goblin Challenges, this is actually the one I've been the most nervous about all along (yes, even more so than Ma'al Drakar). Those adventurers are likely to prove to be 5 lovely little time sinks for me, and I'll have to concentrate very hard not to get caught up in all those beautiful details on them! But who knows, maybe it'll end up being the terrain that eats all my time and sanity; we get to find out together!

My general plan is as follows:
      The first couple of days will focus on brown linering and basecoating ALL THE THINGS, while also putting on faces and eyes while my hands are still fairly steady. I will work primarily on the adventurers the first few days, but will take 'breaks' to work on the terrain and the dragon in between to let my eyes and hands relax a bit from the tiny work. My aim is to finish the adventurers by the end of Day 4, or at least get them to "good enough" status; fun fiddly detail bits can be added after this point if I have time, but even without those the figures could be declared done. My final day will likely be focused on finishing up the terrain, and possibly the dragon's wings. Not sure about that yet, but that's what I anticipate.  
      Started: April 3rd 2018, 4:00pm PDT
      Finished: April 10th 2018, 8:17am PDT
      Show-off thread:

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
    • By Metalchaos
      This is it! I'm done painting the Bonesylvanians collection. That's twelve Bonesylvanians from 2014 and sixteen from 2015, all in pewter.
      I want to thank everyone who commented and give feedback along the way. It was a lot of fun moments and there is still a lot more to come.

Here are the links to the individual 2015 Bonesylvanians;
      01546, Tut the Pharaoh
      01547, Cal the Skeleton
      01555, Boris the Frankenstein
      01556, Elsa the Bride of Frankenstein
      01564, Max the Nosferatu
      01565, Barb the Zombie Cheerleader
      01566, Jacques the Fly
      01567, Mary the Mermaid
      01568, Lou the Chulhu
      01569, Howie the Sea Monster
      01570, Betty the Ghost Bride
      01571, Jake the Jason Voorhees
      01572, Maddie the Gorgon (Medusa)
      01573, Mel the Bathalian (illithid)
      01575, Olive the Vampire
      01576, Gulp the Deep One

And, here are some group pictures of the Bonesylvanians class of 2015...

• By OneBoot
      For those of you unfamiliar with Goblin Painting Challenges, started by our very own @buglips*the*goblin, here is a link to the Kaladrax thread that started it all:  http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip .

For this Challenge, I will be painting up Ma'al Drakar in 7 days, using no brushes larger than a size 0. 

The rules are posted below:

I will be starting my Challenge at 1:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time on August 2nd 2017 (link here).
      EDIT: If you want to skip all of the talky stuff, here's the link to my completion picture.
      EDIT: And here's the link to the final entry pictures.

Let the insanity begin!!!  

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
    • By Sophie was taken
      The third and final mini from the Layer Up! LTPK, Julie Guthrie’s Hajad the Pirate:

Not gonna try for any better images, because then you would see how badly I messed up the eyes...

Mostly by the book, but I skipped the lining as my little brush was becoming temperamental. Of the three minis in this kit, this is the one I was most looking forward to, as it has the most exposed skin of the three (one of my problem areas). Think I oversold the abs a bit too much though.

Based on issues with the previous minis, I elected to basecoat both weapon blades with Ebony Flesh before applying the metallic. The Filigree Silver included in the kit was too watery to play nice with bare Bonesium, and in any case it was difficult for me to see where the paint actually stuck. Plus, it makes lighter metallics pop.

It was nice to see darker flesh tones included in this kit. The darkest (non-dark elf) skin tone I had available before was Tanned Skin, but my attempts to mix in darker paints always resulted in a weird shade of sadness.

All in all, this kit was a good learning experience. The instructions were clear and easy to follow, and it was neat seeing the colors build up with each layer. The cartoons were cute too. I just hope that my technique improves moving forward. And that painting eyes gets easier.
  • Who's Online   12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)