What type of clippers does everyone use for their minis? One of my friends has a God Hand (sp?) for Gundam models and it's super thin and leaves little evidence of it's passing but it's mucho $$$. I was looking at Tamiya TAM74035 Sharp Pointed Side Cutter by Tamiya  and it seemed a bit more reasonable: 

Edited by ladystorm
removed commerce link

I use old toenail clippers for metal and crude chunks. I used a set very similar to these for years but they are hard on the fingers if you're doing a lot of cutting.

Image result for sprue cutters

Now I mostly use these.

Image result for sprue cutters

• Like 5

For a long while I had a pair of clippers I picked up at a big box hardware store.  Then I bought another pair I purchased at a different big box hardware store.  Now I have a pair that I picked up at JoAnn Fabrics that looks a lot like Zink's. 

I still keep the other pairs, for clipping wire, pinning rods, etc.  The nice clippers are for plastics. 

• Like 3

I got a cheap pair from the hardware store for less than $5.  I clean up the cut with  a knife if necessary. 

• Like 3

I use 3 different type of clippers.IMG_1332.thumb.JPG.92cbfd2878bf3712edd17e03837dab12.JPGIMG_1333.thumb.JPG.95fc34a0881275ead5a1e31018570ebd.JPG

The yellow clippers are a freebie that Mantic used to include with orders from their online store during promotions in their early years.

I use them primarily for snipping bits off of metal minis.

The black clippers I've had the longest. They're my go to clippers for most plastic and resin sprues.

They were bought at a hobby store and didn't cost much. No makers name.

The blue clippers are made by Xuron and are the priciest of the three, but still weren't that expensive.

I needed something that could remove small delicate pieces many of which were awkwardly placed and difficult if not impossible to get to with my Black clippers on plastic and resin sprues.

Not pictured is an old wire cutter I have that I use when cutting hard metal for use as pinning rods.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have a set of cheapo side cutters I bought from Harbor Freight for plastic and Metal minis. I have a set of Lineman Pliers I use for cutting hardened steel like safety pins and straight pins for pinning minis. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Loim said:

I have a set of cheapo side cutters I bought from Harbor Freight for plastic and Metal minis.

I recently broke down and bought a pair of clippers for sprue work (mine came from Harbor Freight too).

• Like 2

Xuron for plastic models & a cheap one I got off ebay for metals. Oddly I got the cheapies for ReaperCon, just in case I lost them while at the Con but it seems like they work better then the Xurons at times. I do have the gf9(Privateer Press) ones as well. These are just rebranded Xurons. 

Note, get 2 separate ones for working with plastics & metals. Interchanging will dull the blades quicker. 

• Like 3

I also use the Xuron side cutters.

I have one pair for plastic and another for metal, as using a set of cutters that has been used to cut anything harder than soft lead on plastic will leave you with more rough edges to clean up.  You won't notice the difference until you get a really sharp pair to use on plastic after having used the same pair for both metal and plastic.

I do have somewhat of an advantage as I have access to powered grinding wheels that can refinish and even reshape tools as needed.  I also have been trained on how to sharpen tools using whet stones so I hand lap the edges on my cutting tools [including scissors] whenever I feel they are getting a little rough or dull.

I'm planning to be at Reapercon so if anyone wants to learn how to use whet stones drop me a PM and we will get together for a little "hands on" passing on of the lore.

GEM

• Like 5

I also use the Xuron shears. I have two. Because it turns out you shouldn't cut steel paperclips with them. So I have the gouged up pair I continue to use for that, and the nice ones I use for other things. ;->

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I finally broke down and purchased a good set of these and have had no regrets since.

And edited to say these are hardened and designed to cut through anything!

4CCE9E04-2804-42D3-B8B0-315187331E81.jpeg

Edited by Harrek
  • Like 4

Another vote for Xuron sidecutters and shears here.  Got mine from Micro-Mark.

The Egg

• Like 2