Nuki

Which base size for D&D 5e (Bones) Orc

Hello community,

I finally started preparing my bones 3 orcs and want to base them. I am wondering what base size would be the correct if we use them for d&d 5e ? I assume 25mm, but from the figure size it’s more 32mm. Anyone some suggestions please? Do you think 32mm would work as well with the d&d or pathfinder map tiles?

regards,

nuki

The grids on the D&D and Pathfinder stuff are 1-inch squares, so 25mm bases are better. I don't have those orcs so I can't say for sure that they'd fit on 25mm bases. You can try to mount them diagonally to get them to fit, and there's a good chance their feet may hang over the edges a little bit depending on their stance. I'd also suggest removing the integral base and mounting them directly to the square base for a better fit.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

I don't have those orcs either, but 25mm is the way to go. I use rounds (makes positioning easier on a crowded board). If the feet hang over a little I tend not to worry much. EM-4 makes good plastic bases, but IIRC Reaper has 25mm rounds too...

Damon.

Go with a 25mm HEX!!!!!! This you know exactly your front arc and the your diagonals. MUhahahah 

I'm not super duper experienced on tiles/size but when I ran a one-shot at work using the poster map that came with a 3/3.5 DMG, the base I used for Khavith fit just fine on the grid.

25mm or 1 inch is the correct size base, however these orcs stances dont fit very well on that base.  I havent based mine yet because of that problem and I havent figured out a good solution yet.

Thanks! If 25mm is the correct size I need to rethink my plans for the orcs. Need to find a solution to get them on those ones.. 

I better continue with the lizardmen.. they seem to fit to 25 and wait till I get a solution to have a decent base for the oversized orcs.

Yea, 25mm is the base you technically want to use, but the Bones orcs are in wide stances that don't play well with them. I'm almost at the point where I want to get rid of grids entirely for RPGs and just go with using a measuring tape like a wargamer(back to the RPG roots!) because I like dynamically posed minis, but dynamically posed minis tend not to work well with RPG grids and bases.

I'm currently working on those orcs and I'm basing them on 30 mm I think. They fit well on that and I'm okay with them being a bit larger than my adventurers. They still fit into that one grid thing okay-ish. I'm willing to play them as medium creatures on the bigger side of things in my 5e games. 

CQa8QxC.jpg

25 mm und 30 mm base on 1 inch grid paper.

• Like 3