Which base size for D&D 5e (Bones) Orc

Hello community,

I finally started preparing my bones 3 orcs and want to base them. I am wondering what base size would be the correct if we use them for d&d 5e ? I assume 25mm, but from the figure size it’s more 32mm. Anyone some suggestions please? Do you think 32mm would work as well with the d&d or pathfinder map tiles?

The grids on the D&D and Pathfinder stuff are 1-inch squares, so 25mm bases are better. I don't have those orcs so I can't say for sure that they'd fit on 25mm bases. You can try to mount them diagonally to get them to fit, and there's a good chance their feet may hang over the edges a little bit depending on their stance. I'd also suggest removing the integral base and mounting them directly to the square base for a better fit.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

I don't have those orcs either, but 25mm is the way to go. I use rounds (makes positioning easier on a crowded board). If the feet hang over a little I tend not to worry much. EM-4 makes good plastic bases, but IIRC Reaper has 25mm rounds too...

Go with a 25mm HEX!!!!!! This you know exactly your front arc and the your diagonals. MUhahahah 

I'm not super duper experienced on tiles/size but when I ran a one-shot at work using the poster map that came with a 3/3.5 DMG, the base I used for Khavith fit just fine on the grid.

25mm or 1 inch is the correct size base, however these orcs stances dont fit very well on that base.  I havent based mine yet because of that problem and I havent figured out a good solution yet.

Thanks! If 25mm is the correct size I need to rethink my plans for the orcs. Need to find a solution to get them on those ones.. 

I better continue with the lizardmen.. they seem to fit to 25 and wait till I get a solution to have a decent base for the oversized orcs.

Yea, 25mm is the base you technically want to use, but the Bones orcs are in wide stances that don't play well with them. I'm almost at the point where I want to get rid of grids entirely for RPGs and just go with using a measuring tape like a wargamer(back to the RPG roots!) because I like dynamically posed minis, but dynamically posed minis tend not to work well with RPG grids and bases.

I'm currently working on those orcs and I'm basing them on 30 mm I think. They fit well on that and I'm okay with them being a bit larger than my adventurers. They still fit into that one grid thing okay-ish. I'm willing to play them as medium creatures on the bigger side of things in my 5e games. 

25 mm und 30 mm base on 1 inch grid paper.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sharkbelly
      I added three more heroes to my warband/adventuring party.
      Bretonnian Paladin

Imperial Noble
      Warrior Priest
    • By WhiteWulfe
      So, I'm about to start working on making some 3D bases of my own for my dragons (and hubby's too)...  Anyone have any pointers or tips on particular putted to use when coating stuff like cork to add more detail, or would there be much of a difference between say Milliput, greenstuff, or other things?   I ask as terrain generally doesn't require as much detail as a mini would, but it never hurts to get a few more opinions. 
      I do have greenstuff atm (and Aves Apoxie if this supplier I'm trying to buy some from sends me an invoice ), and might be ordering some other stuff, hence why I'm curious. 
      Love greenstuff for stamped or rolled bases, and gap filling (I suspect when I try sculpting I'll like it too, I'm enjoying how it behaves now that I've had a bit of time using it for gap filling and bases), but naturally I'm open to other options too. 
    • By Dr.Bedlam
      I have a question for you, if you're interested, and if you're willing to answer it. You can read my rambling explanation, or just skip to the picture of the d20 below if I'm boring you.

So I've been reading some blogs, blogs of Big Time Game Writers and Designers, right? I like to keep up on the history of the hobby, even while it's happening.

And I have discovered a thing: The Older Cousin Model.

Y'see, ever since D&D really started to hit the big time, the marketing people have been trying to figure out new ways to grow the game, grow the market, sell more units. It's what they do. Particularly under WotC, and ESPECIALLY with Hasbro. And they discovered an unusual thing.

Roleplaying games aren't like other games. A child sees a Star Wars Rebels boardgame, he's attracted to it because of the cartoon show, but if he's going to play the GAME, he has to sit down, read the rules, figure out how it works. If I find a Game Of Thrones card game, I do the same thing, although it's a safe bet the rules are lengthier and more complex. But the same is true of both myself and the Star Wars child: we see the game, get interested in the subject or license, buy or are given this game, we sit down and figure it out, and try to interest our friends in playing it with us. Sometimes Star Wars kid will play the game at his friend's house first, but like as not, he'll see it on a shelf and want it, without ever having played it before.
      ....................but not RPGs.
      Apparently, based on market research? Nearly all RPG players are taught to play by an actual human, THEN start jonesing for their own copy of the game. They have to catch the fever from existing RPG players before developing an interest in the hobby form. Apparently, AFTER you've mastered an RPG, THEN you might develop an interest in other RPGs or RPG genres, and you might, upon mastering D&D, get interested in one of Fantasy Flight's Star Wars RPGs, or a White Wolf LARP, or even just Pathfinder or Starfinder, and you might buy a copy, read the rules, and start your own game...

...but statistically, MOST of us apparently started out as acolytes at someone else's table.

They call it "The Older Cousin Model," in that most of us learned it from an older cousin, a sibling, kid we went to school with, whatever. The point is that most of us were TAUGHT, as opposed to doping it out ourselves. It's a social phenomenon as opposed to seeing it on a shelf or in an ad, and that apparently complicates the marketing of the product.

And that got my attention.

Y'see, I doped it out myself.

I was all of like, eleven, and reading this magazine, Rolling Stone's College Life, because, hey, college was far cooler than anything MY peer group was doing, right? And there was this article on this game that was sweeping the country's college campuses at the time, Dungeons and Dragons, where you could take the role of a barbarian or wizard, go slay dragons, become more powerful, have a magic sword, accumulate gold, build a castle... anything you wanted. The nerd equivalent of a permanent floating craps game in the dorm's TV room. It caught my interest, and the next time my immediate ancestors chose to visit civilization, I picked up a Holmes Basic Set at Spencer's Gifts... and there, all my weirdities began. Upon learning how to play the game, and finding others who were interested, everything else followed. Cool college guys used miniatures? Plainly, miniatures must be obtained... and painted. Some of these people play other games by SPI and Avalon Hill? Hm, this should be looked into. Hey, other RPGs like Traveller and Runequest? Investigate!
      But I had to work it out myself. I taught some friends to play afterwards, and the game took on a life of its own after that... but I was the one who lit the fire.

Upon thinking about it? Everyone else I ever played RPGs with? Either I taught them, or they already knew... having been introduced to the hobby by a friend or relative. Apparently, being a gamer is more a contagious paradigm than one imposed by one's environment or advertising.

...and this is what brings me to come bother YOU people. How did you get involved in RPGs? How did you learn to play? How did you develop the interest?

Was there an older cousin, sibling, friend, role model? Were you influenced by marketing or advertising? Trip over it at a comic shop? Encounter a screaming mob of beardos, flinging dice and invective at each other?

I'd like to know.
    • By Lidless Eye
      Just a few figures from the latest wave of Wizkid's Dungeons & Dragons: Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures line.  I think the line has improved a lot.

For whatever reason, my phone didn't want to focus on the thin Dragonborn faces.  

The only non-Dragonborn in the crew, a "Female Dwarf Barbarian".  She seems a bit heavily armored for that role to me, but I was impressed with her design from the first render preview.

• By Mutilatedlips
      Another mini from the Scourge of the Slave Lords set. I really like the way this guy came out. Although doesn't strike me as very Assassin looking, maybe Ranger. 

• Who's Online   26 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)