UnR3aLiTy

Bandit Bully: My first Mini

Looks good.

Don't worry about the sleeves.  Unless you're chatting with the original sculptor, there's not usually a right or wrong way.  Interpretation is your artistic license.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

He looks great!  

You don't need to worry about whether his arms are supposed to be sleeved or not, as there is no "official" way to paint a mini.  It's art and open to interpretation.    I painted a bunch of minis for the Frostgrave rules, which are set in a frozen city, so I did the same thing with some of the figures I painted; adding sleeves and leggings to arms and legs that were intended to be bare.    I think the black and red looks really effective on him.

• Like 4

What kind of paints are you using, and did you use any sealer on it?

You may want to get some matte varnish to use, at least on the clothes and bare skin to cut down on the glare.

Around his neck, consider using a thin black strip to separate the shirt and skin properly(lining) because there's a bit of overlow of the red onto the skin.  (You may have too much paint on your brush?)

It's a good first mini, looking forward to seeing your next.

But feel free to post a WIP, so that we can come with suggestions and helpful tips while you're working.

• Like 1

I hit him with a spray lacquer. I need to go out and buy some varnish. That way I can do matte on clothing and stuff that isn't supposed to shine. I used Citadel paints on him.

Edited by UnR3aLiTy
  • Like 2

Looks good!  Actually with the straps of all the armor it would be more likely that he would actually have sleeves.  IMHO.

• Like 1

Looks great!  Who's to say he isn't wearing a black shirt? That's the beauty of painting, it is up to you how you want your mini to look.  There is no "Right" or "Wrong" way!

• Like 1

He looks great, especially for a first go! If you look through the minis on the website, you'll see a lot of instances where someone paints skin vs another painting on clothing. I actually like the way the sleeves look. 

Also, these guys really lend themselves to the red don't they? If he's looking for a gang to join I hear there's one recruiting right now :lol:

• Like 1

Congrats, he looks very good for your first figure; he light years ahead of what my first one looked like.:winkthumbs:

On 2/21/2018 at 8:44 PM, Clearman said:

Looks good.

Don't worry about the sleeves.  Unless you're chatting with the original sculptor, there's not usually a right or wrong way.  Interpretation is your artistic license.

Exactly what he said.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By cassault
      These are the first figures I painted after lurking around here for a few months. Think they came out well.

• By Brianuk
      Am getting into painting Reaper Bones. After washing them in soap and water I worked up from washes with Army Painter inks. Then used base coats over that and further washes. I normally use "strong tone" but like to mix it up. C and c welcome. 

• By WhiteWulfe
      Couldn't resist the silly-ish title - it was originally going to be "Novice Painter, versus LTPK:Core!" but I changed it a touch at the end..  Bonus points if you read that as the Innkeeper from Hearthstone. :P 

While I have painted miniatures in the past, I've first and foremost never shown such results to anyone, and secondly went in blindly with those ones, and while I was happy with them at the time, I wanted to improve.  Other things in life took over for a while, and then finally I said that's it, I'm either going to FINALLY paint my primered army of doom that was at Doom In June 2005 or I'm going to sell the minis I've had sitting in boxes for over a decade.  So glad I found out about the Learn to Paint Kits, because that pretty much solidified that decision right then and there :P

Anyways!  At some point we were all at this stage, and while looking over the pictures I can see a number of things I can improve on (*cough* like my up close photography skills *cough*), but for most things...  I'm happy with them.  Especially the chain mail on the Orc Marauder.  I just might have to retake some of these photos, because I realize looking at them that, uhm, first and foremost f1.7 blurs half the model, and secondly, I didn't get a shot of the backside of the Marauder's Shield, which I was also happy about.  Oops.

But before I ramble on for three pages......!

Drybrushing feels sooooo weird, but it was starting to click once I got to Magnu, even if I wound up overdoing it in a few areas and it so wasn't a dry effect anymore.  But that's life, we learn from our actions!
    • By Rat13
      A while back my wife said she'd like to try painting sometime. I said sure and didn't really think about it, then tonight she said she'd like to try. Now I had just primed a bunch of miniatures a week or two ago, had I remembered that passing comment I would have primed one for her too.

When I first got into miniature painting I bought a few bags of skeletons (kind of like the old green plastic army men but they're yellowish skeletons). Size wise these skeletons are larger than a D&D skeleton. I planned to use a few as large skeletons, a minotaur skeleton, or a skeleton statue.

These miniatures were great to learn on, so I got one out for her to paint. These skeletons weren't really meant to be painted and if they're not primed you really need to layer it on. We muscled through though.

I took her step by step through the Reaper Learn to Paint pamphlet. Which is the same way I learned to do skeletons.

First we did a wet application of white followed by Dirty Bone. Next I had her apply a thin wash of Pure Black finishing it with a dry brush of Dirty Bone. 

Everything else got a simple wet layer. Shield and sword were Honed Steel, the helmet and back of the shield were Leather Brown, the pommel of the sword was a mixture (Pure Black, Honed Steel, and a little White), and the sword's decoration was White.

Painting a miniature especially a larger one may have given her a newfound respect for my hobby. I think it came out really well though.

• By Scorpionfish
      Hello all! After getting the Icestorm set all squared away I did end up filling out my roster to a full ITS capable army for Infinity, and now I need to paint them to completion so I can play! I'm starting with the Nomads first, mainly since one of the models I'm using to fill out the army is an infinity figure I've owned since before the current edition.

So here's the gang all together, and from left to right we have:
      Tomcat Engineer, Zondcat, Tomcat with DEP, Warcor, Reverend Custodier, Lunokhod Sputnik Remote, 2 CrazyKoalas, and a Bandit Hacker.

And speaking of the first Infinity figure, that would be the reverend Custodier. Her priming job is the worst I've ever done, and I cleaned it up, so how see how painting her goes, but she's all base coated and first in line.

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)