While I don't yet play D&D, I do enjoy painting miniatures & have recently gotten back into painting them after about a 20 year absence. Picking up paint today, I spied the Jungle Titan & thought it was too cool to pass up. I know a lot of Reaper's sculpts are inspired by various D&D monsters & I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the Jungle Titan. Is it something solely from Reaper's imagination or does it draw inspiration from other sources?

• Like 1

I don't think that the Jungle Titan is supposed to 'be' any specific monster for either DnD or Pathfinder.  Often, either a concept artist or a sculptor will have an idea and pitch/show it to Reaper Ron and if he likes it, it gets made.  That's what may have happened with the Jungle Titan.

I agree that this does not seem to be directly inspired by a recognizable D&D creature, but you could certainly use the mini to represent one. A search in dndbeyond 5e does not appear to reveal any humanoid reptilians that are of the large/huge size, aside from some Yuan-ti creatures that aren't really a good fit.  Could only find medium sized reptilian humanoids.  Still, I'm sure there must be something in an older edition that looks like this.  It doesn't have a great search feature, but this site has a nice catalogue of 2e creatures.

Edited by Goop
  • Like 1

I think that particular figure was meant to be a Kaiju, a Japanese fantasy/special effects type monster.  There were a number of asian inspired figures in KS3. 

On 4/5/2018 at 8:30 AM, Goop said:

Still, I'm sure there must be something in an older edition that looks like this.  It doesn't have a great search feature, but this site has a nice catalogue of 2e creatures.

It's described under "Gargantua - reptilian", but this figure would represent a rather tiny one, unless you went to 10mm scale for the rest of your figures.

Edited by ultrasquid

Don't know what he was intended for but he worked pretty well for "the king of feathers" in tomb of anhiliation 

• Like 1