Hello everyone,

Right managed to get quite a bit done today heres the floors in place waiting for the front to be added

Now after I put it all together, I've painted it and shaded it a bit: 

I'm quite pleased with the outcome thus far might add a bit more here & there such as a few burn marks where a floor has burnt out or water damage dirty it up a bit but overall it looks a lot better than the 1st picture in this thread as just a plastic grey building the adding of the bars/steel rods the bullet marks and sanding the edges not to be to smooth & regular made a lot of difference to the outcome if I had just painted it flat.

I'll make a start on the next building on the list

• Like 9

I'm not sure how it'd fit the look (I don't quite have a solid grasp on exactly HOW large or small these buildings are), but to decorate my own ruined buildings, I've been using a few plastic letter-board sets I've picked up at the local craft store.  (Every now and again, JoAnn Fabric offers up a 40-60% coupon on ONE item, and the store is on my way home from work.  I figure I'm SUPPOSED to buy more than just the one thing ... but I'll just grab some oddball item, and wait until I get a "25% off your entire purchase" before I pick up anything else.  ;)  )  Anyway, in most stores it ends up being near the papercraft items section that they have some little display board and then sets of plastic letters (or complete words in fancy script -- but not necessarily very USEFUL words for my purposes) that you can put on the boards like a marquee.  They come in different sizes, and I figure a few letters would work for some giant (short) company name or mysterious acronym (GENCO, ACME, whatever), with most of the letters still in place, but at least one letter broken loose and crashed into the ground, or precariously hanging at an angle.  (It's also an excuse to add some accents of color.)

Those "steel rods" sticking out of the walls and floor really add a lot of visual interest to the destroyed areas, and furthermore break up the artificiality of the original "break" lines, making it all look much more convincing.  I've tried using twisted bits of sprue for a similar purpose for larger (~25-32mm scale) buildings, but ... eh ... the results vary.  I think you really got it to work there.  :)

And I can sympathize about the uncertainty in which route to take.  Buildings with a bit of "overgrowth" would make for a great opportunity for points of color to break up the concrete grey, but might not necessarily make sense for a particular scenario or setting.

Anyway, it's looking great so far!  :D  I'm having fun watching how this is coming along.

• Like 5

Hi Jordan,

We think alike I was thinking the same thing about the corner building adding a downwards part destroyed sign, will have to check out the cheap shops for any children's letters that might be the right size, just started preparing the second building adding some more damage more steel rods etc. The 1st building gave me a good indication of how best to create the damage and in which order was the best way to proceed painting etc.

I was wondering about the adding of signs to the outside of the other buildings might make them more like old electronic billboards that are now out of commission due to theres no language / letters on the buildings to make them a little more genetic.

I appreciate any feedback especially great ideas like this, or even constructive criticisms if it helps make them better and helps me  to push the project onwards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hosercanadian said:

Another option, although anbit more tedious is to print out letters on card and cut them out with a scapel.

Yep I though about this as well, was shopping today and sneaked off to the craft Isle and found these with a little bit of work might be handy

they will need a little work to work well but the basic lettering is there,  might have to cut a few in half (not a big job) to reduce their projection down a bit on some but theres definitely promise here.

• Like 6

Great idea with those letter beads!  I see now that the letter pieces I was thinking of would be WAY TOO LARGE for this size of a building.

Hey, by any chance do you have one of those old-style "label makers" around?  I have one that I hardly ever use because the label-stuff has never been sufficiently sticky to adhere to much of anything without simply peeling itself off (since the thick plastic of the reel is curved and seems inclined to STAY that way, regardless of how flat the surface is that it's attached to).  Another problem is that the letters it creates by stamping into the plastic tend to wobble up or down compared to the baseline, since it's hard to line up the tape JUST SO in the puncher.  I've still used it for a bit of sign-making for buildings, and the "wobbly" vertical variance isn't necessarily out of keeping with the style of some signage I've tried doing for retro 1960s-ish buildings for Fallout.

Of course, there's always the shortcut of just PRINTING something on paper or cardstock, to get instant billboards and such.

Now I want to check out the local thrift store and just keep a watch out for random pieces of junk that for whatever reason have raised lettering as part of a plastic shell that I could perhaps shave off and force-fit into some sort of ruined signage.  :D  (Or, more likely, I'd use a bit of Instant Mold / Japanese "plastic clay" and make a temporary impression for a push-mold, press some epoxy putty into the indentation, and then have as many copies of the letter as I wish, minus having to Dremel or cut it off of a surface.)

One time, I used a piece of plastic sprue from Games Workshop ... and cut out the sprue with "WORKSHOP" in raised letters on the back of it and turned that piece into a "workshop" sign.  I suppose I could use the "GAMES" part of the sprue for something that's supposed to represent an arcade.

A useful tool for creating high-tech ruins is what Froggy the Great calls "granny grating": plastic cross-stitch plastic, such as can be found in just about any craft store -- sometimes in different colors.  It doesn't directly apply to the lettering angle, but it might serve as backing for a sign, or some other surface, and it's easily enough cut with scissors for an irregular "battle damage" look.

If I see anything in the craft store that I think might be useful at 10mm scale, I'll try to take a picture to share.  :)

• Like 3

Nice ideas will look forward to what you find.

Time for an Update: 

Managed to get a bit done during the week its far from ready but ready for tabletop gaming I really want the paint to dry fully before I do anymore work on it so here's build 2

Added a metal railing to the top little room

Side by side comparison of this building and one that is yet to be done

Found these in the cheap shop today might be handy to make signs from as the plastic is about the right width

on sale here ::D:

Cut some of the beads in half their projection is not as much so will look better now when painted up

Hmm  Wonder what this could end up as?? Plastic top from a bit of computer packaging

All will be revealed, my mad plans for it..

Anyhow thats it for this update

catch up soon

• Like 8

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      got a 3D printer, or access to a friends, or one at a library or university this might be for you

With this project I will be bring you a collection of Sci-Fi Vehicles and Artillery to be used in whatever tabletop game you choose. With more vehicles being added as stretch goals are hit. All sculpts will be supplied as 3d printable STL files.

Why am I doing this project?

My passions are sculpting, 3d printing and wargames. I wanted to be able to field the sort of armys I wanted without breaking the bank. So I started sculpting the sort of models I needed. After sculpting quite a range I decided to bring it to Kickstarter to enable me to further expand the range.

I have a Patreon page were I produce sculpts for my backers each month as well as a website where you can see some of my past work. So you can be sure I have the knowledge required to deliver printable files, and can be trusted to deliver them in a time frame.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/Duncan_shadow

Scale: The default scale of my files is 32mm / 28mm Heroic, but Being 3D Files they can be scaled up or down.

What do I get?

As soon as the kickstarter has ended and funds cleared you will receive 3d Printable files in a stl format. You can print as many of the figures on your home printer as you want, or send the files to a external printer to do the printing for you.

The kickstarter includes 7 vehicles 1 walker and 2 artillery pieces, with extra weapon options, (see below) to start with, more sculpts being unlocked in the near future.

Main battle tank comes with multiple turret, hull and sponson guns.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS. When you contribute to This campaign, you will receive STL files for the models as per your selected pledge. The pledge files will be delivered May 2018, with successful stretch goals arriving later. You can print these files for your personal use, but you may not sell the printed items for profit or distribute the digital 3D models/files to other parties.
    • By Chaoswolf
      Lithia surveyed her surroundings warily; the battle for this ship wasn't over yet. Thanks to the warning from that ELz-1 protection unit that their unusual passenger had, they were aware of the raiders almost as soon as they struck. The rest of the ship's security and crew had broken up into small groups to ferret out the attackers. Thanks to her background with the commandos, she was scouting ahead of the main group by herself, which was exactly how she liked it.
      I found this figure on the melt table at Reapercon; she was headless and had some damage to her back, but I liked the figure and grabbed it anyway. I recently rediscovered her a few weeks ago while I was looking for something else, and decided to fix her up. Her head came from ShieldWolf miniatures plastic shieldmaiden kit, and I covered up the damage on her back by giving her a backpack/comm unit/tech thingy made from part of a GW plasma pistol, and bits of Bones sprue carved to shape.
      Thanks for looking.

• By Darsc Zacal
      EDIT: Kickstarter is now Live!
      "Hi everyone, we are back - and with a brand new Kickstarter!
      Later this week we are launching a Kickstarter featuring Viking and Anglo-Saxon ships, buildings and accessories - and we wanted to get the word out.

Yes...more ships! During the Kickstarter we'll be making some of our older ships and popular models available for a limited time as well as the new ones. Same designs - but now unpainted.
      To recap on our history: Last year we closed up our webstore and decided to pretty much quit making models. But after some thought we came up with the idea for a "Model of the Month" (MoTM) - evolve to go forward! Each month we make a brand new model available for purchase - we take orders, build and ship exactly that number, then "retire" the kit and move on to something else on the next month.
      We have been slowly building up customers and getting the word out there. Some models did better than others but what was clear to us was that we still enjoyed making models, just at a more relaxed pace. Only doing one model a month was way more enjoyable and because we could mass-produce more efficiently - it's also a better business model for us.
      Renaissance Miniatures has never been our bread and butter. We do okay on Model-of-the-Month and Kickstarters but the webstore was always more pain than gain.
      Then came our small Viking ship as one of our MoTM offerings. Vikings was a genre we had never done before but our ship models are always a favorite of customers. So, rather than spinning them out over months - lo and behold: A new Kickstarter featuring what a lot of people know us for..ships!

The Model of the Month is on hold right now while we get the Kickstarter running - but it'll start up again in a couple of months. But for now, the Viking Kickstarter is the main priority. Getting the models made and sent out to backers as quickly as possible.
      So please join us next week and follow along. Give us some feedback and lets make this fun again. We love talking with you guys. And we love having our models be involved with your enjoyment of tabletop gaming. Now....lets play!
      If all goes well, we'll launch the new Kickstarter on the 9th (this coming Friday)"
    • By Chaoswolf
      Elpagg glanced over over the unconscious woman; she'd make an excellent prize to deliver to the cap'n. They would probably get a decent price for her at the slave markets of Nepo-7. Well, if  she lived that long...
      The raider shook his head to clear his thoughts. Best to concentrate on right now, he thought, as he continued to loot her cabin. She had jewelry and some tech equipment that would bring in a nice pile of credits; all of this was haphazardly piled on the table as he continued going through the storage compartments of her cabin.
      Suddenly, he heard a slight noise come from the other room. Damn! He should have made certain she was alone before he started to ransack her quarters. He drew his pistol and began to approach the other room. As he did so, he saw a small female shape outlined in the light coming through the open doorway.
      He grinned to himself, this was getting better and better. "Come on out here, girlie. I promise I ain't gonna hurt ya"
      The figure remained motionless for what seemed like ever, but was probably only 30 seconds, then took an uncertain step forward, rising it's hands at the same time.
      Something screamed a warning in the back of Elpagg's mind, but it was already too late. The brilliant flash of light and the searing pain from his chest both registered in his brain within milliseconds of each other.
      The ELz-1 personal protection droid scanned the raider and confirmed that  he was dead. Performing the same scan on the body of her mistress confirmed that she was still alive, and only slightly injured. Ellie, as her mistress called her, set about securing the cabin against any further intrusion, before running it's first aid programs on the unconscious woman.
      This is a  Bubblegum Crisis robot figure from Ground Zero Games that I snagged out of a BoGW a while back, and finally decide to paint.   I wanted 'her' to be a little old and dinged up looking, so I did a lot of weathering to the figure.
      I hope you like her!

• By Doublesix66
      Hi All,
      I'm starting this thread to show the progress of a Neo-Soviet 15mm army I've been meaning to paint for quite a while .you know the feeling think thats great idea to collect but don't get around to starting them...
      Heres the lot that will be painted up most of the Vehicles are from Armies Army (sold to Brigade & the Scene in the UK I believe) the BTR 160s & BTR 290s are nice as there are lots of variants APC's Ambulance, recovery vehicles etc which will work well for scenarios which we hope to play.
      Time to get these out of Storage
      A lot of Vehicles
      Nice castings
      Heavy support from the QRF range
      Air support / transport (I think this was from the Critical Mass games collection)
      Infantry (AA which I think Brigade has now)
      Extra bits such a crew, disembarked crew, machine guns, stowage to add to vehicles
      Some GZG Robots to be used as mobile gun platforms
      So as you can see quite a big force I'll keep this thread going as I add to it over the year, I may add a couple  of more items as I have no proper tanks in the force and brigade models has now reproduced its 6mm range into 15mm
  • Who's Online   26 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)