Shpam

14672, battle nun

Hello everyone!

I haven’t been painting minis for long and this is my first attempt at highlighting « properly ». I chose the Battle nun because there aren’t too many details on it, but still multiple folds on the fabric.

So here it is. Any feedback is welcome!

63DD46FC-85EA-4603-A92E-DEBF2C9B3996.jpeg

7C792870-B9F2-4238-9C77-B1094A3F9CC8.jpeg

F9E6F16D-5842-4FE3-B3C1-EF9899D987B5.jpeg

Edit : I think I misplaced the topic, it would probably better suit the « show off » forum. :unsure:

Edited by Shpam
  • Like 12

Very nice!

I would flock that base with some sand or flock , it will improve the overall look.

• Like 2

On 24/02/2018 at 11:08 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Very nice!

I would flock that base with some sand or flock , it will improve the overall look.

Thanks a lot!
I'll try to do something with the base. I never tried it, so I'm afraid of ruining the mini as I'm quite happy with its painting... <_<

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shpam said:

Thanks a lot!
I'll try to do something with the base. I never tried it, so I'm afraid of ruining the mini as I'm quite happy with its painting... <_<

Basing can be very simple.

Use PVA ( the white glue) I apply it with a toothpick to make sure it gets where I want it to.

Put the sand or flock you wish to apply in a small container.

Dip the base while the glue is wet.

Wait a few seconds, then hold the mini on the side and gently tap against the bottom of the base to remove excess flock.

I usually spray antishine sealer whe it is all dry to prevent it from falling off.

You could also use an old brush, dipped in brush on sealer mixed with a little water and gently tap the flock/sand with it.

Let it dry..

• Like 2

I tried it and here it is!

Is it better?

I think I could have put less glue, the feet look a little buried.

DC9C4BA0-2DD5-4094-8900-67DE5476255C.jpeg

• Like 10

now for the next step, most paint the sand as grass, dirt, etc and you won't notice the foot. Also had luv the idea of the gold blades.

• Like 3

I made a mess. ::(:

After painting the base, I used some spray varnish. I don’t know how it happened but it appears that I put way too much of it... Now it’s completely covered with that thick grey filter.

There was even a big drop of it under one of the blades, and it made the paint go when I swiped it off... is there any way to take that varnish off without completely removing the paint ?

49BFD760-506B-44AA-8C99-28F0E002547D.jpeg

239A52D1-5830-4E93-834E-346132538FA7.jpeg

48C1AC03-A507-44E9-8593-BEE236D9CD72.jpeg

CDD92992-EF78-4035-910D-9F667106BBFF.jpeg

Edited by Shpam
Typo
  • Like 1

Darn I wish I could help but have no idea but what you have already done. I'd take an x-acto blade and snip the drop than just paint over that area again and remember when spraying always use a sweeping motion and spray at least 10 inches away.

• Thanks 1

The under colors don't look gray, just a little muted, maybe you could just re do the highlights to make them pop again?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice!

I finally tried to dip a Q-tip in nail polish remover and gently brushed the mini with it. It removed most of the gray filter, so the battle nun is back to business.

It seems to have removed all the matte sealer I put on, and even some paint (the pewter is visible on some angles).

I should probably clean the mini before putting some paint over the nail polish remover. I can’t use the usual toothbrush and soap, do you think I could just rince it with water?

49560F0C-1FDF-4839-9CAE-3F6D3FA4F82A.jpeg

• Like 4