Good looking figure.  You did a great job on the base.  I can appreciate feeling apprehension on a figure.  On one hand I know I have to try things to improve or try (like basing, painting techniques, use of colors, etc...), but on the other hand I don't want to make the figure look worse. 

• Like 2

SPLENDID! You seem to hit a new high with each new creation. The Old Balrog painted & based up WONDERFULLY. The sword & eye are a nice flaming effect. VERY WELL DONE!

• Like 1

This guy looks great!

I feel you on wanting to try new things but not wanting to much up an otherwise good paint job.

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

13 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Very cool mini, nicely painted, blast into the past!  Of course don't quite remember was  the Lord of the Rings Balrog from their boxed sets?

I'm not entirely certain where this guy came from; I'm pretty positive I didn't buy him from the store, so he was either part of an ebay win, or else I traded for him with one of my friends back when we were kids ( and he was brand new :lol:).

• Like 2

Wow.  I haven't seen one of those pieces in years.  It's great to see one painted.  Very nice.

The Egg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

So went and checked and it looks like he came from the Lord of the Rings set where the villains were:  http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Image:G-lotr-7502-ref.jpg

Set 7502 "Sauron's Dark Ones"

Cool, thanks for the info! it looks like I had a couple others from that set at one point as well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chaoswolf
      Here's the official arrival/departure thread for round 8 of the Box of Goodwill.

Remember, no chatter here, please. Do it here instead:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/85639-box-of-goodwill-round-8-picturechatter-thread/

Generic Fighter
      AHY79
      ObiJohn27
      Pineapple
      3vil3lvis
      Hungerfan
      Synistar
      Generic Fighter

Clearman---sent 4/20
      Crowley
      Dilvish the Deliverer
      TripleH
      KangarooRex
      Cassu
      Lidless Eye
      Sylverthorne
      Clearman

Inarah---sent 4/19
      Broonkah
      Gaming Dog
      Argentee
      Izzy Lobo
      Kristof65
      MattParody
      Fire Eyes
      Inarah

PCKTLNT
      Mutilated Lips
      Warlady
      Sanael
      Hiddenone32
      Keianna
      Dr.Bob
      PCKTLNT

Rob Dean
      Autumn Hare
      Ratmaster2000
      SGHawkins09
      Horned Turtle
      Marc
      TGP
      Cygnwulf
      Rob Dean

Guindyloo
      Chris Palmer
      Holk Diggity
      Samurai Jack
      McKenna35
      Wyvernfire
      Buckyball
      Jodie
      Guindyloo

Rat13
      Klarg1
      Pingo
      Talespinner
      Morihalda
      Disserma
      Marineal
      Rat13

Chaos Wolf
      Mad Jack
      Haldir
      Corsair
      Glitterwolf
      Mini Dungeon Master
      Flit
      Chaos Wolf

Have fun!!

• By Rat13
      With my Cadian army nearly finished and my wife's army at a playable state I decided to take a break from 40k painting. Since I've been painting for our actual armies for so long I decided to start a new WIP thread rather than use my old random projects thread (the "Too Many Projects" thread will be replaced by this one).

But before getting too far ahead I'd like to show everyone just how bad my box got while painting for 40k and killteam. This of course doesn't include any GW boxes I may or may not have on hand to paint "just for fun". I swear I'll paint those Skaven sooner or later.

Though some of the figures were closer to completion, I simply couldn't resist painting one I've had my eye on for months (I mean this quite literally as the figure sat on my lamp's base since I first got it and probably ended up in the background of many of my progress shots). When I first pulled this from a box of goodwill I knew exactly what I wanted to do. This figure just screamed Don Quixote, at least to me it did. So that's exactly how I painted it and though it may just be a simple paint job I'm already thinking about creating a new character just to use it.
    • By Maledrakh
      The female changed from being a Storm Giant to being a Cloud Giant between the kickstarter and the retail release of the miniature. Whatever the subtype, she still gets a case of Smurfette syndrome.

The pose of the female is a bit strange, and she does have a certain supermodel-vibe going on. Reaper has explained that the pose was meant to illustrate her bending down to talk to someone human sized, and as such it is not too bad. But taken out of context it just comes off as a bit cheesecake-ish. Reaper has acknowledged that the pose did not work as intended. The swimsuit-like corset really does not help to avoid this impression at all.
      Again, a mini with a slight case of bendyweaponitis. (which, in fact, is the proper scientific name for it). Treated with hot water then cold to straighten out the worst of it.

I based her on a 50mm round lipped base.

77162 Yephima, Female Cloud Giant (the male one did not get a proper name, I wonder why not?)
      From the first Bones kickstarter, 2013
      Storm Giants subset.
      Reaper Miniatures
      sculpted by Patrick Keith
      Bonesium PVC
      50mm round lipped base
      available from reapermini.com
    • By Maledrakh
      Storm Giant. Or Blue Zeus if you will.

Being from the first Bones kickstarter, this mini is in the softer material. That big sword there was a noodle when I received it. I repositioned it with hot water, and again, it is for the most part OK even if it is slightly bent, it is only apparent from certain angles.
      Also, it has a mould line indentation groove going down the front shoulder that I probably should have filled, as it became very apparent after painting.
      I based it on a 76mm bespoke 3Dprinted round lipped base.

For some reason, the female is quite a lot smaller than the male. Say what you will, they certainly are giant sized when compared with humans!
      I chose to paint them as Papa Smurf and Smurfette, just because.

In the third kickstarter Reaper started redoing the Giants, replacing them with significantly larger versions of previously released ones. These have not been remade (yet). I would expect them to do that in the expected-to-be-upcoming fifth kickstarter, as they have recently shown off a print of the same female figure in a different pose and at about twice the size.

77163: Male Storm Giant
      From the first Bones kickstarter, 2013
      Storm Giants subset.
      Reaper Miniatures
      sculpted by Julie Guthrie
      Bonesium PVC
      76mm 3Dprinted base.
    • By Maledrakh
      The second of the day's random bones is the Flesh Golem from the third kickstarter.

Basically your Frankenstein's Monster. There was a flesh golem in the first kickstarter as well, but this one is larger, fatter and he has got technological bits sticking out here and there.
      I painted the different parts in several distinct fleshtones, but the subsequent wash with Druuchi Violet and Athonian Camoshade evened out the colour significantly more than I expected. The purple seams I painstakingly painted in more or less dissappeared! The ripped pants started out dark blue green, but ended up dark brown.
      Apart from the drying time I spent maybe half an hour on this mini.

Frankenstein's Ogre!

77512: Flesh Golem
      From the third Bones kickstarter, 2015
      Stoneskull expansion
      Reaper Miniatures
      sculpted by Julie Guthrie
      Bonesium PVC
      40mm base.

• Who's Online   41 Members, 2 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)